The Fictional Man by Al Ewing

The Fictional Man (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Al Ewing

Member:psutto
Title:The Fictional Man
Authors:Al Ewing
Info:Solaris (2013), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

The Fictional Man by Al Ewing (2013)

This is one of the few books I can recall where the main protagonist is such an ass, and half way through the book you realize he's not getting any better. Yet the story is so compelling that it carries you forward and that irritating protagonist is there representing a key part of the societal perception that helps the whole storyline evolve. This is good speculative SF that raises some interesting ideas on what it means to be perceived as real (if it means anything at all). ( )
  DaveCapp | Oct 22, 2014 |
Brilliant

I was enjoying this book at the beginning: it has a nice premise, that it is possible to translate fictional characters into flesh and blood people, and a nice writing style. About half way through though I realised I was hooked and when I had to put it down to go to work I couldn’t wait to get back to pick it up again. As it develops it gets more and more interesting even if some of the twists could perhaps anticipated. The utterly flawed main character keeps us involved with the plot and as it becomes ever more deliciously meta the writing becomes ever more impressive. There is a lot to like here, the narrator with all his flaws always holds your attention, his self-narration You're a good Joe, Niles. You really are a good Joe the whole fictional idea and its execution, the supporting characters - especially the fictionals, the story within the story and the other story within that story, the creepy horror of peg boy, the crazytown feel of Ewing’s alternative LA and Niles’s attempt at getting into film. Well before I run into giving it all away I’ll stop, except to say that you should read this and I hope I haven’t over-egged the review!

Overall – Highly recommended especially if you like metafiction and stories about the creative process ( )
1 vote psutto | Sep 17, 2013 |

Al Ewingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parr, PyeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ralph Cutner was fictional, but Niles didn’t hold that against him

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,376,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible