Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers: A Guide to…

Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers: A Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases,… (1994)

by Robert M. Sapolsky

I truly enjoyed this book. The author is knowledgeable and thorough in his explanations. He covers the effects of stress on the body systems and also looks at holisticaly. I would suggest this book to anyone who has a body and gets stressed. ( )
  GlennBell | Mar 27, 2015 |
Finally finished this book, audiobook format. Well- (if not over-) written but with humour and lots of life analogies to help cut through the enormous amount of medical-ese. This unabridged audiobook was long - 15 discs - and the reader (Peter Berkrot) was excellent. But I think Sapolsky could have made a case for a good book in half the amount of pages (discs) than he did. I did find myself skipping ahead so as not to have to listen to yet another study because after awhile, it became overkill.

Bottom line, stress can cause all sorts of nasty problems to a human body. Different personality types, the way a person was raised, and the way a person responds to stress can influence health. Certain personality types can also be more prone to the adverse effects of stress. In other words, no easy answers. ( )
  jessibud2 | May 10, 2014 |
Brilliant. One of the better popular science books I've read. ( )
  chaosmogony | Apr 27, 2013 |
An in-depth look at the nature of stress and the effects that it has on our bodies. The main idea here is that our reaction to stress evolved to be useful in a particular kind of acute, fight-or-flight situation, but the biological responses that are very helpful when you're spending ten minutes running away from a lion can be anything but helpful when you're sitting around all day fretting about how you're going to pay your mortgage. Actually, just reading this book can be pretty stressful, with its endless litany of horrible things that your worrying is probably doing to your body right this minute, although the author does at least try to end things on a comforting and hopeful note.

This is definitely for people who are interested in the biological details of what happens in our bodies under stress: which hormones are released when, what they do, how they interact with each other, and how they have the effects they have. It was, perhaps, sometimes a little more detail than I really wanted, but Sapolsky leavens it all with humor and a pleasantly informal style, and does a good job of not insulting the reader's intelligence while being entertainingly sympathetic about how confusing some of it is.

The version I have is the third edition, published in 2004, which apparently is significantly revised and contains a couple of new chapters, including one on sleep and stress, a topic that is particularly relevant to me as a shift-worker. ( )
  bragan | Aug 13, 2012 |
If you have any interest in popular science, or are curious about what exactly stress does to the human body (and why), then make a beeline to this book. It's funny, intelligent, very approachable, extremely well researched, and brilliantly well written. Somewhere between Oliver Sacks/Robert Winston and VS Ramachandran in style, with the accessibility and enthusiasm of the former meeting the erudition of the latter.

Strongly recommended for curious minds everywhere! ( )
  joannasephine | Sep 15, 2011 |
For Lisa, my best friend, who has made my life complete
It's two o'clock in the morning and you're lying in bed.

Renowned primatologist Robert Sapolsky offers a completely revised and updated edition of his most popular work, with nearly 90,000 copies in print

Now in a third edition, Robert M. Sapolsky's acclaimed and successful Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers features new chapters on how stress affects sleep and addiction, as well as new insights into anxiety and personality disorder and the impact of spirituality on managing stress.
As Sapolsky explains, most of us do not lie awake at night worrying about whether we have leprosy or malaria. Instead, the diseases we fear-and the ones that plague us now-are illnesses brought on by the slow accumulation of damage, such as heart disease and cancer. When we worry or experience stress, our body turns on the same physiological responses that an animal's does, but we do not resolve conflict in the same way-through fighting or fleeing. Over time, this activation of a stress response makes us literally sick.
Combining cutting-edge research with a healthy dose of good humor and practical advice, Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers explains how prolonged stress causes or intensifies a range of physical and mental afflictions, including depression, ulcers, colitis, heart disease, and more. It also provides essential guidance to controlling our stress responses. This new edition promises to be the most comprehensive and engaging one yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

The author explains how the nervous system responds to stress and how this interaction can affect circulatory, immune and reproductive functions, as well as overall physical and mental health.

145 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible