As You Wake (In Your Dreams) (Volume 2) by…

As You Wake (In Your Dreams) (Volume 2)

by Amy Martin

I read Book 1, In Your Dreams, and thought author Amy Martin's most creative character was 17 y.o., narcoleptic, precognitive dreamer Kieran. With subject matter like that at hand I was surprised to find an over all lack of intrigue stemming from Kieran's dreams.

I had high hopes for the possibility that In Your Dreams was meant to give the reader a small introduction to Kieran's premonitions and that the storyline would be more developed in Book 2, As You Wake. Unfortunately that was not the case, the most intriguing aspect of the storyline, precognitive dreams, were almost nonexistent. Emphasis was placed on the developing friendship between Zip, Kieran's girlfriend, whose perspective the story is told, and his sister, Kayla. Time was taken to get to know familial characters only briefly touched on in Book 1 Zip's father, Mitch, Kieran's birth father, Morgan and his aunt, Jilly. The suspense active to the storyline isn't picked up until the last six chapters and the climax is with the cliffhanger at the book's end.

If you're looking for a story about high school kids with a little twist this is perfect for you (I'm not saying that sarcastically at all) but if your looking for action and suspense I don't think this will hold your attention. ( )
  mtchrista | Apr 10, 2017 |
Author Amy Martin's main characters, Zip and Kieran, were described so well that I easily had a mental picture of each of them. Due to Martin's adept wording of Zip's inner thoughts, her dialogue with Kieran and the subsequent events of their first meeting they both immediately came across as likable, interesting characters whose budding relationship the reader already feels invested in. Martin's plot was intriguing at the onset based just on Kieran's narcolepsy, considering this was a 17 year old afflicted and gave a spark of greater intrigue at the mention of premonitions! (When I'm choosing books I don't read the synopsis, I prefer everything to be a surprise.) The humor was refreshingly witty mastered in a way that's humorous for the YA reader and adult of any age!

My initial impression from the first few chapters of the book was it was ramping up to be a 5 star read, sadly it flatlined for me and became only a moderately intriguing story that held so much potential. I battled with myself on the rating considering what I felt from the first several chapters and at the time of Kieran's revelation about his dreams was a but honestly other than his parents revelation (trying not to cause a spoiler) there wasn't much meat given towards the theme. I admire Martin's obvious desire not go over the top with the precognitive dreams aspect, too often we see plots overly fantastical to be believable. But I feel she went to the other extreme and held too much restraint especially for the YA reader vs the tween or early teens. The length of Kieran's premonitions being snippets and more specifically the content being so mild in nature it didn't cause much emotional investment on the readers part. Development in that area could've added the excitement and suspense I was longing for. Even the climax the time for everything to play out and be exposed, I felt, lacked the excitement it deserved.

I still think Amy Martin has great characters here and a storyline with a unique premise for the cause of Kieran's narcolepsy and possibly his precognitive dreams that if further developed could, in my opinion, take this story from good to awesome. With that being said I'm glad that it is the first book in a series ("In Your Dreams") and I'm looking forward to reading Book two. ( )
  mtchrista | Apr 8, 2017 |
The second book on the In Your Dreams series was better than the first. It picks up almost right where the first left off.

This time, the kids aren't trying to escape from Kierans dad, who we now know is a good person. Instead they need to worry about Frank who maybe didn't die after all.

The adventure takes us away from Illinois for a bit, sending us off to North Carolina where new secrets are revealed.

A handful of new characters are introduced. Connor and Zips father both appear as well as Kayla and Kierans aunt, Jilly. Connor, I feel, is going to play a big role in the coming novels. I really liked Jilly and Zips dad. Hopefully they pop in again because it would be nice to see them another time.

We also learn a bit more about Morgan, Kierans biological father, who is struggling to find exactly where he fits in his sons life while Kieran has to adapt to having his real dad around in addition to the parents who raised him. Hopefully, he gets over his hurt at being lied to and can get along with his adoptive parents again.

This book ends in a cliffhanger so know that going in. It is book 2 of a 4 book series. I look forward to the next 2 when I get a chance to read them! They are on my rather large to read list for sure.

Thank you, again, to the author for giving me the chance to read and review her work. ( )
  jnoble82 | Apr 1, 2017 |
I received this book from LibraryThing via Member Giveaways. This is the second book in the series. You could read this one first (which is what I did) but I think it would be helpful to read them in order. There were a few times that I wished I knew what had happened previously so I could better understand what the characters were talking about.
The story starts with a group of friends trying to get through the aftermath of some trouble that was caused by someone from their father’s past. Kieran starts acting weird around his girlfriend, Zip, before he goes missing. He leaves a note, but does not let Zip or his sister Kayla know any of his plans. There is a lot of tension between Zip and her parents over her boyfriend, they are worried she is throwing away her future by being with him, and his disappearance does not help things. Although worried about Kieran, she resigns herself to a month at her dad’s until. Kayla, however, changes her plans.
This is an interesting book! Lots of different twists and turns! ( )
  AmberKirbey | Apr 19, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0988205122, Paperback)

Zara "Zip" McKee and Kieran Lanier thought they had put the threats from Kieran's past behind them in the first installment of the In Your Dreams series. But when danger comes for them once again, Zip, Kieran, and their families find themselves on separate summer road trips that none of them had anticipated. When all paths converge in North Carolina, the two families are forced to deal with each other and the secrets they've kept out of love and fear. But Kieran is keeping the biggest secret of all from everyone but Zip. He hasn’t had a dream—about the future, about anything—for months. And while Zip and Kieran are grappling with what the new twist in Kieran’s sleeping disorder might mean, a mysterious stranger reveals information that could change Kieran's life--or end it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Amy Martin's book As You Wake (In Your Dreams #2) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Amy Martin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible