Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to…

Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Jeff VanderMeer, Jeremy Zerfoss (Illustrator)

Member:psutto
Title:Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction
Authors:Jeff VanderMeer
Other authors:Jeremy Zerfoss (Illustrator)
Info:Abrams Image (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction by Jeff VanderMeer (2013)

This is one of those beautiful books that anyone might find it interesting to wander through, but of course, it's of most use to writers. I'd absolutely recommend it to any beginning writer, but I actually think it might be of interest for any writer to at least wander through. Vandermeer's focus on craft, and on discussing the practice of writing with a view toward speculative fiction and entertainment, allows for a lot of inspiration. Certainly, I've thought about certain aspects of writing in new ways while finding my way through the book, and I've also used some of the illustrations, interviews, and passages in my own creative writing classes. (It might be worth noting here that most of the exercises aren't at all suitable for young writers because they require more time than a class permits, or an advanced ability to focus in on revision and detailed elements of craft, but writing teachers will still find some elements worth sharing here, and find some exercises worth playing with and simplifying for younger writers or class-based experiments. A number of the interviews would be worth sharing with creative writing classes.)

All told, this may be the most beautiful book I own, from page to page--the art is incredible--and there's plenty of food for thought here if you're a writer or an artist of any sort. It's true that some of the subjects and discussions are simplistic enough or basic enough that they won't offer anything new (knowledge-wise, at least) to experienced writers, but Vandermeer's attention to depth and entertainment allows for even those passages to hold a surprising amount of interest, old material or not. So, for those who find themselves even somewhat interested or engaged in the craft of writing, I'd absolutely recommend it. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 28, 2016 |
This is a beautiful book. Almost every page had an image on it. The colors are vibrant, and the images evocative of creativity and fantasy.

Have read part of it, and it's a very good book about writing and creating in fantasy world's. The exercises are fun, and go all with the imagery. Simply a well crafted book in every way. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
Wonderful pictures and some nice essays but I only wish that there was more about applying inspiration to the actual act of putting words on paper. Still it is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it especially if you are just starting out as any type of artist. ( )
  BeckyzWorld | Feb 19, 2016 |
"Wonderbook, the illustrated guide to creating imaginative fiction" is a specially illustrated book about writing craft. It has a a lot of information shown in an interesting way. ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zerfoss, JeremyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Erin Kennedy and Jason Kennedy, with love.
For my mom, my aunt, my long-suffering friends and family, and for the free-texture community. I love you all. -- Jeremy Zerfoss
Welcome to Wonderbook. Before you begin, check your supplies. Make sure you have plenty of water, food, and at least some mountaineering equipment.
Be fiercely protective of your imagination, and nurture it. (p. 40)
Being available to social media 24/7 does not count as receptivity; it's just fragmentation.

"This all-new definitive guide to writing imaginative fiction takes a completely novel approach and fully exploits the visual nature of fantasy through original drawings, maps, renderings, and exercises to create a spectacularly beautiful and inspiring object. Employing an accessible, example-rich approach, Wonderbook energizes and motivates while also providing practical, nuts-and-bolts information needed to improve as a writer. Aimed at aspiring and intermediate-level writers, Wonderbook includes helpful sidebars and essays from some of the biggest names in fantasy today, such as George R. R. Martin, Lev Grossman, Neil Gaiman, Michael Moorcock, Catherynne M. Valente, and Karen Joy Fowler, to name a few"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,075,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible