Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Dennis Lehane

Member:read4thefunofit
Title:Shutter Island
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:2012, fiction, boston, psychiatric hospitals, delusions, u. s. marshals

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (2003)

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (SastRe.O)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (derelicious)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    In Matto's Realm by Friedrich Glauser (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (dmenon90)
    dmenon90: Both tell the story of the mentally-ill from a different perspective. Relationships and beliefs of the mentally ill are keenly explored and the role of psychiatric treatment is at the forefront of both.
    Disordered Minds by Minette Walters (cometahalley)
    The Cry of the Owl by Patricia Highsmith (cometahalley)
    The Ninth Configuration by William Peter Blatty (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both deal with non-traditional approaches to treating insanity.
    Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes (lindseyrivers)
    The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer (marcejewels)
    Memory's Ghost: The Nature Of Memory And The Strange Tale Of Mr. M by Philip J. Hilts (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Because the book is a true tale about what is memory and how it affects the person.
    Primal Fear by William Diehl (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar themes dealing with insanity
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (marcejewels)
    The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Ruins by Scott Smith (cometahalley)
    Prey by Michael Crichton (kaydern)
    kaydern: Based on the narrative style and the way they both make you jump at shadows.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: Dennis Lehane stated in an interview that the book is in part a homage to Bronte's work.

English (219)  French (6)  Swedish (4)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (231)
A hauntingly stunning piece of work that combines psycho-horror, mystery and normal horror. It's set on an insane asylum on an island. A detective comes to the island to investigate a murder, only to be trapped there by the worst hurricane in years (symbolism!). It's exciting and thought provoking. You should read it a second time, you'll be making all the connections you missed the first time. Worth it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Almost Kafkaesque, this story reminds you that the distance between sanity and insanity might be no wider than the gap between laughing and crying. I thought the ending a bit odd, but, then again, maybe it wasn't... ( )
  davevanl | Aug 18, 2014 |
One of the most effective psychological thrillers I've read. I would have cut out a lot of the parts with the flashbacks to the main character's wife, but other than that I loved every second. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
I've been waiting to read another Lehane book since Dusty recommended Mystic River to me. I am happy to report that book number two was just as amazing as book number one!

This is a tale with mysteries and codes to be decripted, and asks the question, "How do you prove you are not crazy?" Afterall, crazy people will deny that they are crazy, so by denying one's (in)sanity, you are confirming that you are insane...or are you just telling the truth?

This is a story of secrets and lies--not only those we tell other people, but the ones we tell ourselves. It didn't develop the way I expected, but I was not disappointed in the least.

I'm ready for more Lehane!! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

I'm ready for more Lehane!! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Moving out from the working-class Boston neighborhoods where his hard-boiled private eyes and blue-collar cops normally conduct their realistic business, Dennis Lehane takes a leap into unknown genre territory in SHUTTER ISLAND (Morrow, $25.95). But whichever genre he's aiming for in this misguided effort -- psychological suspense, cold war thriller or Grand Guignol melodrama -- he misses it by a nautical mile.

The primary force of this book comes from Teddy's grief and his anguished memories of World War II, when he helped liberate inmates at Dachau. ... But its hidden power has a different source: Mr. Lehane's insight into his book's most disturbed figures. Suffice it to say that this is a deft, suspenseful thriller that unfolds with increasing urgency until it delivers a visceral shock in its final moments. When it comes to keeping readers exactly where he wants them, Mr. Lehane offers a bravura demonstration of how it's done.
added by eromsted | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Apr 17, 2003)

Lehane takes a departure form his regular series and takes us to Shutter Island. This is a book that stretched both the author and the reader.

Lehane called his book, homage to gothic, but also homage to B Movies and Pulp!" Teddy is on Shutter Island to find a missing mental patient. As you travel with Teddy the story becomes more and more about Teddy than about the missing mental patient. The job of the reader is to decide what is real and what is make-believe as you travel with the main character Teddy. You hear the whispering echoes of the past as you find more and more clues. All illusions of control and all surefooted terrain ware away as you get deeper and deeper into the twists of the story.

The context of the book has been written once, and then written completely anew, and then twisted once again the third go around of writing this twisted tale. The story line however stays constant and helps one misunderstand the novel. You will read yourself to a knotted rope, for the author has left enough chords to twist around your neck and hang yourself by. Breathing becomes something you need to remind yourself to do as you get caught up in the current of Shutter Island.

The story looks at mental health treatments of the past compared to what methods are used today. Lehane asks his readers, "What is the fine line between treatment and sterilization of the mind?

Enjoy the twisted mind of Dennis Lehane in his book Shutter Island, A definite cluck cluck cluck.

. . . must we dream our dreams and have them, too?

--Elizabeth Bishop,
"Questions of Travel"
For Chris Gleason and Mike Eigen. Who listened. And heard. And sometimes carried.
FROM THE JOURNALS OF DR. LESTER SHEEHAN

May 3, 1993

I haven't laid eyes on the island in several years.
Teddy said, "Who's "she"? Where did "she" come from, Chuck?" - "There's always a she, isn't there?"
Waking, after all, was an almost natal state. You surfaced without a history, then spent the blinks and yawns reassembling your past, shuffling the shards into chronological order before fortifying yourself for the present.
"How many psychiatrists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" - "I don't know. How many?" - "Eight." - "Why?" - "Oh, stop overanalyzing it."
Charm was the luxury of those who still believed in the essential rightness of thing. In purity and picket fences.
He struck Teddy as the kind of guy who needed watching, too secure in his own fulfillment of his parents' wildest dreams.
One of the editions has the ISBN and cover for Mystic River, not Shutter Island.

The story takes place in 1954 on Shutter Island, home to a psychiatric hospital called Ashecliffe. U.S. Deputy Marshals Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando, who had committed multiple murders. The deputy marshals search the island for the patient as a hurricane bears down on them, and they find that the hospital has practiced sinister measures during its existence.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038073186X, Mass Market Paperback)

The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this remote and barren island, despite having been kept in a locked cell under constant surveillance. As a killer hurricane bears relentlessly down on them, a strange case takes on even darker, more sinister shades -- with hints of radical experimentation, horrifying surgeries, and lethal countermoves made in the cause of a covert shadow war. No one is going to escape Shutter Island unscathed, because nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems. But then neither is Teddy Daniels.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Verano de 1954. El agente federal Teddy Daniels llega a Shutter Island, isla en la que esta ubicado el hospital Ashecliffe, un centro penitenciario para enfermos mentales. Junto con su companero, Chuck Aule, se propone encontrar a una paciente desaparecida, una asesina llamada Rachel Solando, a medida que un huracan azota la isla. No obstante, nada es lo que parece en el hospital Ashecliffe. Y Teddy Daniels tampoco. Ha ido hasta alla para encontrar a una paciente desaparecida? O le han enviado para investigar los rumores acerca de los radicales todos psiquiatricos que se utilizan en esa institucion? Unos metodos que posiblemente incluyan la experimentacion con drogas, pruebas quirurgicas terribles, contraataques mortales en la guerra encubierta en contra de los lavados de cerebro sovieticos... --Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible