Six Degrees of Separation by John Guare

Six Degrees of Separation (1990)

by John Guare

Recently added byprivate library, SOTDLibrary, Ray33, QG, engpunk77, e-zReader, kutheatre, rancho_las_rosas, sandrikoti

The experience of reading this play for the first time, not knowing what would happen, was amazing. The movie version doesn't even come close to doing it justice. ( )
  tercat | Nov 19, 2013 |
Sometimes once a play gets made into a movie, it's easy for the play to get lost. This play stands well on its own, and doesn't need all the props of a movie to carry it. The set is actually very simple (and surreal in many places). The premise isn't unique - a con man manages to get a bunch of self-important people to take him seriously - but the execution is original. The writing catches the cynical cleverness of the not-quite rich but highly educated, and yet it isn't just another swipe at pretentiousness. Guare takes his characters seriously, and appears to like at least some of them. He strips away the false pretensions and allows us to see the people underneath, without sneering at either the haves or the have nots. Worth reading over again for the subtle plot points you missed the first time. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Mar 21, 2013 |
The play is so short! 50 pages only. I liked the idea and to be honest I'd have liked it to be developed into something more. As it is, I feel I didn't "get" it, that I missed something, because it was over so quickly.
  verenka | Jun 13, 2010 |
I play that I read when I was 16. I liked it then. but mind you, my life was quite different. about an art dealer in Chi and a man who convinces them to buy. very much a play. ( )
  TakeItOrLeaveIt | Feb 21, 2009 |
This is a powerful play, and so interestingly put together that you won't be able to stop reading once you start. The characters are strangely realistic, and the writing beautiful. This is worth reading or staging. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Nov 2, 2008 |

The extraordinary tragicomedy of race, class and manners.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

In a Fifth Avenue apartment high above Central Park, art dealer Flanders Kittredge and his wife Ouisa ar trying to interest a moneyed friend in a $2 million investment when an unexpected guest arrives - and change their lives forever. Is the charming young Paul really a prep school firned of the Kittredge children? Is he really Sidney Poitier's son? And does it really matter, when he is such fascinating company?… (more)

7 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,860,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible