The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

4,1832001,196 (4.31)9
Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

School is starting in the forest, but Chester Raccoon does not want to go. To help ease Chester's fears, Mrs. Raccoon shares a family secret called the Kissing Hand to give him the reassurance of her love any time his world feels a little scary. Since its first publication in 1993, this heartwarming book has become a children's classic that has touched the lives of millions of children and their parents, especially at times of separation, whether starting school, entering daycare, or going to camp. It is widely used by kindergarten teachers on the first day of school. Stickers at the back will help children and their parents keep their Kissing Hand alive.
  CassityE | Mar 20, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book for two main reasons. I really liked the characters and the illustrations. I liked this book because even though the characters were raccoons they were still portrayed as something humans can relate too. I thought this was interesting because it would probably have an impact on young readers to see that they are not alone. The young raccoon, Chester, is scared of going to school because he does not want to leave his mom and he is scared, and a lot of young school children have the same fear at first. I think this book would be good to read at the beginning of the school year so that the students can relate to it. I also liked the book because of the illustrations. The illustrations enhanced the story and went along with the text very well. My favorite illustration is when the mom raccoon kisses Chester’s palm, it shows hearts coming off of his palm. This lets the reader know how important and real the kiss is from his mom. Also, it shows the reader that the kiss has a true meaning. I thought that this illustration really enhanced the text in many ways. I think that the main message of this story is that sometimes we just need a little reassurance that everything is going to be okay. Once Chester got this from his mom he felt safe and was ready to go to school. Having reassurance is not a bad thing, it just makes us feel more comfortable and I think that is important.
  chunt8 | Mar 7, 2017 |
I remember reading The Kissing Hand with my mother when I was younger and enjoyed it just as much reading it as an adult! There are definitely quite a few reasons why I think that this book is an excellent choice for young children with one of them being the illustrations that went along with the story. Because children know that raccoons are animals and can not really play with toys or go to school, the visualization by the illustrator gave context to the story. For example, when mother raccoon told Chester, “You’ll…read new books and swing on new swings…” (p.6), the illustrator depicted the baby raccoon in a tree reading a book and sitting on a swing with a skunk “friend”. These are things that children do, creating a substantial relationship between that child who is reading the book and the baby raccoon.
Another reason why I think that this book is excellent is because of the figurative language that the author used in this book. In order to get across her message to children, she used figurative language to describe not only “the kissing hand”, but also the way that the raccoons looked. “Chester felt his mother’s kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart. Even his silky, black mask tingled with a special warmth,” (p. 9). Although Chester is not really wearing a mask, the reader can tell the way that his face is colored and the texture of his fur. This was a very effective way to introduce the physical presence of the animals.
I believe that the main message the Penn was attempting to get across to her audience in part was that it can be very hard and scary for children to go into new situations and parents to leave them in them. The other half of the message is that even though we may be separated from someone that we love, that doesn’t mean that the love and warmth of affection is gone. It remains in the knowledge that you are loved by that particular person and will see each other again. ( )
  CourtneyClutts | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is a book about a young raccoon first going off to school. He does not want to leave home so his mom sits him down and tells him a secret that will help him get through school and allow him to love it. She kisses his hand and he feels all warm and his fur tingles. Throughout the day he feels the love his mom has given him. I read this book with one of my students at work and had to buy it for my youngest son who was very shy and got terribly homesick while he spent the night at anyone's house. We would read the book every time before he would go away to spend the night. One day when he was a teenager and was going on a church retreat he brought me the book and read it to me and then asked for the kiss on the hand. He told me it really made a difference when he would go away that when he felt nervous or missing us he would look at his hand and remember that we loved him.
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
This is the story of a young raccoon and his anxiety about his first day of school. His mother kisses his hand and assures him that she will always be with him and he can always use his kiss when he thinks of his mother. This book is notable because it addresses first day anxieties that younger students may be facing. It provides them with a sense of security and shows them they are not alone in the way that they are feeling. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | Feb 21, 2017 |

Penn, Audreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Chester Raccoon doesn't want to go to school--he wants to stay home with his mother. She assures him that he'll love school--with its promise of new friends, new toys, and new books. Even better, she has a special secret that's been in the family for years--the Kissing Hand. This secret, she tells him, will make school seem as cozy as home. She takes her son's hand, spreads his tiny fingers into a fan and kisses his palm--smack dab in the middle: "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart." Whenever he feels lonely at school, all he has to do is press his hand to his cheek to feel the warmth of his mother's kiss. Chester is so pleased with his Kissing Hand that he--in a genuinely touching moment--gives his mom a Kissing Hand, too, to comfort her when he is away. Audrey Penn's The Kissing Hand, published by the Child Welfare League of America, is just the right book for any child taking that fledgling plunge into preschool--or for any youngster who is temporarily separated from home or loved ones. The rough but endearing raccoon illustrations are as satisfying and soothing for anxious children as the simple story. (Ages 5 and older)

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,292,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible