Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker

The Frog Princess (2002)

by E. D. Baker

Series: Tales of the Frog Princess (1)

Ivy's Ever After by Dawn Lairamore (readr)
    readr: Also has a strong princess, magic and adventure.
    Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl (HollyMS)
    Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris (foggidawn, HollyMS)

English (48)  Spanish (1)  All languages (49)
Would it surprise you if I told you that I read this just because I felt like it? No? Good. That means you know my reading style well! I love Middle Grade, I love fairy tales, and I can't resist anything that has a princess involved, so this book was something perfect for a quick read.

I loved the fact that Princess Emeralda was a "I can do it myself" kind of girl, and that situations allowed her to do just that. I also very much appreciated the adorable twist that E.D. Baker put on the whole frog prince story, while still staying true to the feeling of the original. This was a sweet, quick read that was a lot of fun to listen to. It was just exciting enough, without being too scary, and actually really well paced. It helps, of course, that Katherine Kellgren narrates this audio book. I adore her voice, and this was no exception.

To the surprise of no one, I didn't really love the prince. He was whiny, mostly self-centered, and rough to like. I suppose it was good that he was though, because his inability to really be front and center during any big moments made Emeralda shine! Still, that meant the romance didn't really work out for me, even though I knew it was the whole point of this fairy tale. I know this is Middle Grade, but I still maintain that a princess has every right to be picky! No one wants a whiny prince. *wink*

Overall, this was a cute read with a lot of fun parts in it. This would be excellent for a bedtime read between parents and their kids! ( )
  roses7184 | Oct 1, 2018 |
This is a cute book. I can see why it is still popular and why it spawned so many sequels. There is something about fairytales that we are drawn to. There's always a conflict. There's always a villain and a hero.There's often magic and fairies. Most of us get a version that's close to the original in childhood and there's something that compels us to the modified version when we get older.

This version of the Frog Prince is filled with humor. I've learned that kids gravitate toward books that make them laugh. Both the princess and the prince are strong-headed and quite sarcastic with one another. Emeralda is not a typical princess. She prefers to be outside and has no interest in marrying the egotistical Prince Jorge who her mom has picked out for her. It's while avoiding Prince Jorge that she ends up in the swamp and meets a talking frog. He eventually convinces her to kiss him so he will undo a witch's curse. As bad luck would have it, instead of Prince Eadric turning back into a prince, Emma turns into a frog. Since the antidote failed, they need to find the witch who cast the spell. Instead they are captured by a different witch and end up together in a cage waiting to have their tongues and toes cut off. They must figure out a way to save themselves and the other animals caged by the witch, as well as turn themselves back into humans.

The Frog Prince was never one of my favorite fairytales, and that may be influencing my rating. All in all, this version is probably about as good as it's ever going to get. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
Liked it but it felt rather childish. I read the sequel a year or two ago and loved that, but now I no longer feel a need to collect and read this series. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Fun bit of fluff. Emma is amusing; Eadric is rather annoying, I'm not seeing the sweet bits Emma does. He's either as arrogant as Jorge or trying to protect her against her wishes - or demanding a(nother) kiss. Maybe he'll settle down in the later books (he is about her age, I think, so silly is a given, for both of them). The spell mess is rather clever, precisely because it's so simple. Haywood is...rather convenient, but it's nice. Fun enough that I want to read the next book, though 8 books in the series may be too much in one go. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 28, 2017 |
This book is inspired by the original story, The Frog Prince. This book has the same message that one can love someone who is different from them based on who they are instead of based on there outward appearance, but it is conveyed differently. In this story, the Princess, Emma, kiss the prince, Eadric, who was turned into a frog by a witch. However, instead of the prince turning back into a human, Emma turned into a frog as well. I enjoyed the humor in the book because it kept it light and easy to read, but not all of the magical elements that were incorporated added something to significant to the plot. The story seemed to be more about romance than the message about not judging someone based on their immediate appearance. ( )
  efrenc2 | Oct 11, 2017 |

E. D. Bakerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jacobs, Sharon MurrayDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ellie, Kimmy, Nate for their encouragment and support. I would also like to thank Victoria Wells Arms, Nancy Denton, and Rebecca Gardner for their comments and suggestions.
Even as a little girl, I had thought that the swamp was a magical place where new lives began and old ones ended, where enemies and heroes weren't always what one expected, and where anything could happen, even to a clumsy princess.
Eadric reached out to tuck a loose curl behind my ear. "Fine. Just promise you'll never turn me into some loathsome creature if we happen do disagree." "I promise I won't turn you into anything you don't deserve."

I knelt on the ground at the edge of the pond. With a mighty leap, the frog landed on the ground beside me and puckered his lips. "Wait a minute!" I said, drawing back. The frog look distressed. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?" "No, no, it's just that, well, here." Fumbling in the small pouch attached to the waist of my gown, I found an embroidered handkerchief. I reached out and gently patted the frog's mouth clean. "You had dried fly feet stuck to your lips," I said, shuddering. "All right, let's try again." This time the kiss went without a hitch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

After reluctantly kissing a frog, an awkward, fourteen-year-old princess suddenly finds herself a frog, too, and sets off with the prince to seek the means--and the self-confidence--to become human again.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,522,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible