Safe House by Andrew Vachss

Safe House (1998)

by Andrew Vachss

Series: Burke (10)

I was looking for book with male characters that were broken inside but with a tough exterior that push people away yet still do good even it is through violence. I found that exact person in the character of Burke. My first introduction to him in this novel just made me want to run out and get every other book in the series. I *love* it when I discover a new series of novels that I know I will enjoy from the start. ( )
  kanata | Apr 11, 2010 |
Burke's fellow ex-convict Hercules kills a man who pulls a gun on him, during an anti-stalking operation.

This gets Burke involved with a woman who runs the titular operation.

What is more, there is a neonazi group planning to blow up a whole lot of the city, and Herk is just the guy to infiltrate this, if he wants a new life and a way to stay out of jail for the earlier killing.

Starts pretty well, loses its way a little in the middle and wraps up really quickly.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2009/03/safe-house-andrew-vachss.html ( )
  bluetyson | Mar 18, 2009 |
Interesting story of Burke - hardcore criminal and man-for-hire - who is drawn into investigating some stalkers when one of his friends ends up implicated with the death of a man. There are elements of spousal abuse, stalker issues, neo-nazis and a bombing plot. Being a man who is outside the law he has issues of trust.

It's interesting but not necessarily something I would hunt out more about, however if I happened on more I'd read them. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Sep 2, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375700749, Paperback)

Safe House, the latest in Andrew Vachss's series of Burke novels, begins when Burke's "brother," Hercules, is paid to scare off a neo-nazi stalker and accidentally kills the wrong guy. Burke finds himself unwittingly drawn into a world of white supremacists, stalkers, and safe house networks. What ensues is an intense rush to cover Hercules' tracks and, at the same time, bring down a New York City white supremacy ring.

Safe House offers up Vachss's repertoire of repeat characters. The most fascinating are Burke's prison "family," the Prof, Max the silent, the Mole, Michelle, Clarence, Mama, and, of course, Burke himself, who is as hard-edged as ever. The family's willingness to help one another, even die for one another, is the emotional string that ties the books together. There are also two new female characters, Vyra, the affluent Jewish housewife and Crystal Beth, half Inuit, half Irish safe house madam. Though not as believable as their male counterparts, Vyra and Crystal Beth have powerful secrets of their own and add a soft, human element to the story.

Like other Vachss novels, Safe House embraces the dirty, grim life of the ex-con for hire. The most compelling aspect of Safe House is Vachss's no-holds-barred writing style. He spares nobody's feeling and minces no words in this rough, gritty and often painfully raw crime story. --Mara Friedman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:41 -0400)

PI Burke of New York busts a plot by white supremacists to dynamite federal buildings. Burke, an ex-convict who now combats family abuse, stumbles on the plot while investigating the stalking of a woman by her estranged husband.

Andrew Vachss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible