The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog…

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by E. D. Baker

Member:EBurggraf
Title:The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess)
Authors:E. D. Baker
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fairy Tales, Princesses, Royalty, Series, Magic, Witches, Fantasy

The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker (2002)

English (44)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
Not a perfect book, but bewitching. (pun intended). I've decided I want something light and cozy, and I saw that my library has the latest in the series, so I checked them all out at once. This one is 3.5 stars of spun sugar, rounded down because the next one is written a bit more skillfully & gracefully. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Hm. Definitely cute and creative. The characters were none too rich, but there were enough of them to keep my interest (and none were cardboard). I was going to say I don't feel compelled to read more in the series, but I see that this is her lowest-rated book. So maybe I will, if I can find them. A pleasant hour or two. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Story seems to consist of a dumb frog prince getting the smart and good princess into trouble and her using the friends she meets on the way to get them out of it, again and again. The characters show little depth in their actions; their only flaws are the ones the author first tells us about, and then hits us over the head with constantly. I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone looking for a complex read or good world-building. This is strictly a fluff read for girls that crave formulaic fantasy. Ages 8 to 10. ( )
  zenobia158 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Emma is a clumsy awkward princess who does not want to marry the vain Prince Jorge. She sneaks away from the palace to avoid visiting with him an meets a talking frog who claims to have been Prince Eadric under a spell. He convinces Emma to kiss him to lift the spell but she too turns into a frog. Only the witch who cast the spell can set it right. They go in search of the witch but get caught by another witch who intends to use their body parts in a spell. They manage to escape with the help of the witch's captive bat and get to Emma's magic-practicing aunt to see if she can help. In the process, Emma realizes she has magic capabilities herself which lead to Emma and Eadric becoming their true selves. Fairly tame YA; at most Eadric is lecherous about getting more kisses from Emma.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Awesome book! For fairy tale fans this is a must read!!!! One of the best! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Ellie, Kimmy, Nate for their encouragment and support. I would also like to thank Victoria Wells Arms, Nancy Denton, and Rebecca Gardner for their comments and suggestions.
Even as a little girl, I had thought that the swamp was a magical place where new lives began and old ones ended, where enemies and heroes weren't always what one expected, and where anything could happen, even to a clumsy princess.
Eadric reached out to tuck a loose curl behind my ear. "Fine. Just promise you'll never turn me into some loathsome creature if we happen do disagree." "I promise I won't turn you into anything you don't deserve."

I knelt on the ground at the edge of the pond. With a mighty leap, the frog landed on the ground beside me and puckered his lips. "Wait a minute!" I said, drawing back. The frog look distressed. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?" "No, no, it's just that, well, here." Fumbling in the small pouch attached to the waist of my gown, I found an embroidered handkerchief. I reached out and gently patted the frog's mouth clean. "You had dried fly feet stuck to your lips," I said, shuddering. "All right, let's try again." This time the kiss went without a hitch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

After reluctantly kissing a frog, an awkward, fourteen-year-old princess suddenly finds herself a frog, too, and sets off with the prince to seek the means--and the self-confidence--to become human again.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,720,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible