Heaven Is Paved with Oreos by Catherine…

Heaven Is Paved with Oreos

by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

It's weird to not have DJ as the main character. The very few moments she was around I wanted a new book with her in college. I so miss her. Sarah was a very mg character. Though her story was interesting on it's own. I did get a little emotional and dad about it all ending. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
sister of Elizabeth Gilbert of Eat Pray Love
  MatkaBoska | Jul 14, 2017 |
I picked this up from the new shelf at the library because I really admired [Dairy Queen]. At first, I was sorely disappointed with 14 year old Sarah as narrator. The first section of the book is pretty juvenile, which I guess is the point. The presence of DJ as a minor character helped some.
I was glad of the relief when Grandma Z takes over the narrative in the second section, though she proves almost as juvenile.
The last section, where Sarah is just old enough to process some of the complexities of life, is well done. I guess it was worth the trip. Though how ANYONE could spoil being in Rome is still a mystery to me.
Ps: Murdock makes a point of the regional name of something. Sarah remarks that the Italians call it cola while she knows it as pop.
Things may have changed in the interim, but 50 years ago, my Wisconsin cousins made fun of my Pittsburgh use of the word pop, insisting SODA is correct.
  2wonderY | Jan 31, 2014 |
I picked this up based on loving Dairy Queen and it is still good but skews much younger. Still a sweet book. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 28, 2013 |
Sarah's hippie-like grandmother (Z) asks to take her along on her birthday trip to Italy. Told in a journal style, Murdock's middle grade book is geared for a younger audience than her Dairy Queen series. I thought it was inspired to have the main character, Sarah Zorn, to be the best friend and fake girlfriend of Curtis Schwenk. And as DJ also popped up as a worthy character, I thought it was fun to re-visit her too, but worried that people not as familiar with the Dairy Queen novels would find such a strong character distracting. Z's eventual story, which plays out both in Rome and Wisconsin, is a revelation for Sarah and perhaps will help her navigate her own trip into first love. ( )
  ethel55 | Oct 11, 2013 |
Z: “I can only imagine Miss Hesselgrave’s reaction, were she to learn the deep secret beneath my enthusiasm for repeating her journey – she might swallow a tea cup!”

Fourteen-year-old Sarah Zorn intends to spend the Wisconsin summer with her “boyfriend” Curtis, waiting for a dead calf named Boris to decompose in time for the science fair. Her plans upend, however, when her fake-boyfriend strategy goes seriously awry just as her hippie Grandma Z invites her on a last-minute Roman holiday. As Sarah explores Italy’s ancient wonders, she can’t stop “boy-liking” Curtis . . . or puzzling over her grandmother’s odd behavior. Written as Sarah’s journal, this satisfying middle grade novel navigates the murky waters of first love, friendship, and family with heart and good humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:09 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Sarah keeps a journal of her pilgrimage to Rome with her eccentric grandmother, Z, her evolving relationship with best friend Curtis, and daily conversations with Curtis's sister and star athlete, D.J.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,305,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible