Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a…

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist (edition 2013)

by Tim Federle (Author), Lauren Mortimer (Illustrator)

Member:emily_morine
Title:Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist
Authors:Tim Federle (Author)
Other authors:Lauren Mortimer (Illustrator)
Info:Running Press (2013), 160 pages
Tags:recipes, cocktails, booze

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle (Author)

Fun cocktails such as Gin Eyre, The Count of Monte Cristal and The Turn of the Screwdriver, with the recipe and information about the inspiration. ( )
  Tifi | Jan 7, 2017 |
"Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita"--lol, love that one! A great cookbook to have on hand for book group refreshments, literary-themed parties, and just anytime! Non-alcohol recipes included. Some to try: Pat the Tummy, Rip van Drinkle, Cherry Poppins, Love in the Time of Kahlua, Pear the Wild Things Are. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle is a slim volume that is part mixed drink recipe book and part literary criticism.

Each drink is both named for and inspired by a famous book. For book lovers who don't or can't drink alcohol, there is a section of alcohol free drinks and a section on some literary inspired snacks.

It was a fun book, something I sipped over the course of three nights of reading before bed. As yet, though, I haven't actually tried any of the recipes. Oops! But I do plan to. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 9, 2014 |
Arianna bought this for my birthday and I LOVE it! Each drink is named so cleverly, I haven't made any of the cocktails as of yet but I think ShelfNotes will be doing drink pairings from this book when we venture into the cookbook reviews we plan on doing. Stay tuned! ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Literary lush alert! I love a good cocktail allllmost as much as I love a good book, so this selection seemed perfect for me. English major? Check. Cocktail enthusiast? Check. Chortler at a terrible pun? Check!!!

The former barista in me still gets a thrill whenever I create a concoction (alcoholic or non) that makes my guests stop and say, “Wow, this is good. What’s in this?” Now I’ve got a bevy of beverages to attempt, and I cannot wait until my living room is finished so I can stock my liquor cabinet. (Our liquor cabinet is actually an antique medical cabinet. Get it? It’s like…modern medicine! Silly, I know, but it amuses us.)

Okay, back to the book. Tequlia Mockingbird deals with classics, but not in an overly highbrow way, which I appreciated. I mean, I’ve read many-to-most of the books featured here, and they’re serious works. (Well, most. There are entries for children’s books and chick lit, after all.) But Tim Federle manages to make the summaries move breezily with some remarkably clever plays on words and literary quips.

The cocktails are mainly variations on the staples, which I’m sure you can guess from names like “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margarita” and “The Joy of Sex on the Beach.” There are a few that I’ve never heard of or tried as well, though, and they sound delicious. I’m especially jazzed to try “Frangelico and Zooey,” and not just because the Glass family is one of my top five literary families. The drink sounds excellent.

Not only is this book clever and quirky and mouth-watering, it’s easy on the eyes as well. Printed in chocolate- and rust-colored ink, it features artwork by Lauren Mortimer that is simultaneously witty and gorgeous. I especially enjoyed the illustration for “Paradise Sauced” (an apple martini), which substitutes a martini glass for the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil, with a snake wrapped around the stem.

All in all: I had high hopes for this book, and it delivered. Entertaining, attractive, and useful, it’s the whole package. It would make a great gift for an English major. (I would have loved to receive this as a gift, but nobody picked up on the hints I was dropping, so I went out and bought it for myself…and I’m so glad I did!) ( )
  KellyWoodward | Feb 17, 2014 |

Federle, TimAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mortimer, LaurenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A clever tribute to literature, Tequila Mockingbird is the cocktail book for the literary obsessed. Combining beloved classic novels with witty humor and delicious drink recipes, some of the charming recipes include Vermouth the Bell Tolls, Gin Eyre, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margarita, Bridget Jones’s Daiquiri, and more. Accompanying the 65 cocktail recipes are a list of tools and techniques, a spirits glossary, and a handful of drinking games and bar bites, making this cocktail book both fun and functional. With a special cover designed to look like a classic novel, whimsical illustrations, and a two-color design throughout, Tequila Mockingbird is a one-of-a-kind cocktail book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

Features 65 drink recipes inspired by history's most loved novels.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible