Peril on the Royal Train (Railway Detective)…

Peril on the Royal Train (Railway Detective) (edition 2014)

by Edward Marston (Author)

Can Colbeck and Leeming crack the case before the Royal family makes their train journey to Balmoral?
Member:kevinlilley
Title:Peril on the Royal Train (Railway Detective)
Authors:Edward Marston (Author)
Info:Allison & Busby (2014), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:paperback

Peril on the Royal Train by Edward Marston

1/2

So far I am hating this..... I dislike his wife & her father (very, very trite & whiny conversations).

Detective Leeming is getting on my nerves... always bitching about leaving his wife & having to travel (which happens to be his freaking job). He should have gotten use to it by now, or just shut the hell up & quit already.

I also thoroughly dislike several of the other Inspectors/Detectives on the case. The continual jealousy & thwarting of Colbeck's investigation gets very old for me, I'm tired of the constant back-stabbing & hatefulness, it has ruined the series for me so I've finished w/ the series.

I did, however, like the conclusion and the basic story:

A young shepherd has lost a few sheep to the Caledonia and hates the railway for "murdering" innocent animals.

A bit later the Engineer & Fireman of the Caledonia are discussing what it is when one goes into a marriage with the brake man fast asleep when the Caledonia rounds a bend and into a huge pile of rocks, thus overturning the train & ending the life of all three men upon it. This was no accident and sets the plot for the story.....

One of the securest "Chubb" safes in all the world, in the home of a politically well connected peer has been burgled, only to have some money taken and all the jewelry & other valuables left behind.

The burglar is later found murdered in his own home and his Chubb safe is found to be completely empty, which leads Inspector Colbeck back to the original burglary in order to reinspect the safe's contents, where he finds secret plans of the Queen & the Royal Family's trip to Balmoral.

At most every turn the efforts of Inspector Colbeck are thwarted by the jealousy & stupidity of other men in power...... and thankfully two get their comeuppance.

There are no lack of people/groups that want the Railway stopped including the young shepherd, who turns out to be a good & reliable source of information and sets Inspector Colbeck on to the trail of the guilty party. There is the churchy people who sabotage the railway and want it to stop running on Sundays & a disgruntled group of political reactionaries.

The story was a 5 all the whining & pettiness lowered the rating to a 2.5 ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,589,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible