Don't... by Jack L. Pyke

…JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS

Don’t
…FALL FOR JACK, JAN or GRAY

…WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first chapter I had to relearn my British a bit, then I was off and running. I can’t really tell you if I was more into the thriller or the sex content. Both equally, I guess. Hot, sexy, thrilling, edge-of-your-seat stuff here.

Believe it or not this was my first m-m-m ménage read and I loved it. I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but, well, it’s mine. Yay, whole new genre.

THE CHARACTERS

Jack - He’s one complex character. The kind of character that has you asking so many questions. Questions to help you understand human nature and response. I love this stuff. Jack is a Master Dom’s sub, with unique power tendencies and an OCD/ODD condition to just twist things up a bit.

Colour flushed my cheeks… "Caged lover.” Jan’s breath was against my ear. “Intriguing.” A very discreet rub of the back of his hand down the cage shaft.

Jan - Mmmmmm, yeah I really, really like Jan. Sexy, young, intelligent, kind and vanilla in a very, very different world. When he and Jack meet it’s instant attraction and action.

I’d never been around a guy who wore a dress, certainly not one who wore a dress like that. … long legs, small frame, yet when she’d sat on my lap, male had made its presence known, and every confusion in me had disappeared.

Gray - Well here’s the mystery man at his best. Even after finishing this book I’m not completely clear on him. That’s not a bad thing, it just adds to the intrigue.

That was his puller, making you seem like nothing else in the world mattered to him but you. Pity it was only a party trick..

THE STORY

The complexity of this straight-forward story is amazing. Yes, I got lost, then I totally got it only to find out I didn’t know anything. There’s sweet romance mixed with a very twisted background mystery/thriller all surrounded in a wild, privileged BDSM world that even vanilla me wants to be involved in.

Trust, respect, compassion.

I definitely want more and, if I had any complaints, it would be that while the story felt complete I just didn’t get enough. I want to spend more time in the Masters’ Circle and more time watching Jack, Jan and Gray.

THE WRITING

The brilliance in this writing lies in the authors ability to completely wrap you up in the scenes she’s building. She creates a very full world with constantly moving elements that have your mind so focused you-are-there.

Combine that with characters that jump off the page and I think you’ve got it all. Jack’s gruff nature. Jan’s gentle tenderness. Gray’s sophisticated cool. I think there’s something for 'almost' everyone.

EXCEPTIONAL

~ ~ ~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
After finishing this novel and mulling over what I had read before I was suddenly reminded of a line in one of the lyrics of the musical Chess - One Night in Bangkok. The line went: "in a show with everything but Yul Brynner". Now I copied those words from an online source, and reading further down I was struck with more lines that could be seen to fit this novel nicely.

No, the novel is not about chess.
What it is about? Well, everything really, but Yul Brynner.
Which is sad in a way, because I really like Yul Brynner. Don't know exactly why, his bone structure maybe.
Bone structure is also what's lacking in this novel in my opinion.

A bdsm thriller is what the blurb calls it.
Well, one may argue very convincingly that it is definitely not bdsm that is depicted, at least not what most bdsm-ers would feel comfortable calling bdsm. I've seen work by reviewers that have done exactly that, and a lot better than I could, so I'll leave well enough alone.

A thriller then?
Well, maybe. But for a novel to earn the thriller tag, it would have to be a major ingredient of the plot. And it's not.
Well, not more than the other things that it is not as well. E.g.:
- an exploration of various disorders that people can suffer from, mostly indicated by abbreviations such as OCD, ODD, CD.
- a love story (although there is a happy ending of sorts)
- a remake in text of the latest James Bond or Jason Bourne Something movie.
- a manual for inter-garage relations (main character Jack is a mechanic and owns and sort of runs a car garage.)
- an introduction into secret societies of the kinky kind. Possibly shady, possibly high-class, there's not enough to tell for sure.

There may be more. And none of them add enough weight to use them as a tag for this novel. That's what I mean when I write the novel lacks bone structure in my opinion.

Characters then? They're gorgeous to look at. One is described as having a swimmer's butt, and I know for a fact that looks really nice on a man. Other than that I really don't know enough about them to give you a good idea as to their character or if it develops.

Sexy sex? Possibly. I can't answer for anyone else, but there a couple of scenes that rang some bells for me.

Disturbing? No, not in general; plotwise, there's just too much of the 'nah, not realistic, couldn't happen, in your dreams, fantasy clearly' element to make it truely disturbing. Well, a few instances are very very disturbing. The 'dom in training' who doesn't know which end is which on a whip and who is given the task to punish a sub. The picture of the fingers with its nails neatly placed beside the fingers. The person threateningly made out to like breath play to the point of asphyxiation. Eeeeeeewl... Yeah, that kind of creeped me out, to put it mildly.

But why am I writing this anyway? It's probably a waste of words, since I predict a good chance of a potential reader not reading past chapter 13, that would be at around 30% of the novel. Because up to that point the novel is boring, well imo of course. I almost stopped reading right then and there. Almost. I read on.
And at that point the author literally changed all the rules that she had set up before, by mentioning one (or two) crucial things she carefully avoided mentioning before. How's that for foul play? Mindfuck you say? No, in my book that is called cheating. And not fair!
But still I read on, because it did explain some inexplicable things, but not all of them. And the novel then picks up an incredible amount of speed. Almost exponentially. Really amazing. And so I read the whole thing.
And it ended, what's the word...mushy?...lovey-dovey? Something like that. And because it's spring at the time I was reading the novel and writing this review, that redeemed the novel somewhat, as in, ´aw, that's so *cute*!´.

But it wasn´t enough to redeem the novel as a whole.

On a positive note: the writing style was very readable. ( )
  Bluerabella | Apr 21, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,384,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible