Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman

The Hypnotists

by Gordon Korman

Jax Opus is a pretty ordinary kid except that he has a gift as a hypnotist. He is descended from two families noted for this ability. When it is discovered, he is offered a place at Sentia which is operated by Elias Mako who "has devoted his life to New York City education and is an inspiration to every single one of us." At first, Jax feels that Sentia is a waste of his time since no one will tell them what they are doing. He also has trouble getting to know the other kids there who are all really busy trying to be the best hypnotists.

Jax finally gets to the stage where he is making some progress when he meets a guy from a rival organization called the Sandmen who tells him Mako is not the benefactor to humanity that he says he is. When Mako convinces Jax to make a video to encourage all viewers to vote for Mako's candidate for president, Jax finally realizes that Mako isn't a good guy. But Mako has hypnotized Jax's parents and left a suggestion that they kill themselves which forces Jax to do what Mako wants.

Jax has to call on the Sandmen to help him get the better of Mako in an exciting scene at the presidential candidate's victory rally. I liked Jax and thought that he was a good kid who got into a bad situation. The story was filled with action enough to keep any middle grader turning the pages.

This is the first book of a three book series and will make readers want to get the rest to find out more about Jax and his abilities. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 22, 2017 |
this was my very first Gordon Korman book...dang what was I waiting on???? A fairly quick read, Jax has always thought himself to be a little odd. Little did he know that he has a long family history of hypnotists....on both sides of the family. Enter The Sentia Institute...a place for hypnos to fine tune their skills. Jax thinks the institute is great until he learns that things are not as they seem. ( )
  booher67 | Oct 14, 2016 |
The premise of this book sounded very exciting. At first I was intrigued but this excitement only lasted for about four chapters into the book. After this I was bored but I thought I would stick with the book in the hopes that it would get intriguing again when Jax arrived and honed in his skills at Sentia Institute. Which at first my interest did peak up again some but it was evident quickly that there was nothing really fascinating about Jax and his skill. Ok, maybe this is not fully true as this book probably would have been better if the rest of the characters were exciting, the dialect better, and there was heightened action. Yet for the younger readers they may like this book. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 2, 2016 |
Narrated by Ramon de Campo. Wouldn't it be fun to have powers of hypnosis and manipulate people to get what you want? With great power comes great responsibility and that's the theme here as Jax finds himself battling his mentor to save democracy. It's all very over-the-top and the adults are pretty inept, but it serves as a suspenseful escapist read for kids. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jax is recruited into an organization that helps people who have the power to hypnotize others learn to use and control their powers. Jax is special even among hypnotists as he is the descendent of two famous mesmerizing families. The head of the organization tries to use Jax's amazing abilities to affect politics and Jax ends up getting help from a rival organization.

So the book starts off very action and adventure...peters out in the middle....and then gets all action again at the end. It was the slow middle that killed me, that and Jax's blind trust just about killed the book for me. There was a lack of new information about the institute, the things Jax was learning weren't that interesting and it got a bit repetitive. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

An all-new, mesmerizing adventure from the masterful Gordon Korman!

Jackson Opus has always been persuasive, but he doesn't know that he's descended from the two most powerful hypnotist bloodlines on the planet. He's excited to be accepted into a special program at the Sentia Institute -- but when he realizes he's in over his head, Jackson will have to find a way to use his powers to save his friends, his parents, and his government.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Jackson Opus is descended from two powerful hypnotist bloodlines, but he has just begun to realize that he can control other peoples' actions with sometimes frightening results--especially when the head of the Sentia Institute plans to use Jackson for his own benefit.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible