The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog…

The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by E. D. Baker

Title:The Frog Princess (Tales of the Frog Princess)
Authors:E. D. Baker
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Tags:Fairy Tales, Princesses, Royalty, Series, Magic, Witches, Fantasy

The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker (2002)

English (41)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
I actually really liked this book, as it was a re-telling of The Frog Prince but in a different way. The things I liked about this book were that the characters were really believable, the plot is well organized and the writing makes the story engaging, even though it is a re-telling. The first reason I liked this book was the fact that the author made the characters really believable. One of the ways she does this is even though the book is following a princess and a prince; they have experiences and thoughts that everyone else at that age has, which allows the reader to actually place themselves in their shoes. Another reason I liked this book was that the plot was really well organized. A clear example of this was that the adventure never stops, even when they are turned back into humans; this created a story that you never wanted to end. The final reason I really liked this book was that the author wrote her story in a way that made it entertaining. She did this particularly by making sure to change the story, like adding witches and different animals, to the main story of the princess and the frog. This created a different story than what kids have already read. The main message of this story is to take chances and do not give up on yourself. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Oct 24, 2015 |
Hm. Definitely cute and creative. The characters were none too rich, but there were enough of them to keep my interest (and none were cardboard). I was going to say I don't feel compelled to read more in the series, but I see that this is her lowest-rated book. So maybe I will, if I can find them. A pleasant hour or two. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It was adorable. I quite enjoyed reading about Emeralda's and Eadin's adventures in trying to be human again. The romance was well played for the age level it was intended for. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
This book was absolutely hysterical! I loved reading about Eadric, he was by far my favorite through the entire series! There was nothing inappropriate in this book and I think it would make a great family read aloud! ( )
  RayleighAnn | Jul 2, 2014 |
About: Emma is just a normal princess trying to get away from the prince her mother wants her to marry. She leaves one day and meets a frog who claims to be a prince. He says that if she kisses him he'll become a prince again. When she finally does kiss him, the unexpected happens....Emma turns into a frog.
Review: It's a cute retelling of the story "The princess and the frog" and in my opinion much better than the movie. It's a fun short read, full of adventure, romance and comedy.
The bad: The only thing that bothered me about this story was Emma's age. It never says how old Eadric ( aka the frog prince) is but Emma is 14. She's 14 and her mother is already planning her wedding for that summer! I know people married young then, but 14.......I don't know what to say. And the scenes whenever Eadric is always wanting a kiss......well she is just 14.
All in all, really this is an awesome little story. Will Emma turn back into a human? Will Eadric become a human again? What is the life of a frog even like? Read "The Frog Princess" to find out. ( )
  adventures2 | Jun 26, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Ellie, Kimmy, Nate for their encouragment and support. I would also like to thank Victoria Wells Arms, Nancy Denton, and Rebecca Gardner for their comments and suggestions.
Even as a little girl, I had thought that the swamp was a magical place where new lives began and old ones ended, where enemies and heroes weren't always what one expected, and where anything could happen, even to a clumsy princess.
Eadric reached out to tuck a loose curl behind my ear. "Fine. Just promise you'll never turn me into some loathsome creature if we happen do disagree." "I promise I won't turn you into anything you don't deserve."

I knelt on the ground at the edge of the pond. With a mighty leap, the frog landed on the ground beside me and puckered his lips. "Wait a minute!" I said, drawing back. The frog look distressed. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?" "No, no, it's just that, well, here." Fumbling in the small pouch attached to the waist of my gown, I found an embroidered handkerchief. I reached out and gently patted the frog's mouth clean. "You had dried fly feet stuck to your lips," I said, shuddering. "All right, let's try again." This time the kiss went without a hitch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

After reluctantly kissing a frog, an awkward, fourteen-year-old princess suddenly finds herself a frog, too, and sets off with the prince to seek the means--and the self-confidence--to become human again.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible