Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Dangerous Girls (edition 2013)

by Abigail Haas

Member:BookConfessions
Title:Dangerous Girls
Authors:Abigail Haas
Info:Simon Pulse (2013), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Abigail Haas, Contemporary, Mystery, Mystery Thriller, realistic fiction, Simon and Schuster, Simon Pulse, Thriller, YA Contemporary, YA Fiction, YA Thriller, Young Adult

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

OH MY GOD. YES. ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
“Wouldn't we all look guilty, if someone searched hard enough?”
This was such a fantastic mystery/thriller to read in the summer. It’s a perfect blend of suspense, tension, and beachy-ness. Dangerous Girls follows a group of friends as the let loose on Spring Break in Aruba. Tragedy strikes when one of the girls, Elise, is found brutally murdered, and her best friend Anna is charged with her murder. Dangerous Girls is filled with twists and turns and high octane drama. It’s a read that will draw you in and keep the pages turning.

Things I Liked
I loved the slight mixed media style included in the writing. We get transcripts from 911 calls and police interviews, talk show reports, newspaper articles, it really made the story feel big and eventful.

I really loved the non-linear writing style as well. It’s a little disorienting and get confusing relating the timelines to each other, but it really adds an atmosphere of tension. The writing is very clear and sharp, and crafts a complete story that will keep you guessing.

Things I Didn’t Like
I didn’t really like Elise at all. I thought she was a really crappy friend, so I didn’t care that much that she died - which is the mystery of the entire story. I guess I cared about finding out who killed her, but not because the main character lost her best friend - I wasn't invested in their relationship.

I felt like all of the side characters were underdeveloped. We really only get to know Anna, and Elise through her. We get to know Tate, Anna’s boyfriend minimally, but there were 5 other people at the house. We didn’t need that many characters if they were only going to get 1 or 2 scenes in the entire book.

The entire trial was a farce. It was riddled with shoddy police work, lies, and misinformed media that made it kind of a drag to read. It got a little ridiculous, because it was handled so poorly.

Dangerous Girls is the perfect mystery/thriller to dip your toes into this summer. If you're new to the genre, or just want a contemporary that’s a little more edgy - this is the read for you.
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
Read this review and more on my blog October Tune.

I have always loved mystery books, so when I heard about Dangerous Girls, I knew I had to read it as soon as I could. When I finally started it a couple of days ago, I found myself being sucked into the story.

During the first part of the book, I was mainly confused - I didn't really get what was going on because it was all happing right through each other. One chapter, they'd be in court and then they were back in school with Elise still alive and then all of a sudden Anna was in jail. While reading the book, I started to get used to these chapters more and more, and I even started liking it - even though I am not fond of flashbacks. It worked for this book.

Like with every other mystery book I read, I suspected everyone; at first I was convinced it was Tate, but then a chapter would happen and I would lean more to Mel or even AK. I even remember writing down, in my notes, that I thought Elise could have staged everything at one point. But hey, that's what a mystery book is for, you start your own little investigation, put on that deerstalker and walk around with your magnifying glass looking for clue.

I liked the fact that the story happened on Aruba, because that island is part of the Netherlands and there was a lot of talk about Dutch stuff and yeah as a Dutchie it just makes me happy that my country is mentioned in a book or movie or TV show.

Reading about all those grown-ups (*cough KLAUS DEKKER *cough*) being complete dicks (pardon my words) to Anna, and especially that show of Clara Rose (two of my favourite Doctor Who companions, by the way!), that made me really angry because that is what happens in real life; when someone gets taken in for question, the world already has their opinion ready on this person and they will always remain guilty in the eyes of these people until they are proven to be not. And the way her friends (especially AK) just dropped her immediately after she got arrested, so much for friendship guys. DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK!! In the end, they all turned out to be right, of course, but still I got so angry, because it would have been even more awful if Anna had been innocent.

The way this book was written just made it really easy to read, I think I read more than half of it in one day. There was the normal story of course, the flashbacks of Elisa and Anna's (whose names reminded me of Elsa and Anna from Frozen too much, I was kind of expecting them to start singing Let it Go together) friendship and some important scenes that were relevant to the trial. There were transcripts from the 911 call, Clara Rose's shows, police interrogations; I really loved the way those were written in this book.

I personally loved the ending, it made me gasp and put down the book for a while. It also made me unable to concentrate on the other book (Heir of Fire, I am so sorry I abandoned you baby) I am currently reading and I think I need to go to sleep as soon as I finish writing this review (I wrote it yesterday evening, right after I finished the book). And it also made me want to buy her other book, Dangerous Boys, which I think and hope will be just as thrilling as this one.

If you are looking for the Young Adult version of Gone Girl (imo: this book is WAY better and much more exciting than GG), Dangerous Girls is THE book for you! I do suggest you go for the edition of the cover I have, (ISBN: 9781471119149), because it's the prettiest cover that this book has (honestly, if the book hadn't had this cover, I would have been much more reluctant to pick it up). So everyone go and get your copy of Dangerous Girls, and read it!

My opinion on this book in one gif:

(gif credit) ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Oh, man. This book was intense. In a lot of ways, this book is like Gone Girl - focusing on a murder prosecution for a presumed innocent (by the reader) suspect. I flew through it. Yes, the ending was a bit predictable, but how it was written makes it just as suspenseful as if it wasn't. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
This was a lot like [b:The Basic Eight|10997|The Basic Eight|Daniel Handler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1429456532s/10997.jpg|518224], but with less humor and more of the whole "sexually obsessed with your best friend" theme. And I loved every second of it. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." --Oscar Wilde
To my wonderful agent, Rebecca Friedman, who helped make this book wilder, darker, and more badass than I ever imagined.
Aruba Emergency Services 911 Transcript--8:45pm

"While on spring break in Aruba, a young girl is accused of her best friend's death and must stand trial for murder in a foreign country"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,809,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible