The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog…

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by E. D. Baker

Member:EBurggraf
Title:The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess)
Authors:E. D. Baker
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fairy Tales, Princesses, Royalty, Series, Magic, Witches, Fantasy

The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker (2002)

English (43)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
Story seems to consist of a dumb frog prince getting the smart and good princess into trouble and her using the friends she meets on the way to get them out of it, again and again. The characters show little depth in their actions; their only flaws are the ones the author first tells us about, and then hits us over the head with constantly. I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone looking for a complex read or good world-building. This is strictly a fluff read for girls that crave formulaic fantasy. Ages 8 to 10. ( )
  zenobia158 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Emma is a clumsy awkward princess who does not want to marry the vain Prince Jorge. She sneaks away from the palace to avoid visiting with him an meets a talking frog who claims to have been Prince Eadric under a spell. He convinces Emma to kiss him to lift the spell but she too turns into a frog. Only the witch who cast the spell can set it right. They go in search of the witch but get caught by another witch who intends to use their body parts in a spell. They manage to escape with the help of the witch's captive bat and get to Emma's magic-practicing aunt to see if she can help. In the process, Emma realizes she has magic capabilities herself which lead to Emma and Eadric becoming their true selves. Fairly tame YA; at most Eadric is lecherous about getting more kisses from Emma.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Awesome book! For fairy tale fans this is a must read!!!! One of the best! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
I actually really liked this book, as it was a re-telling of The Frog Prince but in a different way. The things I liked about this book were that the characters were really believable, the plot is well organized and the writing makes the story engaging, even though it is a re-telling. The first reason I liked this book was the fact that the author made the characters really believable. One of the ways she does this is even though the book is following a princess and a prince; they have experiences and thoughts that everyone else at that age has, which allows the reader to actually place themselves in their shoes. Another reason I liked this book was that the plot was really well organized. A clear example of this was that the adventure never stops, even when they are turned back into humans; this created a story that you never wanted to end. The final reason I really liked this book was that the author wrote her story in a way that made it entertaining. She did this particularly by making sure to change the story, like adding witches and different animals, to the main story of the princess and the frog. This created a different story than what kids have already read. The main message of this story is to take chances and do not give up on yourself. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Oct 24, 2015 |
Hm. Definitely cute and creative. The characters were none too rich, but there were enough of them to keep my interest (and none were cardboard). I was going to say I don't feel compelled to read more in the series, but I see that this is her lowest-rated book. So maybe I will, if I can find them. A pleasant hour or two. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Ellie, Kimmy, Nate for their encouragment and support. I would also like to thank Victoria Wells Arms, Nancy Denton, and Rebecca Gardner for their comments and suggestions.
Even as a little girl, I had thought that the swamp was a magical place where new lives began and old ones ended, where enemies and heroes weren't always what one expected, and where anything could happen, even to a clumsy princess.
Eadric reached out to tuck a loose curl behind my ear. "Fine. Just promise you'll never turn me into some loathsome creature if we happen do disagree." "I promise I won't turn you into anything you don't deserve."

I knelt on the ground at the edge of the pond. With a mighty leap, the frog landed on the ground beside me and puckered his lips. "Wait a minute!" I said, drawing back. The frog look distressed. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?" "No, no, it's just that, well, here." Fumbling in the small pouch attached to the waist of my gown, I found an embroidered handkerchief. I reached out and gently patted the frog's mouth clean. "You had dried fly feet stuck to your lips," I said, shuddering. "All right, let's try again." This time the kiss went without a hitch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

After reluctantly kissing a frog, an awkward, fourteen-year-old princess suddenly finds herself a frog, too, and sets off with the prince to seek the means--and the self-confidence--to become human again.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,073,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible