I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest

I Am Princess X (2015)

by Cherie Priest

Other authors: Kali Ciesemier (Illustrator)

The Doubt Factory by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!

I enjoyed this quick read. The mystery was intriguing and it was different from any mystery I had read before. The webcomic pages interspersed throughout the book provided clues and definitely added to story. I really liked the fact that there was a friendship that developed between two teens without any romance, as well as a strong female friendship that grounded the book making May's actions believable. ( )
  SGKowalski | Nov 5, 2018 |
The presentation for this book is wonderful. The book cover, chapter design, and illustrations are what drew me in. The purple theme is fitting because y'know royalty=princess.

STORY:

"The princess became their alter ego, their avatar, their third best friend" (pg 8).
In I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (256 pages), May and Libby bond over Princess X a character they mutually created in fifth grade, May wrote and Libby drew. Their friendship comes to a drastic halt when Libby passes away in a car crash. May thought Princess X died with her best friend, but apparently, Princess X is very much alive.

"Nobody ever... (pg 172)" [I forgot to write down my favorite quote from the book in its entirety, and I've already given the book back to the library. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ ]
Here's a quote I like from the book, that I actually wrote down:

"The cement turned a satisfying cherry red, like the pavement was bleeding" (pg 1).

I really liked that detail.

So, concerning the story, junk got real very fast. No lie, page nine hits the reader clean in the face. Pfft, it probably rearranged your nose.

I thought I knew who the great antagonist, Mr. Needleman, was but I was wrong!

CHARACTERS:

I liked reading about these characters a lot.

May was likable but a bit bland. Of course, she knew that as well because Libby's the one who brought liveliness to their lives.

Libby's half-Asian (half-Japanese to be exact) so there's 50¢ of diversity. But, she dies in the first ten pages so...

Anyway, I liked Libby a lot, to the point, I wished she would have narrated the story. For me, May could've been Princess X and let Libby shine by herself. Also, there was so little reaction for Libby's dad.

Patrick was a lot of fun!

My favorite would have to have been Jackdaw! He seemed a bit like an anti-hero. I don't know many people who would have done as much as he did.

OVERALL:

A pretty good thriller with a few surprises, 4 out of 5 stars! I wanted a cupcake more of suspense, but I acknowledge I had to read this book quickly (before its due date). Maybe I needed more time to ruminate on the ending. And for those who don't enjoy it, there was NO ROMANCE.

I recommend this book for any teen, though some of the hacking/computer stuff could possibly make someone paranoid. ( )
  DestDest | Oct 11, 2018 |
Wow. This was a great book. So fast-paced and suspenseful. Mysteries aren't usually my thing (although I'm okay with books from other genres having elements of mystery). But this had me hooked until the very end. I was genuinely invested in the characters. They were all very well-written - even the villain, who we never see much directly, and who gave me the major wiggins.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Story with webcomic strips mixed in to carry the tale. Princess X rocks! ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 26, 2018 |
This book has such a unique vibe to it that I was immediately hooked! I've never read a book with a graphic novel element added to it so this book was somewhat of a first for me. The storyline is solid and sometimes even a little creepier than I expected. Overall, I really, really loved this book. I plan to look into more work from the author since this work clearly displays a vivid sense of creativity! ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |

Cherie Priestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ciesemier, KaliIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Libby Deaton and May Harper invented Princess X in fifth grade, when Libby's leg was in a cast, and May had a doctor's note saying she couldn't run around the track anymore because her asthma would totally kill her.

Years after writing stories about a superheroine character she created with a best friend who died in a tragic car accident, sixteen-year-old May is shocked to see stickers, patches, and graffiti images of the superheroine appearing around Seattle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,915,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible