The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

"The Kissing Hand" is a book about the influence of a relationship between a child and their mother. In the introduction right before the book starts it states that "this is a book for any child who loves to be loved". Chester is a little raccoon getting ready for his first day of school but he is reluctant to leave his mother. His mother asks to see his hand and plants a kiss in his palm saying that this would remind him that he is loved. This kiss helps calm Chester as he goes to school. He returns to the favor for his mother while he is gone at school so she doesn't miss him while he's gone. This was one of my favorite books when I was younger and is still one of my favorite to this day because of how it illustrates the affection and love that can come from one kiss and how powerful it can be.
  Rachel_Feldberg | Nov 28, 2015 |
This book was introduced to me by my daughter's teacher. She loved it so much that we just had to have a copy. This story is about a little raccoon that is nervous about his first day of school. His mother helpshim feel better by telling him the story of the kissing hand. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 28, 2015 |
This book was a favourite of my children's and I am sure it will be a favourite of my grandchildren's. It brings tears to my eyes when I read it. Chester racc0on is going to start school and he does not want to leave his mother. Even though she explains about the fun he will have and the new friends he will make, he is still sad. Mother Raccoon kisses the palm of his hand and tells him whenever he needs to feel her love to press his palm to his face. He then does the same for his mother. A book for every child that is beginning school or a new adventure. I could re-read this book everyday and not get tired of it. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Nov 28, 2015 |
This book is an awesome book to read on the night before a child's first day of school. It can also be used on the first day of school in the classroom as a whole group activity. I cant wait to read it to my own children! ( )
  ml925 | Nov 16, 2015 |
This is a wonderful book for children with the first day of school jitters, as well as for their parents. It is about a baby raccoon that is scared for his first day of school. To help ease his fear, his mother shares a family secret with him called the Kissing Hand. The kissing Hand reassures the baby raccoon that he has his mothers love at any time when he feels scared.
This book is a great read for a teacher to read to the class on the first day of kindergarten. Parents can also read this book with their child before the first day of school, camp, or anytime your child needs comforting. ( )
  mlw539 | Nov 16, 2015 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible