Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

Better Off Friends (edition 2014)

by Elizabeth Eulberg

1951160,388 (3.81)2
Member:thekaisu
Title:Better Off Friends
Authors:Elizabeth Eulberg
Info:Point (2014), Hardcover, 288 pages

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

I'm pleasantly surprised that this was more than just a cute story. While not without its flaws, Elizabeth Eulberg's Better off Friends was more than just a fluffy story of how two best friends struggle to understand their changing relationship as they grow older.

Levi and Macallan met in the seventh grade when Levi transferred to her school in Wisconsin from California. The bonded on the first day over Buggy and Floyd - a British television show that no one else in their circle knew or understood - and they became practically inseparable after. Their families became friends and they grew to become each other's best friends.

The story is told from both of their viewpoints with bits of reflective chats interjected between chapters. The focus is mainly on Levi, Macallan and their families so I found the secondary characters - especially Macallan's friends Emily and Danielle - to be a little unforgettable. There were times where I felt the characters sounded older than they were, however the story is being told by an older Levi and Macallan as they reflect on their friendship.

There is a lot of witty banter, a lot of tear inducing scenes and a lot of laugh out loud situations. It's an extremely easy and quick read but it has a lot of depth as well. I'm glad I picked it up. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
¿Será que sus editores odian a Elizabeth Eulberg? Porque no encuentro otro motivo por el que nadie le dijo que esos flashforwards -¿o es acaso que el resto de la historia está escrita en flashbacks?, como sea- eran una mala idea, una MUY mala idea. Resultan confusos, molestos y, como te muestran desde un inicio como termina todo, hacen que pierdas el interés en seguir leyendo. Por lo que, aunque es una historia ligera y rápida, tuve que esforzarme para terminar este libro. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
This was an extremely boring read. I may be generous in giving it two stars as it did not even raise enough emotion in me to react negatively to anything about it.

The reason why I like to read YA books is that this is a time of big decisions and change and the good writers know how to make this a story.

Better off friends was listless and pointless. In another world, one where I wasn't doing a reading goal, this would have been a DNF and I wouldn't have felt like I missed a thing...because obviously I didn't. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
This is a light, prredictable read without any major issues, but it is entertaining! I loved both Micallan and Levi, who are just down-to-earth, nice teenagers. Their friendship and close bond develop gradually over time and, although they both make mistakes, they are always there for each other when it counts. The book is told from alternating points of view, which I always like, however, the parts I liked best were the little back-and-forths between Macallan and Levi at the end of each chapter. A sweet, feel-good story about friendship, love and growing-up. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Told from the perspectives of Levi and Macallan, recounting the history of their best friendship, which seemed like it might never evolve into something more. Satisfying and poignant.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jan 14, 2015 |
Guys and girls can be friends. Way to get right to the point, Levi. All I'm saying is that it's possible for guys and girls to be friends.

Macallan and Levi are best friends from the first day they meet in seventh grade, but over the years their close friendship keeps interfering with their dating life because everyone else regards them as a couple.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible