The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog…

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by E. D. Baker

Member:EBurggraf
Title:The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess)
Authors:E. D. Baker
Info:
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fairy Tales, Princesses, Royalty, Series, Magic, Witches, Fantasy

The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker (2002)

Recently added byLisaSeddon, AmphipodGirl, SWoo, mcvillelibrary, private library, lrdorsey, leydenk, terralech

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
This book was absolutely hysterical! I loved reading about Eadric, he was by far my favorite through the entire series! There was nothing inappropriate in this book and I think it would make a great family read aloud! ( )
  RayleighAnn | Jul 2, 2014 |
About: Emma is just a normal princess trying to get away from the prince her mother wants her to marry. She leaves one day and meets a frog who claims to be a prince. He says that if she kisses him he'll become a prince again. When she finally does kiss him, the unexpected happens....Emma turns into a frog.
Review: It's a cute retelling of the story "The princess and the frog" and in my opinion much better than the movie. It's a fun short read, full of adventure, romance and comedy.
The bad: The only thing that bothered me about this story was Emma's age. It never says how old Eadric ( aka the frog prince) is but Emma is 14. She's 14 and her mother is already planning her wedding for that summer! I know people married young then, but 14.......I don't know what to say. And the scenes whenever Eadric is always wanting a kiss......well she is just 14.
All in all, really this is an awesome little story. Will Emma turn back into a human? Will Eadric become a human again? What is the life of a frog even like? Read "The Frog Princess" to find out. ( )
  adventures2 | Jun 26, 2014 |
Princess Emeralda (Emma) runs away to the swamp so she doesn't have to talk to boring prince Jorge, and comes across a frog who claims to be prince Eadric. He claims he can be changed back into a human if she kisses him, but instead, she gets turned into a frog, too. Life as a frog is too scary for Emma, so the two frogs set off together to try to get changed back.

There were some good ideas here, though I thought the execution could have been better. The frog kept asking for kisses for no discernible reason which I found annoying, and Emma didn't seem that attracted to the frog, despite author's attempts to link them romantically.

3 stars? ( )
  humouress | Apr 21, 2014 |
The Frog Princess by E.D Baker is a humorous reworking of Grimms' "The Frog Prince"; it is also the inspiration for The Princess and the Frog released by the Walt Disney Company.

Princess Emeralda (aka Emma) has no interest in marrying Prince Jorge in an arranged marriage. She would rather spend time mapping and exploring the swamp behind the castle. It's there that she meets a talking frog who listens to her problems. Eventually she gives in to his request to kiss him — knowing full well that some local witches use animal transformations as a means of removing annoying people from their lives. The usual solution is a kiss from a princess.

Now anyone who has watched The Princess and Frog knows that the kiss backfires. The reason given in the film is that the main character isn't a princess. The explanation in the book is fuzzier — whatever witch did the spell didn't follow the standard playbook.

Rather than have two competing sources of magic — Mama Otis for good magic and the Shadow Man for evil magic — there is instead, any number of witches working magic in and near the swamp. These witches don't align themselves as neatly as they do in Disney films, meaning that finding witch and the proper solution to her spell isn't as cut and dry.

Again, fans of the film will recognize a similar path of exploration through the castle swamp as through the bayou. The reasons, though, are completely different and there's no artificially imposed timeline. On the one hand, Emma and Eadric have more chances to make mistakes and take wrong turns. On the other hand, sometimes these scenes feel like padding.

That said, the complicated plot threads as well as a world of problems that extends beyond the initial trouble of an arranged marriage and being turned into a frog, gives Emma and Eadric more things to explore at the end of the book without the tidy Disney magical ending.

The second book in the series is Dragon's Breath and it is on my to be read list. There are eight books in total. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 4, 2013 |
if you think about it.. its actually kind of a stupid book but in a good way ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Ellie, Kimmy, Nate for their encouragment and support. I would also like to thank Victoria Wells Arms, Nancy Denton, and Rebecca Gardner for their comments and suggestions.
Even as a little girl, I had thought that the swamp was a magical place where new lives began and old ones ended, where enemies and heroes weren't always what one expected, and where anything could happen, even to a clumsy princess.
Eadric reached out to tuck a loose curl behind my ear. "Fine. Just promise you'll never turn me into some loathsome creature if we happen do disagree." "I promise I won't turn you into anything you don't deserve."

I knelt on the ground at the edge of the pond. With a mighty leap, the frog landed on the ground beside me and puckered his lips. "Wait a minute!" I said, drawing back. The frog look distressed. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?" "No, no, it's just that, well, here." Fumbling in the small pouch attached to the waist of my gown, I found an embroidered handkerchief. I reached out and gently patted the frog's mouth clean. "You had dried fly feet stuck to your lips," I said, shuddering. "All right, let's try again." This time the kiss went without a hitch.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:55 -0400)

After reluctantly kissing a frog, an awkward, fourteen-year-old princess suddenly finds herself a frog, too, and sets off with the prince to seek the means--and the self-confidence--to become human again.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,351,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible