Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

Better Off Friends

by Elizabeth Eulberg

Macallen’s mom has recently died. Then, Levi moves to her town in Wisconsin, from California. At first they don’t really talk. But then, she notices that he watches her favorite show, Buggy and Floyd. They go through ups and downs like, Levi dating Emily, Macallen’s best friend, Macallen going off to Ireland when Levi professes his love for her, and their friendship ending for a while. But, in the end Macallen can’t fight her feelings for him any longer, and neither can Levi. So, the night of their high school’s winter dance, Levi goes to Macallen. And they both admit their love for each other.

I really loved this book because it was the classic cliche, “boys and girls can’t just be best friends”. And, they couldn’t be just friends. I thought that the story line, and change of perspective, really made the story truly unique. I also thought that the real-life situations that were presented were heavily impactful. I got really attached to the characters and just wanted everything to work out for them. Overall, it was an amazing book that I’d definitely recommend to my friends and read again. ( )
  MadalynM.B4 | Jan 16, 2019 |
This book is the friends-to-lovers trope brought to life.
Macallan and Levi meet in seventh grade and are with each other trough awkward firsts, fights, and developing feelings, and we follow them trough it all. The story is cute, well-structured and humorous. The intro/outro to each chapter really gives insight to Macallan and Levi's personalities and relationship dynamics.
This book is such a cute, harmless read and you can't help but root for Macallan and Levi and cheer when they get together. Recommoend for fans of fluffy contemporary and best-friends-to-lovers stories. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Very cute, easy read. ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
I'm pleasantly surprised that this was more than just a cute story. While not without its flaws, Elizabeth Eulberg's Better off Friends was more than just a fluffy story of how two best friends struggle to understand their changing relationship as they grow older.

Levi and Macallan met in the seventh grade when Levi transferred to her school in Wisconsin from California. The bonded on the first day over Buggy and Floyd - a British television show that no one else in their circle knew or understood - and they became practically inseparable after. Their families became friends and they grew to become each other's best friends.

The story is told from both of their viewpoints with bits of reflective chats interjected between chapters. The focus is mainly on Levi, Macallan and their families so I found the secondary characters - especially Macallan's friends Emily and Danielle - to be a little unforgettable. There were times where I felt the characters sounded older than they were, however the story is being told by an older Levi and Macallan as they reflect on their friendship.

There is a lot of witty banter, a lot of tear inducing scenes and a lot of laugh out loud situations. It's an extremely easy and quick read but it has a lot of depth as well. I'm glad I picked it up. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
¿Será que sus editores odian a Elizabeth Eulberg? Porque no encuentro otro motivo por el que nadie le dijo que esos flashforwards -¿o es acaso que el resto de la historia está escrita en flashbacks?, como sea- eran una mala idea, una MUY mala idea. Resultan confusos, molestos y, como te muestran desde un inicio como termina todo, hacen que pierdas el interés en seguir leyendo. Por lo que, aunque es una historia ligera y rápida, tuve que esforzarme para terminar este libro. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Guys and girls can be friends. Way to get right to the point, Levi. All I'm saying is that it's possible for guys and girls to be friends.

Macallan and Levi are best friends from the first day they meet in seventh grade, but over the years their close friendship keeps interfering with their dating life because everyone else regards them as a couple.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,911,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible