The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The…

The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever…

by Greg Sestero, Tom Bissell (Author)

I don't think I can watch The Room now without feeling profound sympathy for its creator. Tommy Wiseau made his greatest dream come true. How many of us can say we've accomplished that?

Sestero does an excellent job of describing the man's erratic, mysterious character without bashing him. He approaches his subject with an appropriate mix of wonderment, terror, and love.

It is so much easier to laugh at someone's perceived failures than it is to join them in pursuing what many would consider a ridiculous, laughable goal. That involves taking a risk. Sestero took a risk with Wiseau and it seems to have paid off in many ways.

This was a surprisingly heartwarming read. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
Equal parts hilarious and tragic - frequently at the same time - this is the story of Greg Sestero's friendship with the enigmatic Tommy Wiseau, and the filming of The Room, the worst movie ever made. I did actually come away from this feeling kind of sorry for Tommy sometimes. (And then sometimes he's an outrageous asshole, and then sometimes he's just a space alien.) And now I actually kind of want to watch The Room again. I highly recommend the audiobook; although Sestero's narration is sometimes choppy (weirdly so for an actor), his Tommy Wiseau impression more than makes up for it. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Dec 27, 2016 |
Oh man, this book is something else.

If you've been on the internet for longer than a minute or even if you just kind-of pay attention to pop culture phenomenon, you've probably heard of the movie The Room. It has been parodied and critiqued all over the net and has seeped into the minds of almost everyone. It is a movie in only the loosest sense of the word with insane, seemingly random edits and action and dialog that is stilted and unintentionally hilarious. Written, directed, produced by, and starring Tommy Wiseau it follows a group of friends as they go about their business in San Francisco. There is a love story and a betrayal ("You're tearing me apart Lisa!"), a creepy 18(?) year old neighbor, and a drug dealer, plus a seemingly random admission of breast cancer that is never brought up again. It's pretty terrible, yet fascinating and is excellent to watch with a group of friends.

This book, The Disaster Artist:My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made, is written by one of the lead actors who played Mark in the film. When this book came up for a Kindle Daily Deal on Amazon I knew I had to put all other books on hold to read it and it did not disappoint.

It tells two stories, one is the story of the terrible and traumatic filming process and the other is a story of Greg and Tommy meeting and becoming friends. The narrative switches back and forth between them as he tells the story.

The story of making the film is at turns funny and a little scary as you see how unhinged Wiseau can be and all of the strife he put the actors and crew members in. You really start to sympathize with these poor people who have to say these insane words and try to bring them to life. Not to mention the crew Wiseau put together to film this damn movie. Greg Sestero really has a great way of telling this story where you can see that he is trying very hard not to run away screaming and just wants to get finished with the movie and put the whole thing behind him. Plus, its nice to hear good things about the other actors on set and learn a bit about them.

The other story is two stories in one. One is the story of Greg Sestero trying his hardest to become an actor. I came into this book to hear about the filming of the movie but was pleasantly surprised to find out I really liked this portion of the book as well. It really does give you a pretty great idea what it is like to shoot for a dream that seems more and more out of grasp. The other portion of this story is the story of an unlikely friendship that grows between Tommy Wiseau and Greg. From first meeting him is an acting class and following the friendship I stayed riveted. You really get the sense that, at first at least, Greg found Tommy fascinating and alien but also a source of comfort and confidence. Tommy seemed to come into his life when Greg needed someone to push him out of a comfort zone.

Both of these story lines are well told and quite funny. I found my self laughing quite a bit while reading. Both because of humor and a sort of cringy disbelief. I am so glad I picked this book up, it gives a new perspective on an old pop culture punchline and really makes you comprehend the utter madness involved. ( )
1 vote Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Even if you know nothing about the cult classic terrible movie The Room, The Disaster Artist is still a very interesting read about a very odd relationship between two people, the dangers of unrelenting optimism and following your dreams without any regard for anything or anyone else. In a lot of ways the book is entertaining in the same way as the movie was, you'll spend so much time just being amazed at the mind-boggling decissions and thought process of a highly delusional man. Unlike the movie though The Disaster Artist presents this in a competent and thought provoking way, staying true to the facts and not taking any unwarranted jabs at the titular Disaster Artist. Every second spent exploring Wiseau and the way he perceives the world around him is delightful, it is therefor a shame that we never find out more about him. Wiseau is a secretive man and this was the information the writer had at hand, so it's understandable enough. The book gives us insight on what might be one of the strangest people on planet earth and in a way that is both fascinating and entertaining, it's a read that's definitely worth your time. ( )
  Regulan | Sep 13, 2016 |
Found myself laughing out loud on almost every page. A great character study of a most eccentric director who makes a cult classic without ever trying to do so. Enjoyable even without having seen the movie, but the book doesn't really spoil it. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jul 14, 2016 |

Greg Sesteroprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bissell, TomAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, AkashaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Imagine a movie so incomprehensible that you find yourself compelled to watch is over and over again.

"In 2003, an independent film called The room ... made its disastrous debut in Los Angeles. Described by one reviewer as 'like getting stabbed in the head,' the six-million-dollar film earned a grand total of $1800 at the box office and closed after two weeks. Ten years later, The room is an international cult phenomenon ... In [this book], actor Greg Sestero, Tommy's costar and longtime best friend, recounts the film's long, strange journey to infamy, unraveling mysteries for fans ... as well as the question that plagues the uninitiated: how the hell did a movie this awful ever get made?"--… (more)

67 wanted2 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible