The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory

The King's Curse (2014)

by Philippa Gregory

I totally was not out to get sucked into another series or sail through them all in a very few short months. But this one grabbed me as something different. Yes, the history through a wife's eyes has been done and is growing in popularity, it's here to stay. That is how this series started out, but it's so much more, even from book one. It's the Tudors and Plantagnents. It's the Rivers. Its The Elizabeths you never heard of. And this one! It's a stand alone (but if you can take the time, read them all).

I've been fascinated with the king who divorced or beheaded 6 wives since I first heard of him as a young girl. (Please tell me you have been, too!) It took me a much longer time to understand the destruction of the Catholic Church in England. But this book, told from the POV of disregarded Margaret Pole, had me realizing a whole different facet. What Henry VIII did to his country, to his men, to his cousins, shows a whole other tyrant. A madman.

But what is more interesting to me is that people don't speak up. They think it will stop at each narcissistic act. Appease the monster and he'll leave us alone. But he doesn't, as is shown by history time and time and time again, and soon the narcissist turns into a tyrant, a fascist, a demigod whose tide swallows us whole, even on a whim.

I kept wondering how Gregory would write the (well documented historical) ending. Bravo to you! You wowed me and got it oh so right. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Could not stop reading this book - it was like a persons fascination with a car crash. I have read a lot about the subject of Henry VIII and seen a lot of documentaries and dramas about him but this book really portrays him in a very raw and brutal way and it was just brilliant to see an author do this. There was little sympathy for him in Philippa's writing and I applaud her for it. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
I've got a lot of other things going on at the moment, so I ended up giving this book back to the library before I finished it. However, I wasn't super into this one. I don't know if I've just read to many historical novels covering this era, or if the main character just wasn't inspiring/interesting enough.

She's already covered so many of the other character's we see going on in this time period....

Also, do they need to go on and on about the curse thrown down by the lady of the rivers enough?

I do need to go back and finish this book to really give it a fair review, but I doubt my rating will change much.
  Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
a little long. interesting theory about henry and what was wrong with him. a different portrayal of cromwell than hilary mantel has. amazing in both portrayals that henry kept him for so long. ( )
  mahallett | Sep 7, 2015 |
In the moment of waking I am innocent, my conscience clear of any wrongdoing.
The king will not even receive letters from the City for fear of the disease. Cardinal Wolsey writes to him on special paper from Richmond Palace and is living there, ruling like a king himself.

The riveting story of Margaret Pole, daughter of George, Duke of Clarence, and was one of the few surviving members of the Plantagenet dynasty after the Wars of the Roses. Plantagenet, once carried proudly by Margaret like a crown upon her head, is now, at the end of the 15th century, the most dangerous name in England.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,263,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible