The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

The Shock of the Fall (edition 2014)

by Nathan Filer

Member:psutto
Title:The Shock of the Fall
Authors:Nathan Filer
Info:The Borough Press (2014), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2014 challenge

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allan (tcarter)
    Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books do a great job of helping the reader understand what it's like to experience a mental illness. Whilst neither shy away from the suffering that accompanies this both are ultimately hopeful books.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (AlisonY)

English (44)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (47)
A few reviewers have criticised this novel as the output of a creative writing course.
When you read the author Q&A at the end of the book it is clearly something else.
It is the output of someone who was serious and passionate enough about the story he wanted to tell to go on a creative writing course to be able to tell it properly.
Story first, ability to write it second.
End result is excellence.
Yes it is hard to follow in places as the memories are rearranged like furniture in Matthews mind (Nathan made up the furniture simile not me) and I think that is why it is chaotic in places. I'm taking that as a clever bit of creative writing to communicate the feel of Matthews condition and create suspense.
I don't normally read this genre of fiction but found it among the most compelling books I have ever read.
I spend enough time writing myself to be able to claim to be an amateur unpublished part time author (like 10,000's of others) and I'm going through the "desperate to tell a story and learning how to tell it properly process" myself.
Nathan's success here shows hope that it can be done.
(This review is also posted on Amazon) ( )
  AdrianGHilder | Feb 22, 2017 |
Review to come ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Stylistically, reminded me of a schizophrenic version of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, but it lacked the charm of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night. While this was a ok book, it was also depressing and kind of bleak. I felt unsettled the whole time reading it. I think the unique format possibly got this book some extra attention and praise, but I feel somewhat deflated by the whole thing. The writing just wasn't able to carry the story for me and midway through I felt like I might need anti depressants after reading this. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
7/10 ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |
I decided to read this even though it's part of a mini genre of fiction that I'm not greatly sold on - the 1st person narrative from a mentally disturbed child's point of view. However, I quite liked this up to about three quarters of the way through. The initial sections which build up his childhood home life and his relationship with his learning disabled brother are very good and quite moving. However, once he becomes a teenager in an institution battling with schizophrenia, I began to lose interest. But the narrative voice is very well sustained and the alternative narrative provided by letters also works well. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
It's an unsettling read but a perceptive and moving one. One image stayed with me. Matthew refers to his life as "watching my helium balloon slowly die".

Nathan Filerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoekmeijer, Nicolettesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emily
I should say that I am not a nice person. Sometime I try to be, but often I'm not.
I do not have a split mind. I am not different people. I am myself, the same self I have always been, the one person I can never escape.

'I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you're going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.' The Shock of the Fall is an extraordinary portrait of one man's descent into mental illness. It is a brave and groundbreaking novel from one of the most exciting new voices in fiction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,902,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible