The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The Kissing Hand (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Audrey Penn, Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)

Member:callie.peat
Title:The Kissing Hand
Authors:Audrey Penn
Other authors:Ruth E. Harper (Illustrator), Nancy M. Leak (Illustrator)
Info:Tanglewood Press (2007), Edition: Book & CD, Paperback, 24 pages
Tags:BL 2.7

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (1993)

• Summary of content/review: This book centers on the characters of a mother and baby raccoon, and the comforting of her baby about going to school. She kisses the little raccoon’s paw and tells him to hold his hand to his cheek whenever he misses her.
• Evaluation: This book’s characterization is key in its’ development. The connection between mother and child is highlighted and the main spotlight of the reader’s attention.
• Target audience: PK-4th grade
• Connection to classroom: This book could be used as a model text in which characterization is highlighted. This book can also be used in the beginning of the school year to aid children’s separation anxiety from their parents/loved ones.

Genre: fiction, picturebook, relationships
Standards: RL.4.3 Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story 3. or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’ s thoughts, words, or actions).
  Nall0705 | Oct 31, 2014 |
From re-reading this book, the first lesson I thought of that this book could teach students would be about first day jitters. On the first day of school, teachers do not know much about their students other than their academic performance from previous years. Reading this book on the first day of class will alleviate a lot of stress that I’m sure most of the students will be experiencing. It is always scary to start a new and higher grade level.
This book is a great reminder for students that their loved ones are always there for them when they need them. Even just the memory of loved ones. This story deals with separation anxiety that many students face on the first day of school or when they are brought to a new location. When Chester, the raccoon shows his mom that he can return the kissing hand gesture, children can learn that even adults need reassurance some days. This can help them alleviate even more stress or sadness they may be experiencing.
Once again, this book uses watercolor illustrations, my favorite. There are a lot of blues and yellows through out the book, keeping it vibrant and inviting for the readers. The illustrations can be used in the classroom when painting. Children can use the idea of the kissing hand to paint their own hands and come up with their own special meanings.
Finally, one of my favorite aspects about this book is the ASL sign for “I love you” on the final page of the story. This incorporates a language that should be used in the classroom for signs such as bathroom or water. The use of the ASL sign at the end of the book finalizes the moral of the story, love. ( )
  lfasce1 | Oct 21, 2014 |
This book was about a mother raccoon and her young son. I picked it up because the moon on the front reminded me of the story "Goodnight Moon". The younger raccoon is starting school and is nervous, so the mother kisses his hand and said that now she'll always be with him no matter where he goes. It has such a nice concept to it and it's actually a smart idea for mother's if your child is nervous! The illustrations are very simple and repetitive, but the language is easy. There was also sign language at the end of the book that signed "I love you" which I thought was educational for children. This book was a pretty quick read, but I really enjoyed it. It was simple enough, but had a wonderful meaning behind it. It was a cute, short, heartfelt story. ( )
  lgrube4 | Sep 21, 2014 |
While reading this book I couldn't help but smile. The author did a great job of adding humanistic qualities to the animal characters throughout the book.The way that Mrs.Raccoon and Chester Raccoon displayed their love for one another was one that I can relate to with my own family members. I believe that the main idea of the story was to show that love will follow you wherever you go in life. The idea the mother raccoon had of the kissing hand was to show Chester that her kiss will be with him throughout his day, even when they are apart, she will be with him. This sense of security gave Chester the strength to be able to go off to school without her. I found it heartwarming when Chester made his very own kissing hand for his mother in the end. This I believe was a great illustration of how we all need each other, and that it is never too much to show how much you love someone. I love the idea of the kissing hand so much that I hope to be able to use it one day with my future children. ( )
  kcrous3 | Sep 17, 2014 |
We read this in a first grade classroom. For most of the students this is the first time they are spending an entire day in school instead of half day Kindergarten. A lot of them really missed their family and this was a great book to teach them a technique that they could teach their parents that might help them cope throughout the day. ( )
  kelliaken | Sep 12, 2014 |

Audrey Pennprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harper, Ruth E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Leak, Nancy M.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To: Stefanie Rebecca Korn and children everywhere who love to be loved.
Chester Raccoon stood at the edge of the forest and cried.

Book

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

When Chester the raccoon is reluctant to go to kindergarten for the first time, his mother teaches him a secret way to carry her love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible