The King's Curse (COUSINS' WAR) by Philippa…

The King's Curse (COUSINS' WAR) (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Philippa Gregory (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The King's Curse (COUSINS' WAR)
Authors:Philippa Gregory (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster UK (2015), Edition: UK ed., 624 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory (2014)

This one provided history (however fictionalized) that I hadn't read before. ( )
  NML_dc | Aug 17, 2019 |
I read this book slowly and in fits and starts but found Margaret Pole's life reimagined like this fascinating. Now I want to read more about her. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Aug 25, 2018 |
I rarely so slam a book but I invested 25+ hours listening to the audiobook and I am so disappointed. 99% of the story is told in dialogue recollecting events that took place or bemoaning fear of what is to come. In other words, 99% of no action. What's worse is the narrator is so overly dramatic. I don't recommend it. 🌟🌟 ( )
1 vote KarenMonsen | Mar 28, 2018 |
I put off reading Philippa's books until I could start at the beginning of all the Tudor books (i.e. they turned up in my local library). I then thought, what does it matter, and jumped in with this one. In fact it didn't matter that I jumped in the middle of the whole sweep of history, as this covered one person and her fascinating story. It was also interesting to hear another take on Thomas Cromwell's life compared to Hilary Mantell's account. ( )
  paulmorriss | Dec 30, 2017 |
Acting as a hinge between Gregory's Cousins' War series and her Tudor series, "The King's Curse" follows the life of Margaret Pole, the niece of Edward IV and Richard III. Through Margaret's eyes, we see Katherine of Aragon come to England, Anne Boleyn rise to power and her execution, and Jane Seymour give birth to the future Edward VI and die. We also watch in horror as Henry VIII transforms from the golden, beloved Tudor prince and king to a warped, paranoid tyrant. All the while, Margaret and the rest of the Plantagenet's must tread carefully lest they be the next on the block...

Anna C. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
In the moment of waking I am innocent, my conscience clear of any wrongdoing.
The king will not even receive letters from the City for fear of the disease. Cardinal Wolsey writes to him on special paper from Richmond Palace and is living there, ruling like a king himself.
Prior Richard comes to me in my records room at the manor. I am seated at a great round table, with each drawer labelled with a letter. Every tenant's deeds are in a drawer labelled with the right letter, and the table can spin from A to Z so that I can draw out, in a moment, the document that I need.
The king will not even receive letters from the City for fear of the disease. Cardinal Wolsey writes to him on special paper from Richmond Palace.

"From the #1 New York Times bestselling author behind the Starz original series The White Queen comes the story of lady-in-waiting Margaret Pole and her unique view of King Henry VIII's stratospheric rise to power in Tudor England. Regarded as yet another threat to the volatile King Henry VII's claim to the throne, Margaret Pole, cousin to Elizabeth of York (known as the White Princess) and daughter of George, Duke of Clarence, is married off to a steady and kind Lancaster supporter--Sir Richard Pole. For his loyalty, Sir Richard is entrusted with the governorship of Wales, but Margaret's contented daily life is changed forever with the arrival of Arthur, the young Prince of Wales, and his beautiful bride, Katherine of Aragon. Margaret soon becomes a trusted advisor and friend to the honeymooning couple, hiding her own royal connections in service to the Tudors. After the sudden death of Prince Arthur, Katherine leaves for London a widow, and fulfills her deathbed promise to her husband by marrying his brother, Henry VIII. Margaret's world is turned upside down by the surprising summons to court, where she becomes the chief lady-in-waiting to Queen Katherine. But this charmed life of the wealthiest and "holiest" woman in England lasts only until the rise of Anne Boleyn, and the dramatic deterioration of the Tudor court. Margaret has to choose whether her allegiance is to the increasingly tyrannical king, or to her beloved queen; to the religion she loves or the theology which serves the new masters. Caught between the old world and the new, Margaret Pole has to find her own way as she carries the knowledge of an old curse on all the Tudors"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible