The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory

The King's Curse (2014)

by Philippa Gregory

Could not stop reading this book - it was like a persons fascination with a car crash. I have read a lot about the subject of Henry VIII and seen a lot of documentaries and dramas about him but this book really portrays him in a very raw and brutal way and it was just brilliant to see an author do this. There was little sympathy for him in Philippa's writing and I applaud her for it. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
I've got a lot of other things going on at the moment, so I ended up giving this book back to the library before I finished it. However, I wasn't super into this one. I don't know if I've just read to many historical novels covering this era, or if the main character just wasn't inspiring/interesting enough.

She's already covered so many of the other character's we see going on in this time period....

Also, do they need to go on and on about the curse thrown down by the lady of the rivers enough?

I do need to go back and finish this book to really give it a fair review, but I doubt my rating will change much.
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
a little long. interesting theory about henry and what was wrong with him. a different portrayal of cromwell than hilary mantel has. amazing in both portrayals that henry kept him for so long. ( )
  mahallett | Sep 7, 2015 |
Margaret Pole is heir to the Plantagenet line, a dangerous inheritance in Tudor England, for the Plantagenets are the true heirs to the throne. Henry VII was a paranoid king, and imprisoned or killed any Plantagenet heirs he could, in order to secure his throne. Because Margaret is married to the governor of Wales, she is safe, for a time, and becomes the guardian of Arthur, Prince of Wales. But when the prince dies, and his bride, Katherine of Aragon, sets her sights on marrying Arthur's brother Henry, Margaret chooses the wrong side of the issue and is shunned from court, casting her and her sons into poverty. As she works to regain the favor of the king, and to have her titles and fortunes restored to her, Katherine wins her bid to become the next Queen of England. And Margaret wins back her place at court, becoming a lady-in-waiting to the lovely Spanish queen, which also gives her a front-row seat to watch the queen's downfall for Henry VIII's new love, Anne Boleyn. Through four queens, we see the events unfold from Margaret's perspective, until she infuriates the wrong people one too many times. The King's Curse is another excellent book by Phillipa Gregory. She writes her stories so well, I feel like I am in the time with the characters. This was an interesting point of view for me; I liked that Margaret was connected to the court, but not there all the time. We get to see the court and all of its intrigue, but also get to see some of what goes on when the nobles are not at court. I also always appreciate that Gregory chooses women, and strong women, to narrate her tales; women definitely had a different role in the 1400-1500s, but there were some strong women then who need the spotlight. Those strong women often got in trouble, as we see in this novel, but their stories still need to be told. Rich details and the court life drew me in to this great story. ( )
  litgirl29 | Jul 14, 2015 |
In the moment of waking I am innocent, my conscience clear of any wrongdoing.
The king will not even receive letters from the City for fear of the disease. Cardinal Wolsey writes to him on special paper from Richmond Palace and is living there, ruling like a king himself.

The riveting story of Margaret Pole, daughter of George, Duke of Clarence, and was one of the few surviving members of the Plantagenet dynasty after the Wars of the Roses. Plantagenet, once carried proudly by Margaret like a crown upon her head, is now, at the end of the 15th century, the most dangerous name in England.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible