The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

This book was about a mother raccoon and her young son. I picked it up because the moon on the front reminded me of the story "Goodnight Moon". The younger raccoon is starting school and is nervous, so the mother kisses his hand and said that now she'll always be with him no matter where he goes. It has such a nice concept to it and it's actually a smart idea for mother's if your child is nervous! The illustrations are very simple and repetitive, but the language is easy. There was also sign language at the end of the book that signed "I love you" which I thought was educational for children. This book was a pretty quick read, but I really enjoyed it. It was simple enough, but had a wonderful meaning behind it. It was a cute, short, heartfelt story. ( )
  lgrube4 | Sep 21, 2014 |
While reading this book I couldn't help but smile. The author did a great job of adding humanistic qualities to the animal characters throughout the book.The way that Mrs.Raccoon and Chester Raccoon displayed their love for one another was one that I can relate to with my own family members. I believe that the main idea of the story was to show that love will follow you wherever you go in life. The idea the mother raccoon had of the kissing hand was to show Chester that her kiss will be with him throughout his day, even when they are apart, she will be with him. This sense of security gave Chester the strength to be able to go off to school without her. I found it heartwarming when Chester made his very own kissing hand for his mother in the end. This I believe was a great illustration of how we all need each other, and that it is never too much to show how much you love someone. I love the idea of the kissing hand so much that I hope to be able to use it one day with my future children. ( )
  kcrous3 | Sep 17, 2014 |
We read this in a first grade classroom. For most of the students this is the first time they are spending an entire day in school instead of half day Kindergarten. A lot of them really missed their family and this was a great book to teach them a technique that they could teach their parents that might help them cope throughout the day. ( )
  kelliaken | Sep 12, 2014 |
This is a cute story of a raccoon who is going to his first day (night) of school. He is a little nervous so his mom tells him a story about a kissing hand and she kisses the inside of his had so he can take it with him to school.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 9, 2014 |
This is a modern fantasy picture book for children from kindergarten to 1st grade. This is such a heart-warming book, and would be perfect for a child that was hesitant about their first day of school. I liked that not only was the mother able to comfort her baby raccoon for school, but the baby raccoon also found a way to comfort his mother in a special way, which I think would in a way empower a nervous child to be brave about their first day of school. I also love how there was an art craft included in the story, which extends the story a bit farther and encourages the child to get more involved! The central message of the story is that your mother’s love follows you wherever you go. ( )
  BeckieZimmerman | May 10, 2014 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible