Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan

Hollow World

by Michael J. Sullivan

2342074,037 (3.71)6

2.5 stars (I'm unwilling to put it in the same company as some of my 2-star books, but I'm not sure it's strong enough for 3 stars).

A terminally ill man builds a time machine in his garage, throws caution to the wind, and travels to the future just in time to witness an incredibly rare murder. Murder in general is rare in the future, not just the means of this one. Actually, people seem remarkably unconcerned with this manner of death. Maybe that's de-centralized government for you? It's cute, but the tension lags in parts, and the social commentary is a bit heavy-handed.

The future is not only peaceful; it is also full of glitzy technology which must be described (I was afraid it was going to go Scalzi at a few points). There is a plot here, but you may be a little confused as to where it is partway through, and the mid-book motivations are a bit hazy. Plus Ellis Rogers may be a genius, but people kind of mystify him (including himself).

It amuses me that Ellis Rogers's calculations were off by an order of magnitude. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
Was initially promising but became a thinly veiled political treatise. Very preachy. ( )
  steshaw | Sep 22, 2017 |
I should have written this review sooner, but somehow writing a review for a book you really liked is always a hard task, so you keep putting it off. Can't help feeling you won't make it justice.
So anyway, this book is just great. Nothing literary, written in a down to earth tone and speaking of simple folks (well.. mostly simple folks, if you could call them that.. considering.. you'll see, it IS about the future, after all). Anyway, it might be written without too many intricacies, but it surely deals with some real tough questions, some you keep wondering about weeks after finishing it, only finding that even though you DO have an open mind, you just don't have a clue about what is right and what you would pick.
Anyway, this is a story that involves time travel, but it's not really about time travel. It's more about human nature and what it can become. The author looks deep both into the future and into the heart of man, of where it would go if you give it enough freedom. The author has built a wonderful world, one that really captivated me. And the future society is surely very interesting, not of a type I have encountered so far in books or movies. You just end up loving the characters (especially Pax, man, I loved that guy.. or not guy, well, anyway - you need to read it to get it). You get attached to the main character as well, even though he makes the wrong choices sometimes, obviously. The book does have a really fulfilling feeling when you finish it though. I don't know, it just feels right. And then you choose some fluff for your next book, because you don't want to ruin the aftertaste.
Maybe I am simple for liking non-literary books too, but some just feel really right. This one felt like home to me.
Recommended to all fantasy, utopia-dystopia lovers, time travel fans and whatnot. This won't involve any sci-fi, but it doesn't really need it in my opinion. And anyone who loves a good story with enough thrill will love it.
I feel that it's a shame I only read it now, I would have voted for this one in the GR awards. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
This is the best futuristic time travel novel I have ever read. The world Sullivan imagines is completely believable yet fantastic at the same time. I really appreciate how he incorporates so many weighty themes while keeping the story entertaining and fast-paced. I cannot recommend this book enough. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Apr 15, 2016 |
I loved this book, the authors choice of words and how he described the scenes were superb. ( )
  stevealtier | Apr 9, 2015 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Ellis Rogers is an ordinary man who is about to embark upon an extraordinary journey. All his life he has played it safe and done the right thing, but when diagnosed with a terminal illness, he's willing to take an insane gamble. He's built a time machine in his garage, and if it works, he'll face a world that challenges his understanding of what it means to be human, what it takes to love, and the cost of paradise. He could find more than the cure for his illness; he might find what everyone has been searching for since time began ... but only if he can survive Hollow World"--Back cover.… (more)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible