Beautiful Sorrows by Mercedes M. Yardley

Beautiful Sorrows

by Mercedes M. Yardley

Other authors: P. Gardner Goldsmith (Foreword), K. Allen Wood (Editor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was just not for me. There's nothing wrong with the stories: they are beautifully written with a kind of ethereal quality that lures you into some fantastic fairytale domain. But I just couldn't get into it and always waited for some 'wow' effect that never came - at least for me. Also, the stories seemed repetitive and started to blur into another, which felt like reading the same story over and over again, only with slight variations. What may be fine with other readers only intensified my discomfort.

While I myself did not like the book much, I understand that there are many readers out there who will love this collection. So if you think this may be your kind of book don't let my personal disappointment with it discourage you from finding out for yourself - each to his own.

(Thanks to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for a copy of the book, all opinions are my own) ( )
  misspider | Jun 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Each story in this compilation packs a punch. The stories are lovely, poignant, upsetting, and a whole range of emotions conveyed in so few words. What a beautiful collection.

Summary: Highly recommended for readers who enjoy a little disquieting horror in their beautiful fantasy worlds, where things do not always go as planned.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in via the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program in exchange for a fair review. ( )
  SukiSu | Jun 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Each and every story was exactly as the title stated-beautiful and sorrowful. I found myself feeling melancholy but wanting more of this beautiful book. What amazed me the most was the extremely short stories that consisted of a sentence or more. These seemed to make me feel even more because all I got was a single sentence. My favorite of these was broken - "“The dried twigs cracking under her feet broke exactly like the small bones of children. She wished she didn’t know that." I thought about those two sentences for days! The author is truly a master of making people feel things and somehow feel connected to the story. This is a book that everyone should read and/or add to their short story collection. ( )
  sophiemanic | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was very beautiful. The writing was wonderful.

27 sad, happy, magical stories. There is so much substance in every story. It’s impossible to read them all at one sitting. I had to stop and ponder every once in a while.

My personal favorite of these stories was Untied. ( )
  Helsky | May 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an Early Reviewers copy of Beautiful Sorrows from LibraryThing. It is a beautifully written collection of some very dark and disturbing stories. I had to wait a bit between some of them to try to process what happened. I’m still confused about the Marys, horrified by Andros, and heartbroken over Samson’s star. The story that touched me the most was “She called him Sky.” If you like dark and disturbing, I highly recommend Beautiful Sorrows. ( )
  mtlkch | May 19, 2017 |

Mercedes M. Yardleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goldsmith, P. GardnerForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, K. AllenEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098827230X, Paperback)

There is a place where sorrows pile up like snow and rest in your hair like cherry blossoms. Boys have wings, monsters fall in love, women fade into nothingness, and the bones of small children snap like twigs. Darkness will surely devour you--but it will be exquisitely lovely while doing so.

Mercedes M. Yardley’s Beautiful Sorrows is an ephemeral collection encompassing twenty-seven short tales full of devastation, death, longing, and the shining ribbon of hope that binds them all together.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:59 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mercedes M. Yardley's book Beautiful Sorrows is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible