Andrew: Lord of Despair (The Lonely Lords)…

Andrew: Lord of Despair (The Lonely Lords)

by Grace Burrowes

Astrid fell in love with her sister's brother-in-law, Andrew, when she was just seventeen years old. However, Andrew was guilt ridden over a boating accident that left a few of his family members dead. He feels unworthy of Astrid and leaves town. Astrid chose to go forward with her life and eventually married. It was a fairly comfortable marriage and suitable by the standards of the day, although loveless. Since she is safely married Andrew decides that it is safe for him to return home. Wen he arrives home he learns that Astrid has been recently widowed and is possibly carrying her deceased husbands child and heir. The sexual tension is still there for both Astrid and Andrew which makes for a wonderful story full of sexual tension and emotion.
I loved the main characters and the story line fun, interesting and a bit of a mystery. You don't need to read the previous books to enjoy this stand-alone. However, it was almost like going home to read about Gareth (Andrew's brother) and Felicity (Astrid's sister) and to catch up on their lives. I loved the book and look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  bettysunflower | Dec 17, 2013 |
I've loved this series by [[Grace Burrowes]] but this was my least favorite book in the series. The reason why the hero and heroine can't be together is one of the biggest stretches that I've read in a long time and the heroine in danger plot was very far fetched. ( )
  reesa00 | Dec 8, 2013 |
' "Dratted man"... Dear, dratted man'...more Burrowes' entangled delights!

'He should never have left in the first place.'
So true and the story of the Alexander family continues, this time focusing on Gareth's brother Andrew and Felicity's sister, Astrid Worthington, now Astrid Allen, Viscountess Amery. You may remember the interplay between a younger Astrid and Andrew at that time.
Lord Andrew Alexander has returned from abroad having fled his demons--his guilt at the drowning of his brother, father and Gareth's fiancé, and his good intentions with respect to not burdening Astrid with his heaviness. But, as Andrew reflects, 'Haring off to the four corners of the globe hadn't solved what was wrong with [him].
Astrid has been married in his absence, not happily, but comfortably. She is now widowed and pregnant.
Intrigue rears it's ugly head though and it seems that Astrid may be the target of someone who has something to gain by her demise. What's more, it may be that the death of her husband Herbert may not be the accident first thought.
Who benefits most is the question. I had my suspicions.
How can Andrew appease his tormented soul and protect the woman he loves from all this and from himself?
Ah! The wheels of love grind round and about torturously and mysteriously.
Astrid is a delightful person. Forthright and honest, we can't help but take her to our hearts.
I must admit to sparing a puzzled thought for Lord Douglas who seems to be carrying a heavy burden and yet seems unaware of many things, is emotionally contained, even stilted.
So we have pregnancies and possible murders and Saint Andrew thinking he is a vile, unworthy person and self flagellating by deserting any idea of love being a goal he can partake of.
There is an interesting foray into child birth of the times. It was fascinating seeing birthing practices or non practices of the time through Felicity's delivery experience with the assistance of Andrew and Astrid. More advice is given by their brother David Holbrooke.
We have some loose ends being tied up and the result is a finely crafted novel to enjoy.

p.s. I really recommend looking on Grace Burrowes' website at the Lonely Lords Family Tree to see how the families hang together.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Dec 3, 2013 |

After a tragic yachting accident leaves him wracked with guilt, Andrew Alexander becomes certain he doesn't deserve to be around his own family, let alone the beautiful, forthright Astrid Worthington, who has been mysteriously widowed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible