Cobweb Bride by Vera Nazarian

Cobweb Bride (2013)

by Vera Nazarian

Enchanting take on the Persephone myth with a bit of Snow Maiden legend thrown in. bit slow to start--not a bad thing as the author was setting up the story and introducing the main characters. Death has halted the death of all creatures, animal, human, and vegetable, until he receives his Cobweb Bride. Set in a late medieval/Renaissance world with a bit of 18th century, there are three subplots: presentation to Death of girls led by Persephone, the middle daughter of a peasant family; a Crown Princess; that of the Infanta Claere, now hovering between life and complete death, assassinated by Marquis Vlau, who hates her family for perceived wrongs; and that of a Black Knight, Beltain, on orders of his father a Duke, also in this twilight state, is charged with stopping any contenders for Death's hand. The father wishes to preserve this status quo.

Gorgeous writing. Character are suitably heroic or villainous. Flashes of gentle humor here and there. I wish to continue with the other books in the trilogy, but to me it would have been nice if the author could have condensed this whole Cobweb Bride trilogy into one standalone book. ( )
  janerawoof | Aug 27, 2016 |
A unique mythos, engaging and interesting characters, and an adventure full of mystery. Wonderful! ( )
  WingedWolf | Aug 13, 2016 |
Such an interesting premise and what beautiful writing but it moved so slowly! ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review as part of Fiction Addiction Book tours*
Cobweb Bride, the first in a new trilogy, is a book unlike anything I’ve read in a long while. This book is nothing less than a seriously interesting mix of historical fiction, fantasy, and mythology. Cobweb Bride follows several characters as they try to navigate a world where all death has stopped. Death himself is refusing to take anymore of the worlds souls until he finds his Cobweb Bride, meaning all of the sick and injured must suffer until he gets what he wants.

This book fell into my lap at the perfect time because I’ve been wanting to read more books with Death as an actual character and it doesn’t get much more real than death completely stopping by his hand. The story itself had such an interesting premise and it kept me engaged. The writing was beautiful, flowed extremely well, and was easy to read. In fact, I flew through this book very quickly.

All of the characters this book follows have their own quirks and motivations and such and it was interesting to read about them as they try to cope with this new reality, especially when they have no idea how long it will last. Persephone though, is one of the more interesting characters because while she is introduced as a very plain, unnoticeable sort of person, she’s actually quite formidable and important to the story and I honestly can’t wait to see where the future books take her.

All in all, Cobweb Bride was a fun, interesting, quick read and I’m very much looking forward to the rest of the trilogy. ( )
1 vote amongstories | Jun 29, 2015 |
Unfortunately I didn't like this book much. I found it quite horrific over the notion of death stopping. The last series of Torchwood used a very similar plot line so I have had time to think about the implications of this and personally I find it more terrifying than any slasher movie. So although I liked the character of Percy and certainly didn't see the final twist coming, I won't be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  infjsarah | May 2, 2015 |

Many are called... She alone can save the world and become Death's bride.

What if you killed someone and then fell in love with them?

In an alternate Renaissance world, somewhere in an imaginary "pocket" of Europe called the Kingdom of Lethe, Death comes, in the form of a grim Spaniard, to claim his Bride. Until she is found, in a single time-stopping moment all dying stops. There is no relief for the mortally wounded and the terminally ill....

Covered in white cobwebs of a thousand snow spiders she lies in the darkness... Her skin is cold as snow... Her eyes, frozen... Her gaze, fiercely alive...

While kings and emperors send expeditions to search for a suitable Bride for Death, armies of the undead wage an endless war... A black knight roams the forest at the command of his undead father... Spies and political treacheries abound at the imperial Silver Court.... Murdered lovers find themselves locked in the realm of the living...

Look closer -- through the cobweb filaments of her hair and along each strand shine stars...

And one small village girl, Percy -- an unwanted, ungainly middle daughter -- is faced with the responsibility of granting her dying grandmother the desperate release she needs.

As a result, Percy joins the crowds of other young women of the land in a desperate quest to Death's own mysterious holding in the deepest forests of the North...

And everyone is trying to stop her.

Cobweb Bride Trilogy
Book 1: Cobweb Bride
Book 2: Cobweb Empire
Book 3: Cobweb Forest

Summary: COBWEB BRIDE (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, Book One) is a history-flavored fantasy novel with romantic elements of the Persephone myth, about Death's ultimatum to the world. What if you killed someone and then fell in love with them?In an alternate Renaissance world, somewhere in an imaginary "pocket" of Europe called the Kingdom of Lethe, Death comes, in the form of a grim Spaniard, to claim his Bride. Until she is found, in a single time-stopping moment all dying stops. There is no relief for the mortally wounded and the terminally ill. (From back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Vera Nazarian's book Cobweb Bride was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Vera Nazarian is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible