The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

This book shares a warm message about how you can take love with you anywhere you go. I like the style of this book because it is poetic. The written expression within the text allows you to hear your mom saying those things to you, and allows you to relate to the book. I like that the author thought about the audience (children) When writing this book so that it is easy to understand. The words in this book are smaller so they are easier to decode. ( )
  AnsleighMcKenzie | Sep 30, 2016 |
Chester is very scared to go to school and leave his mom. Chesters mom reassures him that he will be ok without her, and kisses the inside of his hand. She tells him that this is his kissing hand and every time Chester feels scared or sad, to press his hand to his cheek and remember that his momma loves him. All day at school, Chester presses his hand to his cheek and knows that his mom loves him and that he will be ok without her because he will always have her love. The next day, Chester has to leave his mom, and kisses her hand to remind her that even when he's gone, Chester loves his mom too.

This book it so sweet and warms the heart. We all know what it is like to miss a loved one and be alone, but remembering who loves us can get us through the day and serve as motivation. For all children who have loved ones, this is a great inspirational book to become independent.

1) The award the book received:
- New York Times number one best seller
- Distinguished Achievement Award

2) An original description of the award:
- For Excellence in Educational Journalism

3) The book citation (APA format):
Penn, A., Harper, R. E., & Leak, N. M. (1993). The Kissing Hand. Washington, D.C.: Child Welfare League of America. ( )
  Megan_Ross | Sep 29, 2016 |
The Kissing Hand is a picture book that I vividly remember reading when I was a child. I love the memories I have attached to this book. I love how the story eases a young child's fears and helps them feel more comfortable.
  kerrihopethomas | Sep 27, 2016 |
This book is a great book to read during the first week of school. It is a sweet story about Chester not wanting to go to school, but his mother giving him something to make it easier. I loved it and thought it was such a sweet story. I would definitely recommend using this book during the first week of school for the younger students, since they for the most part have a hard time leaving their parents and staying at school.
  MacyMoonshower | Sep 26, 2016 |
The Kissing Hand is a great book for students who are first starting kindergarten and will have to leave home for long periods of time without their family. The message this book sends to children is a positive one. It lets children know that the love between them and their family does not go away even though they are not in their presence. It also lets children know that school is a safe and comfortable place to learn.

"You'll make new friends and play with new toys and read new books and swing on new swings." This quote lets children know they can be safe without their mother. They can go off and try new things to start the next chapter of their life. ( )
  mwatki5 | Sep 22, 2016 |

Penn, Audreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,266,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible