Billion Dollar Cowboy by Carolyn Brown

You know you will get some sweet romancing when it comes to a Carolyn Brown book, and add sexy cowboys to that too.

In this new series we meet billionaire Colton who is running from the crazy women that want his money. Colton is nice, hardworking, loves his farm, and yes he is also sexy and has lots of money.

Then there is Laura, who has issues from her past and a sister in trouble. Laura is the nerdy girl with glasses. The girl with commitments problems. The sweet girl who loves gardening and has no problems with farm life. So they are perfect for each other, but they just had to get past a few speed bumps first.

The whole premise is nice. She is his fake girlfriend and of course that means they get close. It's a fake romance that blossoms. All while we have a nice atmosphere and get to meet everyone on the farm. It's a close family, a nice family. I enjoyed meeting them all, and seeing Colton and Laura falling in love.

Conclusion:
Cowboys! Romance! You know it :) ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
This was a really fun book. Colton is a cowboy who is now a billionaire and being constantly pursued by women who are more interested in his money than him. Laura is on the ranch to work off a debt to her cousin, who is Colton's best friend and financial adviser. Colton's family and friends come up with an idea that will give Colton a break and Laura the chance to pay off her debt faster. They want Colton and Laura to pretend to be involved. Colton's desperate and Laura just wants her debt gone, so they go along with it, not expecting their fake relationship to start to feel very real.

I loved both Colton and Laura. Colton was just an ordinary cowboy until he won the lottery. Now he has a ton of money and no peace from being pursued. When someone drugs him, his family decides to step in and help. First they set up Colton and Laura to make it look like there's something going on, then they let them in on the plan. Colton and Laura aren't too thrilled with the idea at first, but they're willing to give it a shot. It isn't too long before the fake relationship starts to feel real, but both of them have some things holding them back.

Colton was raised by his grandmother after his parents died in a crash. His parents were passionate people and fought a lot. The last thing he remembers of them is their fighting, and then they were gone. He associates fighting with separation, and two people together will fight, therefore commitment will bring separation. And that's just too much pain. He also has trouble talking about his feelings. But Laura understands him and being around her doesn't make him feel the same way he does around others.

Laura and her sister were raised by their aunt after their mother died. Laura never knew her father. She sees that any relationship is headed for disaster because sooner or later someone is going to leave. Why start something that will only end in heartbreak. She feels like she was important enough for her mother to fight for her health and not die, so why would anyone else care for her like that. She feels like Colton really cares for her, but she has a hard time trusting that it's enough.

I loved seeing Colton and Laura getting to know each other. Colton is sweet and kind and hasn't let the money go to his head. He still works hard on the ranch. At first he wonders if Laura is scamming him the way that others have tried to do, but soon learns that she is just as real as he is. It was fun to see his playfulness when he showed her the pool and the gym. He was surprised to see how well she fit into life on the ranch and that added to the feelings that were growing for her. There's also some really hot chemistry going on between them that he has no trouble accepting, it's just that pesky "L" word that is creating problems.

Laura started off just wanting to pay her debt and leave. She's not really comfortable among people she doesn't know and Colton's money freaks her out a bit. She's not happy about her cousin's machinations to get her to help Colton, but she'll do it to have a chance to see her sister. She discovers that he's much more down to earth than she expected, and begins to like him for who he is. I liked the fact that his money means absolutely nothing to her, that it is more of a negative than a positive for her. She's really nervous about a couple of the events she has to attend with him, but has a better time than she expected. She still doesn't feel like she fits in his world. Her feelings grow for him, but she isn't ready to make their relationship real without knowing that he feels the same. I loved the fact that they could actually talk things out when they had an issue.

I loved the secondary characters and the richness they added to the story. Grandma Maudie was a trip of an old lady. She has a heart of gold, raised Colton and is now raising her niece Roxie. She doesn't put up with any crap from either one of them. Roxie was another one that I loved. She's a teenager who also had a less than stellar mother. Laura sees a lot of herself and Janet in Roxie, and relates to her very well. I loved seeing the changes in Roxie that came from being around Laura. I also loved the way that Laura was there for Roxie, especially with the girl's problems with a classmate. Laura's sister Janet was a character that had to grow on me. Her attitude at the beginning made me realize why Andy Joe had set the conditions he had. I really wanted to smack her for the things she said about Laura's relationship with Colton. I was happy to see the changes she started to go through, and for Laura's sake hope she sticks with it. It was fun to see various other residents of the town and their effects on the relationship between Colton and Laura. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Nov 28, 2014 |
Really 2.5 Stars

I got this from NetGalley for an honest review. I didn’t get paid for it and I don’t have any sort of relationship with the author.

Carloyn Brown writes a lot of cowboys and this one is a billionaire...I really wanted to love it. Unfortunately, I really struggled with it and I found my attention wandering off a lot of the time. It just wasn’t for me.

Colton won the lottery and is now trying to fight off every gold digger in town. At the beginning of the book we see him being roofied by one of the towns more aggressive women and I felt so fricking sorry for him. He just wanted to be left alone and work on his ranch; I wasn’t even sure he wanted the money by the end. He is convinced to take on a fake girlfriend by his friends and that fake girlfriend is Laura.

Laura is a woman who has always “enabled” her gambling addict sister. When her sister runs up thousands of dollars worth of debt to a loan shark, Laura has to call in the big guns in the family to pay it off. One of the conditions to the loan is that Laura moves onto Colton’s ranch and doesn’t have any contact with her sister. She complies and, whilst there, she is convinced to play the part of Colton’s girlfriend as part of the deal. Of course, it doesn’t stay fake for long.

I liked the love story. They were both people who didn’t trust easily and it was nice to see them open up to each other slowly and learn how to trust another. The chemistry was definitely present but there weren’t many scenes that showed a connection that was more than friendship. The relationship building didn’t really leave me with the warm and fuzzies and I can’t put my fingers on why.

The rest of the characters are the main reason that I couldn’t like this story. I didn’t like the way they manipulated Colton and Laura towards a relationship together and it made me feel a little icky. The biggest problem that I had was with the character of the sister. She seemed to have more faces that a dice and I just couldn’t get a decent enough grasp on her character to be anything more than confused about her. If they hadn’t have had such a massive impact on the story I think I would have liked the novel more.

Overall, I liked the core of this story but really not the plot threads that wove into it. If you like Carolyn Browns’ previous work then give it a try as there are some very positive reviews from other reputable bloggers.
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
Beautifully written love story. Laura is always bailing her sister out – this time she is working at a ranch to pay off her gambling debt. Little did she know she would be the one gambling on love. Colton is a strong man who value integrity, truth and family. He just happens to be a billionaire. His billionaire status does not make finding a lady friend easy. So his family and friends take matters into their on hands.

This book has some beautiful one liners and interesting dialogue between Laura and Colton. Brown does an excellent job of making all the characters in this book come to life. You will fall in love with Aunt Maudie, relate to Roxie, and become exceedingly frustrated with Andy Joe’s manipulative streak – even though he is trying to do what is right. Then there is independent and strong Laura who is a self proclaimed computer geek, but who also doesn’t mind getting dirty on the ranch. Colton the type of man you wish you could trade your husband for – smart, hardworking, sensitive and sexy. At times, the book is a little wordy and I actually did some skip, skip, skipping to get back to Laura and Colton. This book does pack a punch in the language department and some of the love scenes. However, overall it is a delightful “Cinderella-ish” story with loveable characters. Can’t wait for book 2!!

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: Hot

REVIEWED BY: A. Lyn

REVIEW COURTESY OF: My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jun 19, 2013 |

Colton Nelson was twenty-eight years old when he won the Texas lottery and went from ranch hand to ranch owner overnight. Now he's desperate to keep the gold diggers away.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible