Resist by Sarah Crossan

Resist

by Sarah Crossan

Series: Breathe (2)

Resist by Sarah Crossan is the sequel to Breathe. I disliked Breathe but since I had the second book on my shelf and I was looking for a YA read, I picked this one up. These books are set in a dystopian future where air quality has broken down and only the privileged few have all the oxygen they want. People live in a glass dome and the air quality is tightly controlled, those who obey get air. The first book ended with 3 teens leaving the glass dome and finding a resistance group that is searching for alternative ways to avoid oxygen depletion, unfortunately soldiers from the domed city arrived and many were killed.

Now the survivors are trying to reach Sequoia, a rumoured sanctuary, but is this place the refuge that they were led to believe? I appreciated that these books were based on environment issues, but the story itself was weak and at times just didn’t make any sense. There was a decided lack of character development and a little too much teen angst for my comfort. Some characters were dropped or forgotten about and the deficiency in world-building prevented me from finding any sort of believability.

To be given or denied oxygen based on your social standing is an excellent premise, but this book simply didn’t work for me. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 11, 2017 |
The story was fine. But I just couldn't get into it at all.

Note to future me: no matter how good the next book (if there is one) sounds, you are not allowed to pick it up! It is forbidden!!

imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Alina, Quinn, and Bea, now outlaws and outcasts, make their way to the last enclave of the Resistance but once there, they discover they can count on no one but each other and may, in fact, have to betray those they considered allies.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dystopian set in a world where air is currency.

Opening Sentence: We didn’t think sailing would be easy, but we hoped for better luck than freezing rain and winds.

The Review:

Let me state my disclaimer now, I have not read the first book, so a lot of things were very confusing for me. That being said, I highly suggest reading Breathe before reading Resist. I didn’t dislike it despite not having read the first book, so I feel that if you like Breathe you will most likely enjoy Resist as the conclusion book. This book is told from the viewpoints of Quinn (privileged premium turned resistance fighter), Alina (resistance fighter), Bea (Zone 3 resident turned resistance fighter) and Ronan (special forces). The beginning of the book picks up I think immediately after Breathe ends. Quinn and Bea are on the run together as is Alina, but she isn’t with them. Ronan is tasked with hunting Quinn.

Not too far into the book, Jazz, who is a child traveling with Quinn and Bea gets injured and he leaves them behind to find help at Sequoia. Alina and her traveling companions show up separately at Sequoia. Sequoia is another free place like the Grove. In Breathe the Grove is destroyed and the survivors are looking for sanctuary at Sequoia. Or at least that is my best guess, it took a while for me to understand the world so I will explain as best as I can. They live in a world where in some places there is a biosphere that contains air, outside of this you are either in a pod, or a facility that has oxygen boxes. If you are caught outside any of these things you have to have an oxygen tank or you begin to die.

Resist is the aftermath of a failed revolution, and the beginning of a new one. Bea ends up being found by Ronan after she is separated from Quinn. She then works on his guilt over The Grove and turns him to the cause. After that it all begins to get a little confusing for me. I am not sure if it is because I haven’t read Breathe or if it is just kind of confusing in nature. So by all means, comment if you have read both books and let me know which one. Apparently Sequoia isn’t the sanctuary they all think it is so, they end up turning on the resistance and working with the ministry to save all the people. The end of the book is full of action as the battle rages between Sequoia and the ministry.

I found it hard to follow who was turning on whom and for what reason. I guess it made sense, but I didn’t quite catch it, it just seemed a tad unbelievable and I haven’t even read book 1. A lot of potential and promise, just not sure it quite delivered for me. I think I will attempt to read Breathe and hope that it pulls it all together for me.

Notable Scenes:

“I don’t know anyone who’d dare cross my father-I certainly wouldn’t.”

“You know by now that Quinn was the one who almost brought the pod to its knees?”

“Maybe alcohol will be enough to kill her pain.”

“There’s something rotten behind that smile, Alina.”

“Before being led into the orangery where the pairings will be performed, we’re held in a waiting room with narrow benches running the length of it.”

FTC Advisory: Greenwillow/HarperCollins provided me with a copy of Resist. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 23, 2015 |
Thanks to Edelweiss and Green Willow Books for allowing me access to this title.

3.5 stars.
I had a harder time following this one than I did with the first, partially because it had been a while since I read Breathe, and partially because there was just so many different characters to keep their parts straight. I did like it though, and I think if someone were to read the two books closer together they would enjoy it even more.

Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
We didn't think sailing to Sequoia would be easy, but we hoped for better luck than freezing rain and winds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,996,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible