Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells…

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"

by Lena Dunham

Girl Walks into a Bar: A Memoir by Strawberry Saroyan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these candid memoirs, creative young women parlay privileged backgrounds into high-profile media careers, describing the double-edged sword of fame and success while experiencing personal and professional challenges common to twenty-something adults making their way in the world.… (more)
    Cherry by Mary Karr (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: harply witty and extremely honest, the authors of these memoirs write of their comings-of-age. While the bittersweet Cherry focuses on adolescence and sexual maturity, the subversive Not That Kind of Girl ranges from professional challenges to travel, dating, and self-actualization.… (more)

English (57)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
I'm not a Lena Dunham fan, but I thought I'd give her book a chance anyway. I wish I hadn't. ( )
1 vote Squirrel820 | Nov 21, 2018 |
My feelings on this are mixed. On one hand I love that Lena puts out there things that I have also thought/done/said. I think it's important that women are reflected honestly in society, and that means even the less than perfect bits. Body image, sex, insecurities - it's brave for a woman to unashamedly own her realness. I know that's kind of her thing though, so maybe it isn't as brave for her when it's part of her brand. But it's still very exciting to me. But then on the other hand Lena has lead a life I can't fully relate to, one of connections and money and certain opportunities. And it isn't jealousy that stops me engaging with that, but something else...maybe just plain dislike. I don't know, but I did find some parts a bit of a turn off. I enjoyed it for what it was, laughed and nodded along with quite a lot of it, but I can see why other people really didn't like it. Though I don't understand this need for people to make her a scapegoat for the (appalling) under representation of POC in art. Yes, her show has contributed to it, but it's a very small fish in a whopping great big ocean and I don't think it means the other things she has to say are not valid. One voice can't say everything, and there are ways to open the eyes of those in the position to make changes without attacking that person. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
more like 3.5. it's enjoyable. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
I found it hard to follow along at times, like it just jumped from one story to a different one and back. ( )
  BATGRLGOTHAMCITY | Apr 27, 2018 |
I wanted to love this but found myself underwhelmed for the majority of the book. perhaps I built it up too much prior to the release. I might be back for a proper review but for now I'll leave this placeholder. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |

"If I could take what I've learned and make one menial job easier for you, or prevent you from having the kind of sex where you feel you must keep your sneakers on in case you want to run away during the act, then every misstep of mine was worthwhile. I'm already predicting my future shame at thinking I had anything to offer you, but also my future glory in having stopped you from trying an expensive juice cleanse or thinking that it was your fault when the person you are dating suddenly backs away, intimidated by the clarity of your personal mission here on earth. No, I am not a sexpert, a psychologist or a dietician. I am not a mother of three or the owner of a successful hosiery franchise. But I am a girl with a keen interest in having it all, and what follows are hopeful dispatches from the frontlines of that struggle."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,762,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible