In The Company of Wolves: Thinning the Herd…

In The Company of Wolves: Thinning the Herd

by James Michael Larranaga

*Book source ~ NetGalley

Quin Lighthorn is working undercover for the FBI at Safe Haven in an attempt to find out what happened to two agents. While finding the agents is his top priority it’s not long before he starts unraveling a much bigger problem and since he’s not the most mentally stable guy he’s not positive he’s finding what he thinks he’s finding. What’s real and what’s part of his imagination?

I had high hopes for this story, but the more I read the more confused I became. Is Quin mentally unstable? Or does he possess some kind of psychic gift? It’s hard to say. The plot is not very sophisticated. In fact, it’s very simplistic. And Quin experiences some serious TSTL moments. So dumb that I want to shake some sense into him. I mean, really?! Anyway, I enjoy the wolf trivia, but the comparison to the characters in the book to wolves got tiresome after awhile. I do like the plot revolving around viatical settlements. It seems like there should have been other murder mysteries with that plotline, but I can’t recall any. In spite of the flaws though I wouldn’t mind reading more about Quin and his companions. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Nov 10, 2016 |
Very good. I didn't have much idea what it was about as I went into it and at first thought it would prove to be about big business corruption, which I don't usually read. However, at approx 24% a lot of things were starting to happen: murder, undercover work taking place within a brokerage which buys out life insurance policies. Quin is a very intriguing character with many flaws and yet philosophical. He has mental health issues, several really, and we find out he's an unreliable narrator. In fact, a lot of the time it seemed as if everybody was double dealing or spies on the inside so the reader couldn't know what to believe. There are some loose threads and plot holes but the action sped along at top speed creating an uncertain ending in which we must read the next book to learn more. I'd really like to follow Quin into the next chapter of his life so I've just bought the reasonably priced sequel. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 2, 2016 |
In the Company of Wolves: Thinning the Herd is the first book in a new series by James Michael Larranaga. Quin Lighthorn begins his job as an intern at Safe Haven, a firm that specializes in viatical settlements - buying life insurance policies from terminal policy holders for a reduced amount. What the firm doesn't know is that Quin is an undercover bounty hunter for the FBI - or is he? Quin has left a mental health facility to take on this undercover assignment.

Since Quin claimed to previously work for the forestry department tracking wolves, each chapter is organized as a time and day, and opens with a fact or reference to wolves and their behavior. In the novel Quin's co-workers at Safe Haven are all compared to wolves and wolf packs in the hierarchy and behaviors they exhibit too.

Let me just say right up front that Quin is an unreliable narrator but you aren't going to know that immediately. Now, I can roll with that, but the number of twists and turns and additional information that suddenly popped up frustrated me. I was intrigued with the additional information the first few times it happened. I can accept an unreliable narrator and changing perspectives of the plot as more information is revealed, however, at a certain point the number of new revelations became slightly ridiculous.

And let me go on record to say that Quin's therapist violated all sorts of HIPPA regulations. The college and professor violated FERPA laws. Any professional can't just spout off and tell anyone everything they want to know about their patients or students just because they ask or because they made up a good story.

Setting those misgivings aside, Larranaga's novel held my attention right to the end and I followed along as it twisted and convulsed right up to the "to be continued" ending. Take heed of this fact if it's going to bother you that all the questions aren't answered.

This is a hard one to rate. It started out strong, dwindled perilously low, and slowly redeemed itself to rise again. I'm going to Recommend In the Company of Wolves: Thinning the Herd, maybe even highly because I am still interested in reading what happens next.

Disclosure: My Kindle advanced reading copy was courtesy of the author via Netgalley for review purposes.
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
An intriguing novel featuring Quin Lighthorn, a bounty hunter with second sight.
This is the second book in this very entertaining series involving Native Americans, the FBI and featuring the battle at Wounded Knee and the infamous Crazy Horse.
I haven't read the first book so will do so, as apparently some of the characters in this were introduced then.
Looking forward to third also.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Kirkus via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Received this book from NetGalley, apparently the author wrote it sometime ago and has recently released it on to e-readership. I greatly enjoyed this read as it related the actions of the characters to the life and society of wolves. The hero is cast in the roll of an "omega" wolf, the lowest pack member, who along with another omega succeed in overturning a corrupt business enterprise which preys on its clients, the weak and dying. Naturally, the "alpha" wolf or pack leader is the head of the corrupt organization. It was interesting to have the humans' actions depicted in terms of the wolf pack and its survival techniques. Interesting as well as the author leaves it up to the reader to decide whether survival or human morality are in some manner inherently evil, or simply a matter of perspective. In short an interesting book, leaves open the option for a sequel which I will read if it is published. Enjoyed it and will recommend.
  dmclane | Apr 27, 2013 |

James Michael Larranaga is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible