Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Dennis Lehane

Member:read4thefunofit
Title:Shutter Island
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:2012, fiction, boston, psychiatric hospitals, delusions, u. s. marshals

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (2003)

The Silence Of The Lambs by Thomas Harris (SastRe.O)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (derelicious)
    Dark Places: A Novel by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    The Ninth Configuration by William Peter Blatty (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both deal with non-traditional approaches to treating insanity.
    Disordered Minds by Minette Walters (cometahalley)
    The Ruins by Scott Smith (cometahalley)
    The Cry of the Owl by Patricia Highsmith (cometahalley)
    In Matto's Realm by Friedrich Glauser (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Asylum by Patrick McGrath (sturlington)
    The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (dmenon90)
    dmenon90: Both tell the story of the mentally-ill from a different perspective. Relationships and beliefs of the mentally ill are keenly explored and the role of psychiatric treatment is at the forefront of both.
    Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes (lindseyrivers)
    Memory's Ghost: The Nature Of Memory And The Strange Tale Of Mr. M by Philip J. Hilts (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Because the book is a true tale about what is memory and how it affects the person.
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (marcejewels)
    The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer (marcejewels)
    Primal Fear by William Diehl (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar themes dealing with insanity
    Prey by Michael Crichton (kaydern)
    kaydern: Based on the narrative style and the way they both make you jump at shadows.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Dennis Lehane stated in an interview that the book is in part a homage to Bronte's work.

English (239)  French (5)  Swedish (4)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All (251)
I used to be exclusively into fantasy and then I found this book it was so engaging and the ending was such a head scratchier that it made me want to branch out into other kinds of books. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
I started reading this some time ago and liked it, but somehow the book just got away from me and I didn't finish it. I just listened to it for one of my book clubs. I also found the book again. I had seen the movie and recalled the twist at the end, but not all the details. This is heartbreaking and a good mystery. Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aul, are US Marshalls and sent to a mental hospital set on an island after a female patient somehow disappears. There is no way for her to escape, but somehow she has and she has to be somewhere on the island. The twist is good and like I said, heartbreaking. I recommend it.
  taurus27 | May 26, 2017 |
I always though about watching this movie, but the preview made it look like another ghost movie, so I never did. But I am glad I read the book. A good psychological thriller with unexpected twists and turns. After finishing it, I'm still not sure who was sane and who was insane! Maybe now I'll watch the movie and see how they interpret it. ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
I had heard great things about this book, so I finally decided to read it. The book just didn't do it for me. I loved Mystic River, but the whole time I read this book, I felt like I was being manipulated to believe what was written in spite of the fact that the whole scene appeared to be contrived. The whole time, the book felt wrong to me and at the end I realized I had been manipulated and led down the proverbial garden path. I can see where this would make a great movie although I haven't seen it. A great movie, but a so-so book for me. ( )
  Romonko | Dec 28, 2016 |
The year is 1954. Two United States Marshals - Edward 'Teddy' Daniels and his partner Chuck Aule - have recently arrived on a remote island located in Boston Harbor. Shutter Island is the home of an extraordinary, groundbreaking medical facility - Ashecliffe Hospital For the Criminally Insane - an asylum which offers only the most modern psychiatric treatments for its patients. The marshals have come to investigate the mysterious disappearance of one of Ashecliffe's most notorious patients - a severely mentally disturbed woman who has been accused of drowning her three young children.

Rachel Solando has been incarcerated for several years, yet she has somehow managed to escape from a locked and guarded cell. Despite keeping her under constant surveillance, the doctors are baffled by Rachel's sudden and inexplicable disappearance, and they are alarmed by the knowledge that a multiple murderess is now loose somewhere on the barren island. As a deadly hurricane bears down relentlessly on the island, Teddy and Chuck find themselves in the middle of one of the most bizarre cases of their careers.

Actually, everything about Ashecliffe Hospital seems bizarre. Hints of radical experimentation and covert government machinations have begun to taint the stellar reputation of Ashecliffe, adding darker, more sinister shades to an already peculiar case. Because the closer Teddy and Chuck come to the truth, the more they realize that nothing about Ashecliffe Hospital is remotely what it seems.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, it was a well-written, engrossing plot that kept me guessing right until the end. This was actually quite different from the typical story that I read, and I was intrigued to see how the story would eventually develop. I would certainly give this book an A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 6, 2016 |
Moving out from the working-class Boston neighborhoods where his hard-boiled private eyes and blue-collar cops normally conduct their realistic business, Dennis Lehane takes a leap into unknown genre territory in SHUTTER ISLAND (Morrow, $25.95). But whichever genre he's aiming for in this misguided effort -- psychological suspense, cold war thriller or Grand Guignol melodrama -- he misses it by a nautical mile.

The primary force of this book comes from Teddy's grief and his anguished memories of World War II, when he helped liberate inmates at Dachau. ... But its hidden power has a different source: Mr. Lehane's insight into his book's most disturbed figures. Suffice it to say that this is a deft, suspenseful thriller that unfolds with increasing urgency until it delivers a visceral shock in its final moments. When it comes to keeping readers exactly where he wants them, Mr. Lehane offers a bravura demonstration of how it's done.
added by eromsted | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Apr 17, 2003)

Verano de 1954. El agente federal Teddy Daniels llega a Shutter Island, isla en la que está ubicado el hospital Ashecliffe, un centro penitenciario para enfermos mentales. Junto con su compañero, Chuck Aule, se propone encontrar a una paciente desaparecida, una asesina llamada Rachel Solando, a medida que un huracán azota la isla. No obstante, nada es lo que parece en el hospital Ashecliffe. Y Teddy Daniels tampoco.¿Ha ido hasta allí para encontrar a una paciente desaparecida? ¿O le han enviado para investigar los rumores acerca de los radicales métodos psiquiátricos que se utilizan en esa institución? Unos métodos que posiblemente incluyan la experimentación con drogas, pruebas quirúrgicas terribles, contraataques mortales en la guerra encubierta en contra de los lavados de cerebro soviéticos...
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Lehane takes a departure form his regular series and takes us to Shutter Island. This is a book that stretched both the author and the reader.

Lehane called his book, homage to gothic, but also homage to B Movies and Pulp!" Teddy is on Shutter Island to find a missing mental patient. As you travel with Teddy the story becomes more and more about Teddy than about the missing mental patient. The job of the reader is to decide what is real and what is make-believe as you travel with the main character Teddy. You hear the whispering echoes of the past as you find more and more clues. All illusions of control and all surefooted terrain ware away as you get deeper and deeper into the twists of the story.

The context of the book has been written once, and then written completely anew, and then twisted once again the third go around of writing this twisted tale. The story line however stays constant and helps one misunderstand the novel. You will read yourself to a knotted rope, for the author has left enough chords to twist around your neck and hang yourself by. Breathing becomes something you need to remind yourself to do as you get caught up in the current of Shutter Island.

The story looks at mental health treatments of the past compared to what methods are used today. Lehane asks his readers, "What is the fine line between treatment and sterilization of the mind?

Enjoy the twisted mind of Dennis Lehane in his book Shutter Island, A definite cluck cluck cluck.

. . . must we dream our dreams and have them, too?

--Elizabeth Bishop,
"Questions of Travel"
For Chris Gleason and Mike Eigen. Who listened. And heard. And sometimes carried.
FROM THE JOURNALS OF DR. LESTER SHEEHAN

May 3, 1993

I haven't laid eyes on the island in several years.
Teddy said, "Who's "she"? Where did "she" come from, Chuck?" - "There's always a she, isn't there?"
Waking, after all, was an almost natal state. You surfaced without a history, then spent the blinks and yawns reassembling your past, shuffling the shards into chronological order before fortifying yourself for the present.
"How many psychiatrists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" - "I don't know. How many?" - "Eight." - "Why?" - "Oh, stop overanalyzing it."
Charm was the luxury of those who still believed in the essential rightness of thing. In purity and picket fences.
He struck Teddy as the kind of guy who needed watching, too secure in his own fulfillment of his parents' wildest dreams.
One of the editions has the ISBN and cover for Mystic River, not Shutter Island.
The story takes place in 1954 on Shutter Island, home to a psychiatric hospital called Ashecliffe. U.S. Deputy Marshals Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando, who had committed multiple murders. The deputy marshals search the island for the patient as a hurricane bears down on them, and they find that the hospital has practiced sinister measures during its existence.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038073186X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this remote and barren island, despite having been kept in a locked cell under constant surveillance. As a killer hurricane bears relentlessly down on them, a strange case takes on even darker, more sinister shades -- with hints of radical experimentation, horrifying surgeries, and lethal countermoves made in the cause of a covert shadow war. No one is going to escape Shutter Island unscathed, because nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems. But then neither is Teddy Daniels.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:03 -0400)

Verano de 1954. El agente federal Teddy Daniels llega a Shutter Island, isla en la que esta ubicado el hospital Ashecliffe, un centro penitenciario para enfermos mentales. Junto con su companero, Chuck Aule, se propone encontrar a una paciente desaparecida, una asesina llamada Rachel Solando, a medida que un huracan azota la isla. No obstante, nada es lo que parece en el hospital Ashecliffe. Y Teddy Daniels tampoco. Ha ido hasta alla para encontrar a una paciente desaparecida? O le han enviado para investigar los rumores acerca de los radicales todos psiquiatricos que se utilizan en esa institucion? Unos metodos que posiblemente incluyan la experimentacion con drogas, pruebas quirurgicas terribles, contraataques mortales en la guerra encubierta en contra de los lavados de cerebro sovieticos... --Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,031,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible