The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory

The King's Curse

by Philippa Gregory

Named as governess over King Arthur, Margaret Pole is heartbroken when he dies shortly after his marriage to Katherine of Aragon. When Katherine asks her to deny that her marriage was consummated, Margaret Pole is forced to choose alliances. Once Katherine has taken the throne, she is richly rewarded, and becomes her friend and trusted adviser. However, her fortunes wane as Katherine is unable to bear a living male heir.

This is yet another masterpiece from Philippa Gregory. It was hard to put down and I found myself reading long into the night. The ups and downs of Margaret Pole's life were fascinating. I also thought the relationships between her and her children were intriguing and interesting to read. Overall, a home run! ( )
  JanaRose1 | Sep 12, 2014 |
The final book in the cousin's war series brings the saga to an end. The narrator in this book is Margaret Pole who is duaghter of George Duke of Clarence and Isobel Neville.

I have to say that I knew very little of Margaret Pole and have come away from tne book still not knowing much about her. Her narrative tells the story of Henry VIII and his wives up until Margaret is herself executed. I wasn't really expecting this and felt quite disappointed. What the book does do however is bring all the series together with the what has been the King's curse.

What I did find interesting is that Margaret Pole lived at Stourton castle which unknown to me is not far from where I live. This I found quite interesting and didnt know that the castle was there and still is today although it is privately owned.

Like all Philippa Gregory's books I found this one overlong at times although very interesting historically. Out of all the books in the series my favourite has to be The White Queen. Overall the series has been good at times but also dragged in places.

In a way I am glad that the series is at an end so that perhaps PG can move on to something new. ( )
  tina1969 | Aug 31, 2014 |

The riveting story of Margaret Pole, daughter of George, Duke of Clarence, and was one of the few surviving members of the Plantagenet dynasty after the Wars of the Roses. Plantagenet, once carried proudly by Margaret like a crown upon her head, is now, at the end of the 15th century, the most dangerous name in England.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible