The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

This is a delightful description of Chester Raccoon and his anxiety regarding going to school and leaving his mother. Intelligent and intuitive, Chester's mother plants a kiss on his hand to indicate that wherever he goes, she goes with him. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jul 23, 2016 |
Keywords- Love, bonding, reassurance

Skills/Strategies- Making Connections

This book is a sweet story that students are able to connect to and be able to relate to when they start to go to school and have a hard time leaving their parents. ( )
  kschindler | Jul 21, 2016 |
Chester Raccoon is crying on the second page which is all too familiar to any parent who has to drop their child off to daycare or some other place. But Chester's mom gives him a very special tool in order or him not to be sad at school; The Kissing Hand! When I read it, I could really feel a jolt of love go from my hand to my heart. I remembered times in my childhood when I could have used The Kissing Hand and will share it with my daughter as soon as she is old enough. Some of the pictures are very detailed and look like paintings that took hours while others are more simple and to the point. I love that there are stickers included with the book and that the reader leaves feeling that Chester is happy, loved, and reassured by his mama. ( )
  ChelseaFinnerty | Jul 11, 2016 |
This is a great book with beautiful illustrations. Chester is leaving his mother for the first time to go to school and nervous about his new adventure. As his mother reassures him she tells him of a very old secret she has. The secret passed from generations is a kiss she places in his left palm. That whenever his feel lonely all he has to do is press his hand to his cheek and think Mommy loves you. With his kissing hand Chester went to school knowing he took his moms love wherever he might go.
As a parent I want to be like Chesters mom. That anytime my children are leaving me that they don't fell nervous and that they always know that I love them. I also always want to encourage my kids that school is a fun place where they learn so many things.
On the first day of school most children can relate to Chester's story. Pointing out that everyone is nervous about the first day of school that they are not alone. That their parents love goes with them no matter where they are at.
The class can also discuss racoons and that in the story that Chester is going to school at night.
  LoriES12 | Jul 10, 2016 |
In the book The Kissing Hand, we explore the fears of the first day of school. Chester the raccoon does not want to leave his mother or his toys. His mother lets him in on a secret passed down through their family. The mother kisses the little raccoon's hand and closes it tightly. She then lets him know to press his hand to his face every time he feels scared or worried. The little raccoon learned that his mother's love would go with him everywhere and this puts him at ease to go to the first night of school.
At the end of the book the little raccoon feels secure enough to go out on his own he even gives his mother a kiss on the hand and tells her the same story to make her feel better.
This story is a great way to make children feel at ease on the first day of school and feel a little more connected to their parents/guardians wherever they go.
In the classroom this would be a great story to read on the first day of school and allow the children to create their own kissing hand to hang up where they can see. Every time they see it they might feel a little more excited about school and the new experiences they are having instead of worrying about being afraid.
This would also be a great book for the discussion about raccoons and other nocturnal animals. In the book it mentions the raccoon goes to school at night. This would be a wonderful way to spark some questions as to why they are going to school at night and we go to school during the day. ( )
  sb938957 | Jul 2, 2016 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Penn, Audreymain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,420,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible