The Crystal Bucephalus by Craig Hinton

I had been puzzling over the title of this Fifth Doctor novel since I first heard of it; what gadget could conceivably be made of crystal and also named for Alexander the Great's horse? As it transpires there is a double explanation: there is a crystal statue of the horse, which turns out to have extra powers, but also the statue is located in a restaurant named after it. Rather oddly the Doctor turns out to be the owner of both statue and restaurant. Lots of similarly wacky (or wackier) nomenclature in the book, not all of which completely gels, though enough does to keep one going; I loved the idea of the Lazarus Intent, a religion combining a garbled Christianity with the monsters of the Whoniverse, and am impressed that Hilton found something useful to do with Kamelion. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 30, 2010 |
Part of Virgin's Missing Adventures line, with the Fifth Doctor, Tegan, Turlough, and Kamelion. I don't usually like Kamelion, but for once he was actually useful. Everyone else seemed like they could use a vacation. The plot, boiled down to its essentials: the TARDIS crew winds up in a restaurant whose premise is that patrons can be sent to any time period they want for a fantastic meal. Things go horribly wrong, the Doctor and his companions are separated, and everything gets complicated. Your typical Doctor Who story, in other words.

I found this book interesting, but occasionally something of a chore. Personally, I think Doctor Who gets a little tedious when they try to go into more technical/science-y detail about time travel, and Craig Hinton went a little nuts in that area. There was also a lot about how the TARDIS functions, which of course varies from author to author. I think a lot of the book was just overly complex. I think the Missing Adventures were mostly intended for adult hardcore fans, but I do have my limits. ( )
  chelonianmobile | Feb 8, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,804,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible