Charming by Elliott James

Charming

by Elliott James

At first, I wasn't sure if I would like this but I did by the end of the book. In a lot of ways, it feels like a prologue to me. You barely get to meet some of the most interesting characters and you end up thinking there are more exciting adventures to come. But if there are more books in the series, I will check them out. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 19, 2018 |
When I got this book I thought it would be Paranormal Romance. I mean, look at the title. Charming? Don't let that fool you. This is Urban Fantasy of the more serious kind.

John Charming--and yes, that is his name, he's descended from a long line of Charmings--used to be a monster hunting knight. Then he became a monster and now the knights hunt him. John isn't sure if he's a monster or not, but he is sure he doesn't want to be killed, so he's on the run. One night while tending bar he encounters a creepy vampire and a mysterious blonde woman. The vampire ends up dead and the woman saves his life. Her name is Sig ("like the gun") and she--along with her band of wizards, human monster hunters, priests, cops, and other monsters--hunts monsters, too. He can join them if he wants, and for now he does.

Yeah, there's some romance in this book. But it's complicated and human and doesn't ever take precedence over the monster hunting and fighting. It also isn't easy, and sometimes adults have to make hard decisions about their lives and loves.

The main plot is about a very dangerous vampire who, according to a psychic vision, will become someone known through history for her evil. The subplot is ... well, spoilers tell no tales. During the book John easily drops in important information about this well thought out world, and in the final chapter you find out why.

Best of all, the book has a fantastic ending line. I finished the book and sat there grinning.

(ARC provided by publisher) ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Turgid, wordy, lifeless and needlessly convoluted. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
Brings to mind Jim C Hines' Libriomancer or Kevin Herne's Iron Druid series.... Jim Butcher too. Less jocular though.
Enjoyable - I'll read more. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Not sure how this ended up on my Kindle app but I gave it a try when I was stuck somewhere with nothing to entertain me.

On the good side: it's fast-paced and occasionally funny. The premise of the world-as-we-don't-know-it is interesting. In fact, I thought it was really interesting.

On the not-so-good side: waaayy too many "As You Know, Bob" moments. The author clearly never heard the admonishment, "Show, don't tell." The result is a set of characters that, while superficially likeable, are just that...superficial and one-dimensional.

As for the constant comparisons to Harry Dresden: I'm sorry, but no. Yes, we have a wise-cracking, cynical lead. However, in contrast to Harry, John is an idiot saved only by the fact that he's powerful enough to be Teflon. The entire book seems to be him acting like a bad boy/prima donna and surviving because he heals like a son of a bitch.

Pun intended. ( )
  TadAD | May 2, 2017 |

John Charming isn't your average Prince...

He comes from a line of Charmings -- an illustrious family of dragon slayers, witch-finders and killers dating back to before the fall of Rome. Trained by a modern day version of the Knights Templar, monster hunters who have updated their methods from chainmail and crossbows to kevlar and shotguns, he was one of the best. That is-- until he became the abomination the Knights were sworn to hunt.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, he tends bar under an assumed name in rural Virginia and leads a peaceful, quiet life. One that shouldn't change just because a vampire and a blonde walked into his bar... Right?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:06 -0400)

"A fascinating twist on the Prince Charming fairy tale with a modern twist and a hunt for monsters -- both within and supernatural." --

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,234,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible