Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and…

Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication… (2003)

by Paul Ekman

English (3)  German (1)  All (4)
Paul Ekman, who is also author of the landmark book Unmasking The Face – A Guide To Recognizing Emotions From Facial Expression, has been at the tip of the spear in regards to the topic of emotions and behavioral psychology.

In Emotions Revealed – Recognizing Faces & Feelings To Improve Communications & Emotional Life, Ekman speaks at length throughout the book about the extensive research he has conducted throughout his life in respect to the emotional behaviour individuals display, and also offers ways of ascertaining whether those individuals are carrying deceit or not.

The book Emotions Revealed couples extremely well with Unmasking The Face because the former provides ample emotional data for reading/understanding individual behavior, while the latter offers dozens of visual examples of these emotions – happiness, surprise, fear, anger, disgust and sadness.

Ekman in Emotions Revealed helps individual glean information in a manner that is reasonable and easy to follow with the photographs used, and the exercises to carry out, which helps individuals seep within the mind of another potential person. This aids individuals in the comprehension of how others would behave in many emotional-charged situations.

The author states in the preface to the second edition that his goal is to ‘help people improve four essential skills’, which are:

First, becoming more consciously aware of when you are becoming emotional, even before you speak or act.
Second, choosing how you behave when you are emotional, so you achieve your goals without damaging other people.
Third, becoming more sensitive to how others are feeling.
Fourth, carefully using the information you acquire about how others are feeling.

Knowing the goals the author had in the beginning of the book, it can be said without equivocation that the author did a trenchant job at fulfilling his goal.

Not only did Ekman provide individuals throughout the book with extensive data that merges with his central goals, but he also carries it out in a clear and direct manner.

This book is indispensable in the field of emotions and behavior and it is an essential tool to understanding how people behave. ( )
  ZyPhReX | Jan 5, 2017 |
This is an excellent book that was both at times slow to read, and enormously fascinating. For me the challenge came as I was very interested in the topic, but would get slowed down by the details (of which there are many). But really, why would you want a general book about emotions. If you're like me, you nt to be able to better understand the emotions in those around us--and that is going to take effort.

It's worth it... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
As a general review of emotions this book was average. The recognition of minute facial expressions aspect was poorly organized, wordy and really quite tedious. Perhaps I will be more aware of true smiles in the future. Apparently the eye muscles cannot be tricked when there is no true happy emotion behind the smile. ( )
  C-WHY | Jan 13, 2011 |

"A tour de force. If you read this book, you'll never look at other people in quite the same way again."--Malcolm Gladwell

Renowned psychologist Paul Ekman explains the roots of our emotions--anger, fear, disgust, sadness, and happiness--and shows how they cascade across our faces, providing clear signals to those who can identify the clues. As featured in Malcolm Gladwell's bestseller Blink, Ekman's Facial Action Coding System offers intense training in recognizing feelings in spouses, children, colleagues, even strangers on the street.

In Emotions Revealed, Ekman distills decades of research into a practical, mind-opening, and life-changing guide to reading the emotions of those around us. He answers such questions as: How does our body signal to others whether we are slightly sad or anguished, peeved or enraged? Can we learn to distinguish between a polite smile and the genuine thing? Can we ever truly control our emotions? Packed with unique exercises and photographs, and a new chapter on emotions and lying that encompasses security and terrorism as well as gut decisions, Emotions Revealed is an indispensable resource for navigating our emotional world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:21 -0400)

Psychologist Paul Ekman explains the roots of our emotional responses--from anger and fear to sadness and happiness--and shows how these emotions cascade across our faces, revealing information to those who can decipher the clues. Ekman's research and practical training were prominently featured in Malcolm Gladwell's bestseller Blink, and the insights in Emotions Revealed provide us with the skills to recognize feelings in our spouses, children, business colleagues, even strangers on the street. Ekman translates his research into a practical, mind-opening guide to reading the emotions of those around us. He explains what triggers emotions and whether we can control them; shows how our body signals to others whether we are slightly sad or truly anguished, peeved or enraged; and teaches us how to distinguish between a polite smile and the genuine thing. Packed with unique exercises and photographs--and a new chapter on emotions and lying that discusses how to identify possible deceit "hot spots" in everyday life--Emotions Revealed is an indispensable resource for navigating our emotional world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,799,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible