Emotions Revealed, Second Edition:…

Emotions Revealed, Second Edition: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to… (2003)

by Paul Ekman

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
This is an excellent book that was both at times slow to read, and enormously fascinating. For me the challenge came as I was very interested in the topic, but would get slowed down by the details (of which there are many). But really, why would you want a general book about emotions. If you're like me, you nt to be able to better understand the emotions in those around us--and that is going to take effort.

It's worth it... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
As a general review of emotions this book was average. The recognition of minute facial expressions aspect was poorly organized, wordy and really quite tedious. Perhaps I will be more aware of true smiles in the future. Apparently the eye muscles cannot be tricked when there is no true happy emotion behind the smile. ( )
  C-WHY | Jan 13, 2011 |

"A tour de force. If you read this book, you'll never look at other people in quite the same way again."--Malcolm Gladwell

Renowned psychologist Paul Ekman explains the roots of our emotions--anger, fear, disgust, sadness, and happiness--and shows how they cascade across our faces, providing clear signals to those who can identify the clues. As featured in Malcolm Gladwell's bestseller Blink, Ekman's Facial Action Coding System offers intense training in recognizing feelings in spouses, children, colleagues, even strangers on the street.

In Emotions Revealed, Ekman distills decades of research into a practical, mind-opening, and life-changing guide to reading the emotions of those around us. He answers such questions as: How does our body signal to others whether we are slightly sad or anguished, peeved or enraged? Can we learn to distinguish between a polite smile and the genuine thing? Can we ever truly control our emotions? Packed with unique exercises and photographs, and a new chapter on emotions and lying that encompasses security and terrorism as well as gut decisions, Emotions Revealed is an indispensable resource for navigating our emotional world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:10 -0400)

Psychologist Paul Ekman explains the roots of our emotional responses--from anger and fear to sadness and happiness--and shows how these emotions cascade across our faces, revealing information to those who can decipher the clues. Ekman's research and practical training were prominently featured in Malcolm Gladwell's bestseller Blink, and the insights in Emotions Revealed provide us with the skills to recognize feelings in our spouses, children, business colleagues, even strangers on the street. Ekman translates his research into a practical, mind-opening guide to reading the emotions of those around us. He explains what triggers emotions and whether we can control them; shows how our body signals to others whether we are slightly sad or truly anguished, peeved or enraged; and teaches us how to distinguish between a polite smile and the genuine thing. Packed with unique exercises and photographs--and a new chapter on emotions and lying that discusses how to identify possible deceit "hot spots" in everyday life--Emotions Revealed is an indispensable resource for navigating our emotional world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,748,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible