The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

The Kissing Hand Is both a sweet and wonderful children’s picture book. The book is filled with warm images and has a bright narrative. The book centers around a young raccoon named Chester and his raccoon mother. Chester is nervous at the idea of first going to school, and chester’s mother offers him a form of comfort to help him with his nervousness. Chesters Mother Kisses his hand and tells him that her love will go with Chester wherever he is. This brings Chester great comfort and Joy, and before going to school Chester kisses his mother’s hand, telling her that now his love will be with her as well. As for a central theme or message I would say this book depicts the comfort that a mother’s love brings to any situation. A mother's love is so strong and can overcome so much, and I think this book is a reminder and display of that. Chester is nervous towards school but his mother gives him a reminder of her love for him, and this brings Chester both strength and comfort. Another theme that could be seen in this book is the strength and comfort that love just naturally brings us. Overall I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It has a really warm narrative and great images that really envelop you with a sense of happiness. I would imagine that this would be a wonderful bedtime story. This book could also be used situationally to comfort children before their first day of school. Overall I really enjoyed this picture book and would highly recommend it to anyone. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Oct 4, 2016 |
This book shares a warm message about how you can take love with you anywhere you go. I like the style of this book because it is poetic. The written expression within the text allows you to hear your mom saying those things to you, and allows you to relate to the book. I like that the author thought about the audience (children) When writing this book so that it is easy to understand. The words in this book are smaller so they are easier to decode. ( )
  AnsleighMcKenzie | Sep 30, 2016 |
Chester is very scared to go to school and leave his mom. Chesters mom reassures him that he will be ok without her, and kisses the inside of his hand. She tells him that this is his kissing hand and every time Chester feels scared or sad, to press his hand to his cheek and remember that his momma loves him. All day at school, Chester presses his hand to his cheek and knows that his mom loves him and that he will be ok without her because he will always have her love. The next day, Chester has to leave his mom, and kisses her hand to remind her that even when he's gone, Chester loves his mom too.

This book it so sweet and warms the heart. We all know what it is like to miss a loved one and be alone, but remembering who loves us can get us through the day and serve as motivation. For all children who have loved ones, this is a great inspirational book to become independent.

1) The award the book received:
- New York Times number one best seller
- Distinguished Achievement Award

2) An original description of the award:
- For Excellence in Educational Journalism

3) The book citation (APA format):
Penn, A., Harper, R. E., & Leak, N. M. (1993). The Kissing Hand. Washington, D.C.: Child Welfare League of America. ( )
  Megan_Ross | Sep 29, 2016 |
The Kissing Hand is a picture book that I vividly remember reading when I was a child. I love the memories I have attached to this book. I love how the story eases a young child's fears and helps them feel more comfortable.
  kerrihopethomas | Sep 27, 2016 |
This book is a great book to read during the first week of school. It is a sweet story about Chester not wanting to go to school, but his mother giving him something to make it easier. I loved it and thought it was such a sweet story. I would definitely recommend using this book during the first week of school for the younger students, since they for the most part have a hard time leaving their parents and staying at school.
  MacyMoonshower | Sep 26, 2016 |

Penn, Audreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Chester Raccoon doesn't want to go to school--he wants to stay home with his mother. She assures him that he'll love school--with its promise of new friends, new toys, and new books. Even better, she has a special secret that's been in the family for years--the Kissing Hand. This secret, she tells him, will make school seem as cozy as home. She takes her son's hand, spreads his tiny fingers into a fan and kisses his palm--smack dab in the middle: "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart." Whenever he feels lonely at school, all he has to do is press his hand to his cheek to feel the warmth of his mother's kiss. Chester is so pleased with his Kissing Hand that he--in a genuinely touching moment--gives his mom a Kissing Hand, too, to comfort her when he is away. Audrey Penn's The Kissing Hand, published by the Child Welfare League of America, is just the right book for any child taking that fledgling plunge into preschool--or for any youngster who is temporarily separated from home or loved ones. The rough but endearing raccoon illustrations are as satisfying and soothing for anxious children as the simple story. (Ages 5 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,700,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible