Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School) by…

Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School) (edition 2015)

by Gail Carriger (Author)

Member:chibikate
Title:Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School)
Authors:Gail Carriger (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2015), Edition: Reissue, 320 pages

Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger

Recently added byprivate library, onetrooluff, RempelHome, jeninmotion, juliejb9, Bnickle, whatsmacksaid, tldegray

The one disappointing part of this book for me--the one--was that they left the school for this adventure. Wacky boarding schools are like catnip for me and I missed it.

Good Sidheag stuff here, settled her nicely into her future life. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
The finishing school books have become one of my favorite series. Strong female characters, steampunk, gadgets, and espionage. It is a winning ingredient for books that are a joy to read. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
It's nice that the sidekicks started getting a bit of showcasing in this. I really like Sophronia's girlfriends and the other characters. There wasn't as much world-building in this book since it focused on character-building. I wish Carriger would learn to balance character-building with world-building. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 25, 2017 |
Sophronia and her friends are getting ready to head back to her hometown for her brother's engagement masquerade ball (ah, yes. the traditional engagement masquerade - the husband and I really missed out). Their good friend, who is part of a werewolf pack (although not a werewolf herself), is distraught and leaves their dirigible school when she gets bad news. From there, things get even odder.

Steampunk is a fairly new genre for me, but I get its appeal, and I enjoy these somewhat quick reads. Things can't be solved with a quick text message or crowdsourced post on social media - people have to really work to puzzle things out. It's refreshing. Plus, it's fun to picture these worlds where everyone is dressed really nicely and worries about manners. I wouldn't want to actually live in that time (apparently some members of the conservative party in Ms. Carriger's universe are just as racist as some of the politicians in our universe), or in a world with vampires and werewolves, but it can be fun to visit.

Slight side note - can people who are creating new world consider creating ones where being gay isn't a thing that people find 'shocking?' Or find to be a bad thing? There's so much creativity in this book that it's disappointing that sexuality - and conservative views of it - seem to have been transplanted directly from our universe to theirs.

Regardless, if you like steampunk and YA, I think you'll probably enjoy this book. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 9, 2017 |
Continuing her adventures at Madame Geraldine's Finishing School for Young Ladies, Sophronia and her friends are looking forward to her brother's engagement ball and find themselves embroiled in events far beyond one country dance.

As the third book in a series that basically reads like one long, episodic story, it's really hard to actually explain what this book is about without giving something away. There are several discoveries and plot twists but no real resolution, as there is one more book to go. I think I would've liked a little more at the school and a little less bumbling around, but all in all it was a fun ride. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 4, 2017 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, TracyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rhonda:
She glittered.
"Funambulist", said Sophronia Temminnick, quite suddenly.

(from Amazon.com) Class is back in session...

Sophronia continues her second year at finishing school in style--with a steel-bladed fan secreted in the folds of her ball gown, of course. Such a fashionable choice of weapon comes in handy when Sophronia, her best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap, and the charming Lord Felix Mersey stowaway on a train to return their classmate Sidheag to her werewolf pack in Scotland. No one suspected what--or who--they would find aboard that suspiciously empty train. Sophronia uncovers a plot that threatens to throw all of London into chaos and she must decide where her loyalties lie, once and for all.

Gather your poison, steel tipped quill, and the rest of your school supplies and join Mademoiselle Geraldine's proper young killing machines in the third rousing installment in the New York Times bestselling Finishing School Series by steampunk author, Gail Carriger.

In her alternate England of 1851, while taking her friend Sidheag by train to her werewolf pack in Scotland, sixteen-year-old Sophronia uncovers a plot that threatens to dissolve all of London into chaos and must decide where her loyalties lie once and for all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible