American Notes / Pictures from Italy (1842)

by Charles Dickens

338255,403 (3)3
Dickens' account of his first visit to America and his letters written during a stay in Italy describe cities from Boston and St Louis to Rome and Naples.

I enjoyed "American Notes" more than "Pictures from Italy" since I happened to be reading this while traveling in some of the same American cities as Dickens as I read, and found it fascinating to make the comparisons. I was greatly bemused by Dickens' repeated discussions of spitting, which were frequent and lengthy. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
a travelogue from Dickens' trips to America and Italy. Boring. I got about 100 pages in and then started skimming the American Notes. By the end of that, I didn't even try to skim Pictures from Italy. Not like his fiction at all, really. But that is to be expected. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Greiffenhagen, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grieffenhagen, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palmer, SamuelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sitwell, SacheverellIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stanfield, ClarksonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MarcusIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ich widme dieses Buch meinen Freunden in Amerika, die nach einem Empfang, dessen ich mich stets mit Stolz und Dankbarkeit erinnern werde, meinem Urteil seine Freiheit ließen ; und die, weil sie ihr Vaterland lieben, die Wahrheit, wenn sie wohlmeinend und nicht verletzend gesagt wird, vertragen können.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,674,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible