The Thread that Binds the Bones by Nina…

The Thread that Binds the Bones (1993)

by Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Series: Chapel Hollow (1)

I'm sorry, I hate to not finish a book but I can't read any more of this. It is a romance for teenagers and just does not appeal to me in any way. Maybe if I was younger...... ( )
  scot2 | Jun 9, 2018 |
An exploration of themes of magical slavery and combating the arising domestic violence/abuse. Not as icky as I'm making out, except in the implications. ( )
  fred_mouse | Oct 11, 2017 |
Tom Renfield, janitor-cum-taxi driver, has always had some weird abilities - seeing ghosts, perceiving other 'currents' of energy... but he's always tried to ignore them. Running from himself seems to be a large part of how he ended up in the tiny town of Arcadia. However, when he picks up a beautiful model from the big city in his taxi and sets off to take her to her brother's wedding at an obscure house in the woods, little does he know what he's in for. Laura's extended family are an ancient clan of witches(?) who make a habit of terrorizing and enslaving the townspeople. However, that doesn't stop Tom from instantly falling in love with her. With the help of a ghost, things are about to get shaken up in the town of Arcadia... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
The story was good [note NOT the plot], the characters were good. Well everything was good. The plot didn't come together. It more or less rambled on with small scenes dedicated to various characters than a solid over all plot.

And frankly the ending was more like a "Well that's all they are paying me for." rip the page out of the typewriter. It never finished up the story. It simply stopped. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Very nicely written--Hoffman's a stylist. The premise is pretty much Zenna Henderson's The People gone bad, which is intriguing. Very readable, but I felt it skimpy in parts. Not that I wanted an explanation or backstory for the Family, or why they have Clearly Symbolic Surnames, but that the baddy was such a shadowy figure until the end, and it seemed the other characters were overlooking the source of the problem (which was perhaps established too early, or I'm too quick at guessing). Also I didn't really feel afraid for the hero; his powers were so mutable and adaptable I felt sure they'd rise to the occasion.
I enjoyed it, and I'd read other books by her, but it did make me wonder if she was held back by wordcount limits or other considerations.
  bmlg | Feb 24, 2011 |

Nina Kiriki Hoffmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bober, RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fricker, UnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dean and Kris and Kate and Damon,
who urged me to fix it and send it out;
For Matt, who encouraged me to clean it up;
And for Debb, the first reader of my dreams:
thanks for letting me use your shower.
Tom Renfield kicked the door of the girls' rest room open and pushed the mop bucket in ahead of him, wondering if there would be any new graffiti since he last cleaned there a week ago.

Winner of the Bram Stoker Award: Tom can see ghosts?and that?s the least of his gifts. Now he must harness his newfound magic to save Chapel Hollow. A drifter trying to hide his extraordinary powers?and find a place where he belongs?Tom Renfield has recently settled in the small Oregon town of Arcadia. But when Laura Bolte gets into his cab, he?s plunged deep into a world of magic he didn?t even know existed. The pair is thrown together by supernatural forces, and Tom learns that Laura is the gifted daughter of an ancient family who lives in the nearby enclave of Chapel Hollow. But the mysterious clan has dark?and dangerous?secrets. If Tom is to have any hope of finding the kinship he?s been looking for, he and Laura must find a way to protect the home of her ancestors and the innocent citizens of Arcadia. The debut of a Philip K. Dick Award nominee who has been called (3zsthis generation?s Ray Bradbury,(3y sThe Thread That Binds the Bones is an extraordinary fantasy novel by the author of A Fistful of Sky and The Silent Strength of Stones ( The Sunday Oregonian ). The Thread That Binds the Bones is the 1st book in the Chapel Hollow Novels, but you may enjoy reading the series in any order. This ebook includes the bonus stories (3zsLost Lives(3y sand (3zsCaretaking.(3y.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,498,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible