Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems by…

Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems (2013)

by Billy Collins

I haven't read poetry for decades, and Collins is a good reintroduction--the most accessible of poets. A friend sent me his poem "Introduction to Poetry," which is delightfully funny, and which led me to explore his work. I enjoy his celebration of the ordinary moments of life, which, with minor refocusing, are extraordinary. His poems begin to sound very much alike when reading straight through this anthology, but I suppose that's what having a clear voice is all about. ( )
  cmt100 | Aug 4, 2018 |
I don't know if it's even fair to rate books of poetry or cookbooks. They simply aren't used or read the same way as novels or a non-fiction work.

It's Billy Collins, so, really, what's not to like? He's only one of the few who has made poetry "cool" again for the regular Joe/Jo, only one of the most approachable and likable poets writing today.

Still, I didn't love this collection. It was too much of a good thing packed it too close quarters. I found myself skipping around, looking for something different to break the mood and shake up the pacing. Had I read these poems individually and over a long period of time, I probably would have liked them all, but reading it cover to cover had the same effect as eating a whole box of Girl Scout cookies at one time: caloric overload, but little nutrition. ( )
1 vote Yaaresse | Apr 24, 2018 |
Excellent collection. Billy Collins is truly a master poet and is especially good with word play. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
Reading Billy Collins is like watching a Nora Ephron movie. Pure, cheesy pleasure. ( )
1 vote jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
If I had to categorize these poems, I'd say they're about everyday life, but then, they are also about so much more. There is such amazing imagery in every single poem written by Collins. I could see everything he saw, everything he thought, and I was enthralled.

Every time you read - and this can apply to all written words, but especially poetry - you can get something new out of it. Something leaps off of the pages and imprints onto your soul. It can be profound or it can be mundane, but it affects you all the same. Poetry is so poignant and concise. Aimless Love is no exception to this rule.

I had a few favorites. Although they were all wonderful, some spoke louder than others: Absence, Royal Aristocrat, Love, Statues in the Park, The Revenant, Adage, Promenade, To My Favorite 17 Year Old High School Girl, Animal Behavior, and Best Fall. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |

From the two-term Poet Laureate of the United States Billy Collins comes his first compilation of new and selected poems in twelve years. Aimless Love combines more than fifty new poems with selections from four previous books—Nine Horses, The Trouble with Poetry, Ballistics, and Horoscopes for the Dead. Collins’s unmistakable voice, which brings together plain speech with imaginative surprise, is clearly heard on every page, reminding us how he has managed to enrich the tapestry of contemporary poetry and greatly expand its audience. His work is featured in top literary magazines such as The New Yorker, Poetry, and The Atlantic, and he is a strong draw at reading venues across the country. Appearing regularly in The Best American Poetry series, his poems appeal to readers and live audiences far and wide and have been translated into more than a dozen languages. By turns playful, ironic, and serious, Collins’s poetry captures the nuances of everyday life while leading the reader into zones of inspired wonder. In the poet’s own words, he hopes that his poems “begin in Kansas and end in Oz.” Touching on the themes of love, loss, joy, and poetry itself, these poems showcase the best work of this “poet of plenitude, irony, and Augustan grace” (The New Yorker).

Envoy

Go, little book,
out of this house and into the world,

carriage made of paper rolling toward town
bearing a single passenger
beyond the reach of this jittery pen
and far from the desk and the nosy gooseneck lamp.

It is time to decamp,
put on a jacket and venture outside,
time to be regarded by other eyes,
bound to be held in foreign hands.

So off you go, infants of the brain,
with a wave and some bits of fatherly advice:

stay out as late as you like,
don’t bother to call or write,
and talk to as many strangers as you can.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

Presents a volume of more than fifty new poems accompanied by a generous gathering from the author's collections of the past decade, lending insight into his overall poetic achievements and his use of playful, ironic, and melodic language.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Billy Collins's book Aimless Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,196,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible