Tales from a New Amsterdam: The Legend by…

Tales from a New Amsterdam: The Legend

by Hunter S. Jones

421,664,912 (3)None

It didn’t hate this short story, but I didn’t really come close to enjoying it fully. It’s short and I was waiting for something to happen in it.

I was a little disappointed, mainly, due to the lack of a clear conflict. There was obvious potential for conflict to those reading it. I can count at least two conflicts that could have been brought forth and could have added to the story. There’s potential here, I’ll say that.

Basically, the story was going somewhere, there was forward movement which all stories need, but it was too easy to get to the end point that was very obvious to predict. Suzie is Cherokee, but it was just thrown into the story as if the reader should have known. “Cherokee magic” is mentioned in the short description, but when reading the story BAM she is part Cherokee, with a spell book and all. I’m pointing this out because I feel that the reader doesn’t get to know the character enough. This goes for other characters as we. There is a lot of telling rather than showing of details.

Let it be known that, according to the title page this is “First in a Series of Vignettes.” Yet, that’s the only mention of it, so I went into this a little blind because I skipped over that mention the first time. I’m intrigued enough from the absurd twist ending to possibly check out the second installment because I really don’t know how the twist fits into this story at all. I almost can’t not give it a chance.

Although I have some issues with this story, this was a free read (at the time of this review). I wouldn’t discourage anyone from trying it out themselves. Who knows, it might just be your cup of tea :) ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
This is the second installment into the "Tales From A New Amsterdam" series.

While these are meant to be short, sexy reads, I was somewhat disappointed with this one. There's an ok set-up to this one, but when it gets down to the most intimate parts it felts rushed. When I see a story labeled as "sexy" I have come to expect that aspect to be over with in the blink of an eye compared to the rest of the story. But also, I might have been expecting something different with the lead-up the way it was.

There was a twist in the ending that I wasn't expecting, but I have seen this very thing happen in a few stories in the past so I wasn't entirely surprised by it.

I'll still be looking forward to another Tales From A New Amsterdam installment. Jones' writing shows promise and I'd like to see what else is in store. I'm also looking to see if I can find the connection between the two stories I've read so far, and any in the future. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |

Hunter S. Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,810,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible