Far From You by Tess Sharpe

Far From You (2014)

by Tess Sharpe

English (23)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
This book was a wild ride. Each page took a new turn and each word pulled me deeper below the surface. I found myself intrigued and addicted. I loved the unconventional romance and I fell in love with the struggles.

I highly recommend it. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |
Just take all the stars, Far From You. I finished this book this morning, and I still can't stop thinking about it! Books with real LBGQT characters are few and far between. Books where that person is a main character, and you can honestly feel their pain through the words? Even fewer and farther between. I just want to hug this book. I want to buy a ton of copies and just pass them out to the masses. I really enjoyed this.

“But my heart isn't simple or straightforward. It's a complicated mess of wants and needs, boys and girls: soft, rough, and everything in between, an ever-shifting precipice from which to fall.”

That quote only highlights how well Sophie's bi-sexuality is handled in Far From You. This is a topic that is often misrepresented, but I can honestly say that I felt like Tess Sharpe handled it like a pro. Not only that, but she managed to weave in dealing with addiction, the power of friendship, what it's like to become reliant on someone, and feeling misunderstood. Every word had a purpose. Every piece of this book had something to say. Yet, it never became too much. It was never heavy handed. I found myself sitting right next to Sophie, and all I wanted to do was reach out and hold her hand.

Now, there is also a mystery here. One that, in my opinion, is perfectly meshed into the story. Contrary to what normally happens when I read mystery/thriller books, I didn't see the ending coming. That made me happy. It also made me really sad, but that was more because Sophie had already been through so much. I just wanted happiness for her. I know that some readers didn't like the mystery aspect. You might not. Still, I can't deny that I thought it made for a great addition to this book. It gave Tess Sharpe a great excuse to keep flashing back to Sophie and Mina's younger days, and it was a beautiful thing.

In case you couldn't already tell, I fell desperately in love with this book. When I start reading at night, and actually pass out trying to keep reading, I know that I've fallen hard. It was Sophie, it was Trev, it was Mina, all keeping me reading well into the night. Such a great cast of characters, in an equally amazing book. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Sophie is an Addict. After a bad car accident when she was 14, to ease the pain of her broken body, she develops an addiction to oxy that she hides from everyone. Until her best friend Mina figures it out and tells Sophie’s parents and she’s sent to an aunt’s to become clean.
Fast forward to the night in the woods where Sophie and Mina go to before a party. The night when Mina is shot and life for Sophie changes forever. No one will believe the “addict’s” insistence that drugs were not the reason they were in the woods that night and Sophie is packed off to rehab for treatment of the drug addiction she no longer has.
When she returns from rehab, it becomes her mission to find out what really happened that night and who is responsible for Mina’s death and nothing will stop her. She’s such a strong character; I couldn’t help but admire her conviction and strength.
This book just made me so sad. So sad for the tragic loss of Mina’s life, the struggles that Sophie went through emotionally and physically. I didn’t expect this book to move me like it did. It’s written with Sophie as the narrator and jumps around a little, bit with clear indications of when the section takes place.
It was a pretty quick read, but it’s packed with emotion, heartbreak, action and intrigue. Who killed Mina? And why? ( )
  maggie1961 | Jan 2, 2019 |
didn't quite have the depth I was looking for, and the mystery felt pretty lackluster to me. ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |

I highly recommend it. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 2, 2018 |

"After Sophie Winters survives a brutal attack in which her best friend, Mina, is murdered, she sets out to find the killer. At the same time she must prove she is free of her past Oxy addiction and in no way to blame for Mina's death"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,771,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible