The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

The kissing hand is an example of a piece of literature with a stereotypical mother figure. Young Chester the raccoon is very nervous for school to start. Very gently Chester's mother tells him of the friends he will make and the fun he will have. She then takes his hand and kisses it explaining the story behind the kissing hand. He was not nervous to go to school, and before school he gave his mother a kiss on the kissing hand. The mother in this story shows the typical characteristics of a mother. Encouraging, wise, and loving can all describe Chester Raccoon's mother. The illustrations in this book are drawn and the colors are very rich. This book could be used in the first weeks of school. Many students may need a way to cope with leaving their parents. You could also recommend a this book to a student, who is having a hard time adjusting s, parents. ( )
  JTansom | Oct 11, 2015 |
I enjoyed the picture book, The Kissing Hand, for many reasons. The first reason that I enjoyed this book was because of the illustrations. The illustrations seemed realistic and incorporated vivid colors which in turn enhanced the overall concept of the story. I also liked this story for the messaged that it seemed to convey. Chester was afraid to go to school because he wasn’t going to be able to play with his friends, play with his toys, or swing on his swing. But his mother reassured him that school would be a place that he would soon grow to love and enjoy. “You’ll make new friends and play with new toys. And read new books and swing on new swings.” Chester’s mother then introduced him to a “secret” that her mother taught her, the kissing hand. The purpose of the kissing hand was to allow Chester to feel the warmth and love from his mother whenever he was feeling down or lonely. I also liked the book for the soft tone was that given. Chester’s mom told him gently, “Sometimes we have to do things that we don’t want to do.” I liked the characters of the book as well. Chester and his mom seemed well developed and I loved their relationship throughout. The language is easy for children to comprehend and the writing flows perfectly.
  sbanke1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
Similarly to many of the other books on my first LibraryThings list, The Kissing Hand is a great book for young readers who are starting school. The illustrations are wonderfully done and add to the appeal of the book. The colors and vivid detail make the drawings seem very realistic. The incorporation of animals and nature add to the moral of the story. When the mother raccoon says “Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to. Even if they seem strange and weird,” it is very relatable to many readers. The language the author uses is very simple and understandable for its young audience but it is also very meaningful. I also enjoy this book because it reminds me of my own childhood. My mother used to do a similar thing where she would kiss me behind my ear and remind me that it is always there for me when I needed it to be. I think that just as this book was relatable to me, it will be very relatable to many of its readers. It is a comforting read that will provide parents and children with a lovable reading experience. ( )
  mcicch2 | Oct 5, 2015 |
I really loved the book "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn for many reasons. I think what appealed to me the most is that the main idea of the story is that a mother loves her child, and will always be there. The point of view is another reason I liked the book because it comes from both the mom raccoon and from Chester. The plot is organized, Chester is afraid to go to school, so then his mother gives him a kiss on his hand and calls it the kissing hand. Then Chester is able to feel calm and loved as he looks down at his hand. He also gives his mother a kissing hand, and she feels loved and comforted by her son. The illustrations are colorful and connected to the text and add description to the story. The main idea of the book is relatable to a lot of children because it is about separation anxiety and a mother's love for her child to ease the child's worries. ( )
  kaylastoots | Oct 4, 2015 |
Chester does not was to go to school for the first time. His mom makes him feel better by teaching him about the kissing hand. theme: first day of school, fear, mother and son ( )
  tkehoe | Sep 29, 2015 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,801,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible