Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New…

Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New 52) (Batman (DC Comics)) (edition 2013)

by Scott Snyder (Author), Greg Capullo (Illustrator)

Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:Batman Vol. 3: Death of the Family (The New 52) (Batman (DC Comics))
Authors:Scott Snyder (Author)
Other authors:Greg Capullo (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2013), 176 pages

Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family by Scott Snyder

This was... Well, it was just what I was looking for. It was horrifying in that what the Joker planned and did made so much sense, in a twisted way. You could see it playing out just as he'd hoped, and that made it terrifying.

Bruce. So many secrets. It might be time to realize that your family doesn't need you to protect them from knowledge. It's past time, actually. In the end, the Joker got what he wanted after all. The family is separate, Batman is alone.

I knew Bruce was correct in his reasoning that the Joker never came into the batcave. But, still, I couldn't help but feel the fear that he could have. That he so easily could have found out everything about everyone.

The scene with Bruce-as-Bruce holding the calling card up to the Joker's cell... What was he thinking?! That's the secret that could have harmed everyone. And that's all on him.

You're afraid to kill him because Gotham might send you something worse? Worse than HIM?

The Joker was right; there is something that connects Batman and the Joker, and it's something very real on both their parts. It's fascinating and frightening. Basically, I loved this.

(Read as individual comics) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Deeply disturbing rework on the Joker and Batman's links with him. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
One of the best Joker stories. Too much sidekick chatter. Contains a typo. Slightly annoyed at both things. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
At what point do you finally kill the man who keeps killing people in horrible nasty ways for fun out of pity and mercy for future victims? For Batman and Gotham the answer seems to be never. So the Joker returns and tortures and kills scads of folks and makes the police and Batman look helpless. Batman "wins" in the end and the Joker runs away. Sure to return and kill more folks someday. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
I love the world of Batman. Bruce Wayne is the epitome of an antihero, and his stories are exciting, dark but fascinating, and good triumphs in the end. While I expect the grim aspect of a Batman story, this volume in the series exceeded my expectations. It is very dark and disturbing. Joker returns, and considering his previous history, I suppose they had to raise the stakes to prove him as Batman's most threatening foe. Joker is first seen in a horrible killing spree in the Gotham Police Department, and Gordon is spared his life by Batman's timely arrival. Turns out Joker was only leaving his calling card, though, and soon reveals to Batman that his real target is Batman's family: Nightwing, Batgirl, and all the other crime-fighting associates considered a part of the bat family. Batman strives to stay one step ahead of the lunatic, especially after the Joker kidnaps Alfred, but he isn't able to prevent the madman from taking his family. While Batman does thwart Joker's plans before he can kill the others in front of his eyes, the whole ordeal leaves a deep, negative impact on everyone. Admittedly, the story was riveting, but equally true is the fact that I felt a sense of relief when I finished. In addition to the upsetting story line, the art was truly creepy, with the joker wearing his face pinned back in place, after having previously had it cut off. This central device sets the tone for the illustrations, which are gorey and intense, much like the story. While I like the dynamic between Batman and Joker, this was too much for me. I can't deny it was a good story: well-written, clever twists and real development for Batman and Joker, and with a potential to upset the whole Gotham universe. Nonetheless, I hope subsequent stories give us a breather. ( )
  nmhale | Feb 1, 2015 |

Scott Snyderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tynion IV, JamesAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Capullo, GregIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glapion, JonathanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
JockIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In hindsight, there were signs... omens of the terrible things to come.

Collects: BATMAN 13-17.

After having his face sliced off one year ago, the Joker makes his horrifying return to Gotham City! But even for man who's committed a lifetime of murder, he's more dangerous than ever before. How can Batman protect his city and those he's closest to? It all leads back to Arkham Asylum...--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,652,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible