The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

3,012None1,907 (4.22)4
Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

I absolutely love this book. I found it on my family book shelf with a note inside that was addressed to my brother, John. It was form his four therapists when he was leaving them and going to his first year of preschool. I loved the book for three reasons. The first was the plot of the story, and how it relates to almost every child that is going to be away from their parents for the first time. The mother raccoon in the story helps her baby, Chester face his fears of school by kissing his hand and saying he can carry it where ever he goes. It is very well developed, and children can follow along and understand exactly what little Chester Raccoon felt when he had to go to school for the first time. The second reason I liked the book was because of its illustrations. They are very cute, especially the one where you can see Chester’s tears in his eyes, and where Chester’s mother kisses his hand. The final reason I liked the book was its ability to be used by both teachers and parents with first yeas students. As a teacher I could read this on the first day of class to assure children to feel safe and be confident. The big idea of this book would definitely be to let children know that their parent or guardian’s love is with them where ever they go. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 30, 2014 |
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. Illustrations by Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak. Published by Scholastic INC. Copy right 1993. pg.27

Type of Book: Picture Book

Summary: Chester Raccoon was just starting school and he did not want to leave his mother. He wanted to stay at home and play with his toys and read his books. His mother told him he could do all those things at school. She told him that there was a secret called "The Kissing Hand." He was so excited to know what the secret was. She kissed the palm of his hand right in the center and told him that all he had to do was hold his hand up to his cheek and his mothers love would flood his body with warmth. When Chester went off to school he grabbed his mother's hand and kissed her palm in the center and said that now she had a kissing hand too. They he ran on to school because he knew he had his mother's love with him.

Response: I absolutely love this book. It is a great children's book. My mother used to read it to me when I was a child and it was one of my favorites. When I was little she would kiss my hand the way Chester's mother kissed his. It made me feel safe. I remember in Kindergarten the teacher read us this book too and she had a raccoon stuffed animal that she would act things out with while reading the book. It is a very good and easily read book.
  singleton2012 | Mar 4, 2014 |
This is a story about a young raccoon that doesn’t want to leave his mom to go off to school. The mom gives him a little something to take with him to school that will “make his nights at school seem as warm and cozy as his days at home.” She opens his hand and in his palm she plants a kiss. She then wraps his fingers around it and tells him that whenever he is feeling lonely to just open his hand and place the kiss on his cheek and he will know that she is right there with him. The young raccoon runs off to school feeling better about the situation. After several days at school and much more confident the little raccoon notices his mother looking a little sad on his departure so he gives her a special kiss to hang on to while he is away.

Personal Reaction: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this story. This is such a sweet story of a mom sending her child off to school that is a little reluctant to go and then misses him while he is there. Having done this myself several times I can understand the struggle of the mom wanted her son to feel confident in going off to school. I love this story and it reminds me of “I’ll love you forever” by Robert Munsch. This is a great story to read to your child often and perhaps even a great new family tradition to start. I think I will be buying this one and start a new tradition when I have grandchildren.

Classroom Extension:
1. A great story to teach children that sometimes you have to find things to give you confidence. Many children will relate to this story having carried a favorite blanket or toy around as a young child.
2. Discuss other ways that you could help someone through a difficult time such as making cards to leave around in different places for them to find or other things that might make them feel a little better about being in a new and unfamiliar place. ( )
  msmarymac | Feb 21, 2014 |
Summary:
The Kissing Hand features a son raccoon and his mother. Chester Raccoon is scared about his first day of school and be separated from his mom. The story is based on ways love works to make us feel safe and give us strength in a scary situation like starting school for the first time.

Personal Reaction:
I learned there is nothing more powerful than love. And if you are scared or nervous, your mom's warmth and kiss will fill her heart with the 3 special words I Love You and every fear will go away.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, I would read it to my students on the first day of school, letting them know everything is okay for you are not alone.
2. In addition, learning sign language about love and how their parents love them and when its time to go home they can tell their parents all about their first day of school. And making the first day of school fun and exciting to learn new things. ( )
  memre | Feb 12, 2014 |
Summary:
This is a book about Chester the raccoon who is starting school. Chester does not want to leave his mom to attend school. Mrs. Raccoon tells Chester of all of the fun he will have at school but he is scared. Mrs. Raccoon tells Chester a secret "kissing hand" that will get him though the day. It goes through the day of Chester and he ends up giving his mom a "kissing hand" since she will miss him while he is gone.

Personal Reaction:
This is one of my personal favorites. Having children myself I know how hard it can be to let your child go, even as they get older. This is a great book for the classroom to read and or send home with the little preschoolers that come in scared that first day.

Extension Ideas:
1. This could go with a teaching feelings. Make pictures of different emotions that Chester feels throughout the story. As you read the story let the children show the face of how Chester is feeling at that moment. http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/literature_guides/kissinghand.html
  TARA5X | Feb 4, 2014 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible