Penguin on Vacation by Salina Yoon

Penguin on Vacation

by Salina Yoon

197590,318 (3.83)4

I liked this book for 3 reasons. The first reason I like the book is because of the language the author uses. It's very simple but does a great job of activating a child's imagination. For example of one page it said "the waves swelled bigger and bigger. The sun shone hottie and hotter" .

The second reason I liked this book was because it used dialogue as well as being told in the third person. The reader gets a view into the character's perspective to what is happening as well as receiving all the information necessary to understand the story.

The third reason I liked this book was because of how the illustrations paired nicely with the story. When the penguin was at his home the illustrations were mostly cool colors like blue but when the penguin was on vacation it was mostly warm colors like red. I think The main idea of this book was how even though people come from different places and have different ideas of fun, you can teach each other new things and become friends. A good example of this is on the last page and you can see some penguins skating on the ice but others or building snow castles and playing beach volleyball too and they would not know about these things had it not been for the penguin and the crabs friendship ( )
  DSalah1 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I received this book for free through GoodRead's First Reads. It is a lovely story of a penguin who just wants a vacation. My son and I have read it quite a few times already. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Penguin goes on vacation in the tropics and makes friends with a crab. Simple and charming. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Penguin is tired of the cold weather. He decides he is going to go on vacation to the beach. He soon realizes though that he can not do his favorite activities at the beach. A friend comes along and introduces himself to Penguin and shows him some fun things that they can do on the beach together.
This was a very cute book with great illustrations for children. I loved the way that the author included the Penguin's thoughts as well. For example, on page 2 Penguin has a snowball in his hand and the author wrote "Snow again?" above the Penguin's head to signal his thoughts about the weather. This allows for children to more easily understand the characters and understand why Penguin wants to go on vacation. This book would be great for children to begin to understand the concept of vacation as well. The animals go on vacation together, which will help to introduce the concept of vacation to young children.
The central message of this book is one of friendship. The Penguin makes friends with the Crab while on vacation and in the end the Crab comes back to visit the Penguin. This story shows the importance and value a friendship has to those involved in the relationship. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Really simple but cute book about going somewhere new and not knowing what to do. Crabs and Penguins wouldn't normally be friends, but in this book they show each other how to enjoy their own homes separately and become friends for life. ( )
  lilred18 | Apr 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0802733964, Library Binding)

Seasoned illustrator Salina Yoon's spare text and bright, energetic illustrations bring this favorite character to life, ensuring that readers will be clamoring for more Penguin stories--whether they find their home in the cold or the warm.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

"Penguin's tired of the snow and cold--so he decides to go on vacation! But where should he go? And what new friends will he meet along the way?"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,445,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible