Boy 30529: A Memoir by Felix Weinberg

Boy 30529: A Memoir

by Felix Weinberg

403285,656 (4)2

5120. Boy 30529 A Memoir, by Felix Weinberg (read 6 Feb 2014) This is one of the most satisfying Holocaust memoirs I've read. The author, born in Czechoslovakia, went into a prison camp in 1942, when he was 14, along with his mother and younger brother. He became separated from his mother and brother and they did not survive. The author tells what he remembers, and it is clear to me that he avoids fiction and tells a truthful story. What a perceptive dismissal of Hitler the author sets out: "it seems just that the evil genius who cast a black shadow over all my childhood, who destroyed my wonderful family, among many millions of others, and who, but for the grace of God, so nearly destroyed me, ultimately perished like a rat in a sewer in the month of my 17th birthday." ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Feb 6, 2014 |
One of the better Holocaust novels available, and this one follows the author all the way through. Recommended reading!! ( )
  TFS93 | Aug 5, 2013 |
What sets this apart from other Holocaust memoirs is how the author, who became a renowned physicist, makes reference to scientific terms and uses science throughout the book; for example, trying to guess what chemicals were in the camp soup. It's quite charming actually.

I also appreciated how the book ended. Some Holocaust memoirs end at liberation, leaving me frustrated as to what happened to the rest of the writer's life. Some go waaaaay too far into post-liberation years and become boring. I thought Weinberg struck just the right balance here.

Well, this is another blow against the stereotype that scientists are bad writers. ( )
  meggyweg | May 1, 2013 |

Boy 30529 tells the story of a child who at the age of twelve lost everything: hope, home, and even his own identity. Born into a respectable Czech family, Felix's early years were idyllic. But when Nazi persecution threatened in 1938, his father traveled to England, hoping to arrange for his family to emigrate there. His efforts came too late, and his wife and children fell into the hands of the Fascist occupiers. Thus begins a harrowing tale of survival, horror and determination. Over the following years, Felix survived five concentration camps, including Terezâin, Auschwitz and Birkenau, as well as, by the skin of his teeth, the Death March from Blechhammer in 1945. Losing both his brother and mother in the camps, Felix was liberated at Buchenwald and eventually reunited at the age of seventeen with his father in Britain, where they built a new life together.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,184,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible