True by Erin McCarthy

Thanks to Goodreads for the free copy.

Holy crap that was so good. So this is what it feels to read an ENJOYABLE BOOK. I think I almost forgot.

A great read. My first new adult book and I am so happy with it. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me anxious and excited all at the same time. This is exactly what you look for in a book.

Rory is amazing even with all her flaws. Awkward and unsure of herself but incredibly loyal. Tyler is an amazing hero. A refreshing take on a bad boy that isn't a douche canoe and knows that a "no" is a "no". Plus, he read! A man after my heart. Not to mention their chemistry is amazing. I think I may be abusing that word by this point. Is it obvious how much I liked it?

While I was 39% in, I made sure to recommend it to all my friends. I seriously considered ditching all my plans just to finish this book.

Can't wait for the next book coming in November. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Finished this morning at 4 a.m.
I don't know what was the reason which forced me to read the book non-stop til the end. I have to admit the plot is a little bit obvious... but the main characters catched my mind completely.
Tyler, hard but so fragile...and also soo hot!

Firm. That’s what I imagined he would look like. For a guy, that was an awesome word, with several positive implications. But for a girl, unless he was talking about your ass, not so much of a compliment

Rory, who knows her incapacity to relate with other people (she's a complete nerd and, during the text, she is related to Vulcan people from Star Trek because she's incapable to think as others usually do XD) but she learns how to see inside herself, how to accept her flaws and grow much stronger and confident with herself and her relations, whatever they were of friendship or love.

I sobbed, for the little girl I had been, who had never understood why I didn’t just fit in, and for the realization that I never would. That my life was meant to be walked alone, with a thin plastic barrier pulled taut between me and everyone else, my thoughts never capable of runnin parallel with the majority of human beings.
***
Because I was standing there, and for the first time, really, I felt like I was of worth, of value, to someone. I was comforting him and that made me feel important.

I also loved the tenderness that Tyler showed so openly for his family. It is refreshing and so hopeful.
I think that obvious sometimes, when you are in the right mood, is not so wrong after all ;).

Being a loner was ultimately selfish, and if you never gave of yourself, you never got in return. The risk of being hurt was higher when you put yourself out there, but it was worth it.

In short, I'm really glad to have read this novel and I have to thank netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity.

---- ITA version

Finito questa mattina alle 4.
Non so veramente cosa mi abbia incollato alle pagine a quel modo, non sono riuscita a staccarmene finchè non sono arrivata all’ultima riga.
Devo ammettere che la trama non è particolarmente originale, ma comunque i protagonisti hanno saputo catturarmi fin da subito e non sono più riuscita e seguire altri che loro. Dovevo assolutamente sapere cosa sarebbe successo di lì a poco…e ogni riga mi ha trascinato sempre più avanti.
Tyler è forte, tatuato e ben provvisto di muscoli. Ma è anche estremamente fragile.
Rory, che sa bene di essere incapace di relazionarsi con le altre persone su un piano paritario (è una nerd fatta e finita, con una mentalità analitica che le impedisce di apprezzare anche la più grossolana sfumatura di un qualsiasi testo letteraio -viene perfino accomunata ad un Vulcaniano di Star Trek per far capire quanto sia incapace di pensare come altri della sua età normalmente fanno-), durante il romanzo la vediamo scrutare dentro di sè, capirsi sempre più e accettarsi…difetti e pregi. Crescere sempre più forte e fiduciosa, di sè e delle relazioni che instaura, che siano di amicizia oppure amore.
E’ stato anche veramente tenero seguire Tyler e scoprire del suo rapporto con i fratelli, la sua unica e Vera famiglia. Sentimenti di una freschezza e speranza infiniti.
Penso quindi che l’ovvio -e non così tanto originale- alle volte, quando si è nel giusto stato d’animo, non sia poi così male tutto sommato.

Sono molto contenta di aver avuto la possibilità di leggere questo romanzo, è stato un dolcissimo intramezzo.

AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |
I was annoyed with Rory for not confronting Tyler about getting paid early in the book; however, unlike most other books I've read, she redeemed herself because she did eventually bring it up as well as standing up for herself in the end even willing to walk away from him if necessary. No woman should always cave to her man, give up her pride, or beg a guy to be with her! ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
That pathetic, hopeless wanting. The desire for what you want but can’t have. The need for someone to like you. I recognized it because I saw it in my own face every day.

And with that, we begin the journey into the world of Rory and Tyler, a road filled with self discovery, insecurity, friendship, and finding a family in the most unconventional of circumstances. This road wasn’t paved lightly, there were stumbles along the way, and many tears were shed. But when you are learning who you are, becoming the person you were meant to be, finding the people who will be by your side through thick and thin, tears are nothing but a drop in the bucket.

We begin with your typical virgin, full of self doubt, but under the surface, once you peel back all the layers, you discover that this story is so much more than that. A pretty package is just that. Appearances can be deceiving, and just because you think someone has it all figured out, quite often they are just as lost as you. Let me tell you, if you think women are the only ones full of insecurities, don’t kid yourself. Men are just as, if not more, culpable.

As we walked into the grocery store, my small cold hand wrapped in his big callused one. I marveled at the strange places and people we could draw comfort from, when we didn’t even know we needed it.

Tyler is a protector. Tyler is a friend. Tyler is a brother. When you come to find out the ‘true’ meaning behind the title of the book as well as his tattoo, your heart will melt. As I read the words, I knew I was lost to these characters and this author. I was hooked from the words, harpooned by the depth of feeling flowing from them like waves.

It was then that I realized it would be very easy to fall in love with Tyler Mann. And that if I didn’t want to get my heart broken into a million pieces, I needed to be very, very careful not to do that.

This is one of those stories that literally grabs you from page one. You are sucked in and never want to leave. These four brothers become your family and you just want to protect them and take all their worries away. I have never read a family that sticks together as this one does. Against all odds, against everything working together to pull them apart and dissuade them, they stay strong. Yes, you will experience rage and heartbreak, but don’t fret, around the corner is love. And throughout it all is hope.

I lay in the dark and listened to the sound of his breath as it slowed and evened out, and I marveled at where I was and who I was with. It didn’t make sense. It wasn’t logical. Yet there was no place I’d rather be.

The most perfect things in life never do make sense. But isn’t that the point? You don’t always have to understand the why’s and how’s for it to work. You just KNOW, deep in your heart, no matter what outside sources say. Fight for what/who you want, your faith unwavering. Prove that in the end, you aren’t going anywhere.

Ironic, wasn’t it, that the physical heart was so hard to reach, yet my emotional heart seemed to have been found with very little effort on Tyler’s part.

Heartbreaking and heartwarming story! 5 star read from me!
  BooksToBreathe | Jul 2, 2014 |

"When Rory Macintosh's roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they'll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job...unbeknownst to Rory. Tyler has told Rory that he's not good enough for her. She's smart, doctor smart, while he's barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can't seem to stay away from her, and even when Rory knows she should push him away, something about him makes it nearly impossible for her to resist--even though her heart is at stake... Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler's broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost.."--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,053,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible