Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion:…

The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion: A Novel

by Fannie Flagg

The Eleventh Man by Ivan Doig (terran)
    terran: The protagonist's love interest, Cass Standish, is a Women's Airforce Service Pilot.
    Wings by Cynthia lee Cartier (terran)
    terran: Both books contain interesting stories and information about women who flew as WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots) during WWII

This book is just...so....sweet!

And, as I kind of figured, I don't remember everything I wanted to say, but let me see what I can come up with that does this book justice.

I can start off with the one negative thing I have to say: She got a bit long winded it seemed in some parts, but I guess much of it needed to be said..It all added up in the end.

Now, on to the positive. This book was sweet, quirky, funny, cute, & all about the growth of Sookie (nope, no vampires in this one). Her wonderful husband and children. Her wonderful but sometimes overly nosy friends and neighbors.

And her mother, Lenore? OMG, I wanted to strangle her sometimes! I guess she meant well but good gracious she was a bit much. She was a Southern Woman in her 80's, and as many know, sometimes, southern moms can be a bit much and every so often, be a bit overbearing (as a woman in the south, I've seen many overbearing mothers in their upper years). But, I'm sure there are mothers like that all over the world! lol Now, I may upset some with this statement, but hey, it is what it is. And if you take note of the bold and underlined sometimes and can be up there. Thankfully, so many of us have tamed down a bit! ;-)

But, I digress.

I really loved this book and the narrator helped a lot as well. She read the book at a little slower speed than what I read, but she made it easier to get through because of some of the long drawn out parts.

As with Fried Green Tomatoes, I just had to finish this book to see what happened. That's just how Fannie Flagg writes. She makes you want to finish because you want to know how she is just going to wrap it all up. As much as I liked adored, Fried Green Tomatoes, I think I really liked this one so much more. The only reason it got a 4.5 stars was because of how I felt some parts were a bit drawn out at first..but it smoothed out as the story went on.

I do have one other book from her that I bought recently that I hope to get to soon. :-) ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
All of Fannie Flagg's books are worth reading - the characters are quirky, touching, sweet, and irrepressible. By the time I finished reading "The All-Girl Filling Station" I wanted to tell all my friends "you have to read this book." The story takes place mainly in the South and includes a little-known piece of American history. Told in alternating chapters of current day and the 1940s, all the loose ends come together in a warmhearted conclusion. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
This story was really slow for me and because of that I had to stop and not finish it. I've read others reviews saying this book is exciting especially with the twists and turns but I couldn't seem to find that point. I've already read half the book and the author is just stretching the story out to make it longer (too wordy) and nothing exciting is really happening. It seems like she's waiting to the very end to announce all the exciting tidbits. Also I didn't care so much about the present story. I thought Sookie and Lenore was annoying and they drove me nuts. But I did enjoy the past story a lot and because of that I might (maybe) in the future pick this up again and give this story another chance. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jan 31, 2019 |
Sweet and entertaining story.
Sookie has always seen herself as boring, growing up with Lenore as a mother. Even nearing sixty, Sookie still has a lot of issues with the way he mom treats her.

One day she finds out a family secret that changes everything she knows about herself.

I thought the parts of the story about the WASPs were incredibly interesting.

What a cool story.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Sookie Poole of Alabama is the daughter of Lenore Simmons Krackenberry. She has just finished planning the weddings of all three of her daughters. Now Sookie is ready to relax and maybe travel. But she still needs to look after her mother Lenore. And looking after Lenore is no small task because Lenore is not only an overbearing mother but she is also a major influence in their town of Point Clear. Consequently, Sookie is beginning to feel incompetent and useless. Then one day a letter arrives that changes everything that Sookie thought she knew about herself.

There are many humorous scenes to enjoy in the book. But there is also a serious side to the tale as Flagg relates some of the fascinating details about women’s roles on the home front during World War II. There were the Jurdabralinski girls who stepped up and ran the family filling station when no men were available to do so. And then there were the women who were part of the WASP movement flying airplanes to relocate them from one part of the United States to another during World War II.

The book is light and enjoyable with just enough mystery to keep the reader interested to the final pages. The characters and plot come together to create a nice blend of fiction and history that offers a satisfying read.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
For Sam Vaughan
In the year 1908, Stanislaw Ludic Jurdabralinski, a tall, raw-boned boy of fourteen, was facing a future of uncertainty.

"Spanning decades, generations, and America in the 1940s and today, The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion is a fun-loving mystery about an Alabama woman today, and five women who in 1943 worked in a Phillips 66 gas station, during the WWII years. Like Fannie Flagg's classic Fried Green Tomatoes, this is a riveting, fun story of two families, set in present day America and during World War II, filled to the brim with Flagg's trademark funny voice and storytelling magic"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Fannie Flagg's book The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible