WHEN KEROSENES INVOLVED by Daniel Romo

by Daniel Romo

1None3,689,591NoneNone
Recently added byErmina

No reviews

Poetry. Surrender the sweater vest, lose the loafers, pop the collar. These are not your grandfather's prose poems. Nor are they your father's. They belong to a new generation. A generation that values poetic craft, fresh language, and images that burn. These prose poems maintain a controlled, consistent voice, despite the many colorful subjects explored. Fairy tales go awry, pop culture is pimped out, lovers take leaps of faith that can only end in injury. Surreal worlds and crisp words create an artful violence that's vital like oxygen. The voice of these poems commands your attention. He walks up to you, looks you in the eye, and socks your gut and guts your socks. And you are winded, and you look at him, and he simply walks away. And you realize, you liked it.

THESIS

The fragrance she wore reminded me of academia. I studied her scent as if majoring in my worst interests. Her core was as honest as ramen. She wrote comments on my eyelids in red ink. Ultimately I failed, but appreciated the feedback. Sometimes when I'm reading Cummings in the library, I drub my fingertips against my lips feeding myself the commas on the page while whispering my 9th grade locker combination. The cigarette burn on my shoulder still smolders with her initials. Her kisses tasted like Ph.D.'s. She left me DOA. 49-17-5.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

Romo is the most engaging and imaginative prose poet writing today. This incendiary book of poems burns through contemporary American life with wry fire and scorching wit, and through it the poet has created an important edition: one in which he reinvents his craft and transitions into an insurgent, precise, and quotable future.… (more)

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,417,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible