Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman

The pacing is excellent except for a couple of late stumbles, the characters pretty good, the setting well integrated. That the solution becomes obvious to the reader while the detectives don't catch on until too much later and the ranting of the villain is a total fail. ( )
  quondame | Nov 16, 2018 |
It was wonderful to spend time with these characters again, and Anne Hillerman does a decent job continuing her father's series, although there are some awkward paragraphs, such as the two characters carefully explaining to each other what sopapillas are, although both of them already know. There are plot problems with the mystery, which forces Bernie and Chee to be very slow on the update, and then incredibly brilliant. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I'm impressed - the mystery was good, and the sense of place was a delight. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
What a delight to be able to carry on reading the Hillerman Navajo books! After the death of her father Tony Hillerman, his daughter Anne Hillerman has taken on the cloak of wonderful Navajo mysteries. She has segued seamlessly into the series, which is not too surprising as she often worked with her father on the stories. All my favorite characters are here. Joe Leaphorn (but will he survive his attempted murder?), Chief Largo, Jim Chee, now married to fellow cop Bernie (Bernadette) Manuelito who is witness to the close up shooting. Who targeted Joe Leaphorn? Why? Where is his housemate who seems to have disappeared or just simply left the house? So much to be learned and Bernie, as the only witness, is not allowed to work the case.

This is an in-depth look at the life and beliefs of the Navajo nation and at the same time a truly well thought out police case, with surprises, action, loss and crime. Chaco Canyon is as true to reality and mystery as always. Always a major crime to be solved but at the same time we learn a bit of history, a bit of lore, a bit of healing, and a sense of community. Wow! I loved this book! It's like being reunited with old friends. Thank you Anne Hillerman for continuing the series. I've missed the stories and am so happy to be able to continue with this new book. As before, the very active Navajo police at the fore, surrounded by the legends and lifestyles of the Navajo, Zuni, Pueblo and other nations; a wonderful balance. ( )
  readerbynight | May 6, 2018 |
It's hard to pick up from another author, even if that author was your father. Still I think Anne Hillerman has done a good job. I don't quite feel the characters as I did with Tony Hillerman but her descriptions and story development were quite well done. I have just downloaded another of her books. ( )
  TGPistole | Aug 14, 2017 |

Anne Hillermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delaine, ChristinaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don, my inspiration
For my mom, and in memory of my dear dad.
"I get this call, out of the blue."

"Navajo Nation Police Officer Bernadette Manualito witnesses the cold-blooded shooting of someone very close to her. With the victim fighting for his life, the entire squad and the local FBI office are hell-bent on catching the gunman. Bernie, too, wants in on the investigation, despite regulations forbidding eyewitness involvement. But that doesn't mean she's going to sit idly by, especially when her husband, Sergeant Jim Chee, is in charge of finding the shooter. Bernie and Chee discover that a cold case involving his former boss and partner, retired Inspector Joe Leaphorn, may hold the key. Digging into the old investigation, husband and wife find themselves inching closer to the truth-- and closer to a killer determined to prevent justice from taking its course" -- from publisher's web page.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible