Pointe by Brandy Colbert

Wow. This book dealt gracefully with some pretty heavy stuff, like eating disorders and sexual assault/long-term sexual abuse. Theo was a realistic and lovely character. At first I couldn't fathom how she could consider choosing her possible career over putting the criminal who kidnapped and assaulted her friend behind bars, but as the novel progressed I began to understand. It was heartbreaking to watch her struggle, and I wanted to be there for her. She was so strong emotionally throughout everything that was thrown at her, and the ending scene was absolutely perfect. Also, the main cast were all people of color (Theo and Donovan were black, Phil and Hosea were Hispanic), which is always awesome to have. Overall, this was an amazing story sure to please all readers who love contemporary fiction, and Theo is bright, new voice in the YA world for survivors of childhood sexual assault who are so often silenced.

Read more reviews at adventureswithinthepages.tumblr.com ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Backlighting is the new whitewash. If the main character is literally a black void on the cover, it must be about a black character, but the publishers are hoping some white people won't notice. Sigh.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I didn't finish this book, too much emphasis on parties, drugs and alcohol, and not enough on dancing. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
While mentions of kidnapping and possibly disordered eating prepared me for this to be a fairly dark book...This was even darker and scarier than I think I was prepared for. Ballet is a driving ambition for Theo, and I was looking to read about the stresses and pushing herself to be a better dancer.
This is really not a ballet book. It's about Theo out of class, being a high school student, having a disordered relationship with food (and getting plausibly into the mindsets and body perspective that lays the groundwork for that disorder)

And whoa... there was a whole other plot thread, alluded to in the about the book... yes, a kidnapping, but some really REALLY dark relationship issues that Theo remembers in flashbacks... that I'm not putting behind a spoiler tag, because I feel it should be known about. Stuff that happened when Theo was a younger teen, that broke my heart for her, and was raw, and hard to read about.
I did not enjoy reading this, because some aspects were so scary and brutal and I felt my heart break for the characters. So... full disclosure, this is dark, and may stir up some things about bodies and relationships and coming of age, to grapple with. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
Cannot recommend this book highly enough. Engaging, suspenseful, emotional and well-paced. I hope to see more from Colbert in the future. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

Four years after Theo's best friend, Donovan, disappeared at age thirteen, he is found and brought home and Theo puts her health at risk as she decides whether to tell the truth about the abductor, knowing her revelation could end her life-long dream of becoming a professional ballet dancer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,559,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible