The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose…

The Pirate's Wish (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Member:kmartin802
Title:The Pirate's Wish
Authors:Cassandra Rose Clarke
Info:Strange Chemistry (2013), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Kindle, Read but unowned
Tags:Kindle, Review, Fantasy, NetGalley, YA, ARC

The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke (2013)

English (17)  German (1)  All (18)
Could this duology have been more fun? Manticores, talking sharks, treasure hunts, and sea skirmishes abound as our pirate and assassin set out to complete three impossible tasks in order to break the curse. Ananna and Naji's atypical romance continues to gradually build in a way that was satisfying without being idealistically farfetched. The characters are fuller as Ananna bonds further with Marjani and her friendship with the manticore (plus images of Ananna riding her into battle) is probably my favorite thing ever. The Pirate's Wish was rich and thrilling and I think Clarke did a wonderful job of crafting an ending that felt right for her characters. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Apparently I never wrote a review for this one or it didn't get transferred one of the times I moved.... It's fun and concludes the duology well! :D ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
By the end of the first book, Naji discovers the way to ending the curse is performing three impossible tasks (touch the startones, true love kiss, create life out of violence), and Ananna discovers she have feeling for Naji and that one of the tasks might not be impossible after all.
This book starts great, we get to meet THE FABULOUS ongraygeeomryn *that's a name BTW*,i loved the interaction and the friendship between ananna and ongraygeeomryn *copy and paste*. The story was quite fun and all until I reached about 80% of the book. Then I have to say I felt that the author rushed the plot. It was really disappointing. I kinda expected more. However I do like the shark idea. *I'm trying to be ambiguous, I hope it is working*. Moreover I missed the desert, Arabic theme that was in the first novel.
Anyway,I was satisfied with how the romance worked out between Ananna and Naji. It was not rushed at all, and the ending just felt right.
i love this book but not as much as i love the first one, but still overall this series rocks,i enjoyed it a lot.
i adore the world which the author built, i heard that she is writing another series in the same universe.so I'm quite excited about it, i hope it's dealing with the order or the empire.i would like to know more about them.
  hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
In my review of the first novel in the series, The Assassin's Curse, I discuss my love for Ananna and Cassandra Rose Clarke's unique world of pirates and magic. In The Pirate's Wish Ananna and Naji's journey to break the curse continues. Magical creatures are befriended... and the ending, well, is an ending that I think other books could learn a thing or two from.

The Assassin's Curse left us with Ananna and Naji stranded on a mysterious island. For the better part of the book they are struggling with each other while trying to figure out how they can possibly get off the island. I wouldn't have been surprised if the cast of Lost came out of the fog and said "We need to get off the island!" I had mixed emotions about that island. Will Marjani keep her promise to Ananna? Will the mist capture her?

Only one was completely answered. Yes, Marjani did rescue them. You didn't think she would forget about them, did you?! I loved Marjani, she was a nice side character (she has her own short story). She wasn't an annoying aunt-type even though she could have been. I thought she was a genuinely nice woman that progressed the overall story. She helped keep things together on the boat. She was the captain, after all.

But, before they were rescued Ananna meets a manticore...

After saving a manticore from certain death and making a deal, Ananna is indebted to her. Apparently making a deal with a manticore is NOT something to take lightly. The addition of the manticore is something that made the book more enjoyable for me. She was humorous and ferocious. I think the story needed her; Ananna needed a friend to lean on when Marjani wasn't there to help guide her... Even if she was a deadly predator.

The *ahem* sea adventures caught me a little off guard. It was a little surreal to have all of these magical creatures appear in the middle of the ocean. But, it did make me appreciate Ananna's love for the ocean a bit more.

Something I could have used in The Pirate's Wish was more death and violence. Nothing happened with the mist... It just sort of ended after they left the island. I was disappointed with that change in story from the first book. I could have sworn the mist was going to have more of a part to play...

Ananna's relationship with Naji kept growing the entire book. The build up to breaking the curse was heart-wrenching. I knew what was sure to come at certain moments, they almost had me crying. Their penchant for survival, love for the ocean, and debt to Ongraygeeomryn (my favorite manticore), made for an exciting and harrowing love story; even if it wasn't always with each other (but their love for living their own lives). I loved the ending. ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

“Naji didn’t think his curse could be broken, cause he had to complete three impossible tasks in order to do so: hold the princess’s starstones skin against stone, create life out of violence, and experience true love’s kiss. Thing was, I knew at least one of the three, the last one, wan’t impossible at all. Cause I loved him.” (16)

The Pirate’s Wish is as beautiful, mesmerizing and even more enchanting than the first book, The Assassin’s Curse. I absolutely love the world that Cassandra Rose Clarke takes us through, and this book shows us even more in Annana and Naji’s bewitching adventure to relieve their curse. With an ongoing silent battle with the Mists still in play, and other obstacles to cross, will the pirate and assassin find what they’re looking for? Have they had it all along?

“When it comes to dealing with people who think of themselves as important, it’s usually best to keep your mouth shut.” (153)

Annana and Naji get on each other’s nerves; Annana and Naji are enraptured with one another. I love the concept of how the more they fight to separate themselves from one another, the closer they become. The Three Impossible Tasks may seem unfathomable to them, but fate has a way of presenting itself, even when they least expect it. This may or may not be a good thing, however, as, although they realize their love for one another, Annana and Naji still have separate paths they must take. The ending felt like both a release, and an open question as to the fate of our beloved characters.

“Completing the task wasn’t what broke the curse, it was learning that the impossible wan’t really impossible at all.” (292)

The author’s expert ways of bringing her characters alive through dialogue and action is wonderful! I could read her works again and again for this alone, as it’s unique and entertaining. Annana’s strong characteristics are quite a triumph when looking for a strong female character with real life goals (as opposed to other books who solely focus on love, as if that’s the only thing in the world that matters.) Naji, too, has his own priorities and a job that he must come to terms with, which puts him in a strong light as well. As threatening as the Manticore was supposed to be, I couldn’t help but love her as I envisioned her stature and commanding voice of regality. When I can truly hear a characters voice, and picture them as clear as day in my mind, I believe the author has done an amazing job with description and characterization.

This mesmerizing world that the author has created is open to be filled with more stories, like a chronicle. I absolutely recommend this to anyone looking for an adventure. I cannot wait to meet more characters, and visit the lives of others we’ve met in this series. Here’s hoping we come across Annana and Naji again!

-------------------
First Line: “‘Do you feel that?’ Naji asked.” (7)
Last Line: “And he was right.” (327)
-------------------

Quotes:

“I wasn’t gonna scream. I wasn’t gonna cry.
And then I heard a voice like roses and darkness, and I smelled mint and medicine, and strong sure hands wrapped round my chest, and I was tumbling, tumbling, tumbling into the warm soft sea, but I was safe. That I knew.
I was safe. I was protected.” (140)

“‘Blood magic can do whatever I will it to do.’” (143)

“I wanted to tell him he didn’t need to do that, that he was handsome even with the scars, that the scars made him more beautiful than any untrustworthy pretty boy lurking in some Empire Palace.” (148-9)
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
"Do you feel that?" Naji asked.

After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach. Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible