The Iron Queen by Kaitlin Bevis

The Iron Queen

by Kaitlin Bevis

195537,190 (3.69)None

This is the third book in the Daughters of Zeus series. I have enjoyed the YA mythology in this series, but this was the weakest book of the series yet. There are spoilers ahead if you haven’t read the previous two books in this series.

Persephone has been captured by Zeus. Zeus wants Persephone to swear fealty to him so that he can have access to all the worlds. Zeus is torturing Persephone mercilessly and Persephone hopes that she can withstand the torture and not give in. Meanwhile Hades would do anything to find and save Persephone; even if it means breaking the whole world to do it.

The story switches POV a lot and is a bit scattered. We spends a lot more time reading from Aphrodite’s point of view and honestly I just don’t like her much. You can tell that Bevis is trying to wrap up Persephone's story and endear Aphrodite to the reader. I am guessing the next book will feature Aphrodite and the three guys that she is interested in right now.

There's a ton of new characters in here as the Gods and Goddesses try to band together to nullify Zeus. However, none of them stood out all that much. We meet Athena and Artemis and Ares, and they are pretty stereotypical for what you would expect based on traditional Greek mythology.

The fact that Persephone is tortured the majority of the story (just like in the 2nd book) made me a bit queasy. It wasn’t fun to read about and additionally it was pretty boring because it felt like the same plot device that was used in the 2nd book was being used again. And I mean...come on...how much torture does one poor teenage girl need to go through!

The chemistry and heat between Persephone and Hades was lacking in this book and not nearly as compelling as in the first two books. They acted more like an older married couple despite the fact that they were just starting to fall for each other in book 2. I found it a bit unsatisfying.

As mentioned above this book seems to wrap up Persephone’s story. Towards the end of the book Aphrodite was getting a lot more page space. The main storyline regarding Zeus was also wrapped up, but then a little twist was thrown in that will most likely carry on to the next book.

Overall this book was okay but not as good as the first two books in this series. I think my main issue was reading so much of the story from Aphrodite’s point of view...I don’t like her and I don’t want to read about her. I also felt like the plot was more scattered and the new Gods and Goddesses introduced were kind of blah. I probably won’t keep reading this series; especially if the next book follows Aphrodite. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 28, 2015 |
4.5 Stars
Book 3 in the Daughters of Zeus series is awesome. It's not really a stand-alone book, so make sure you read book 1 and 2 before starting this YA novel. A modern interpretation of the Persephone/Hades myth that gives life to an old story. The same wonderful characters are in this book and some new characters make an appearance too. The story is told via multiple POVs and the MCs (especially Persephone) have really developed since the first installment. I hope the author continues with these characters and storyline. This series is perfect for YA readers, especially those who enjoy Greek Gods stories.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Jun 28, 2015 |
**Review written for an originally posted on my blog, Book Bliss.I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased and honest review**

Review: 3.5 stars

General: It saddens me to have to give a lower review to the conclusion of the trilogy. I still completely enjoyed the book and devoured it just as quickly as the first two. However, it was because I sought conclusion that I was doing so as a writing style was really throwing a curve in the works. There was also a bit of confusion for me in some area’s of the “planning” that I felt may have been rushed.

This book picks up moments where book 2 ended. However when it picks up we are suddenly in multiple POV depending on the chapter we are in. I do not want to give away the narrators as it could indicate spoilers. The shift was not a bad choice. Persephone was away from the others and I loved getting to know all sides. I do not think one of the narrators was necessary but I have to wonder if it was a setup for another book. The issue came with the characters. When Persephone was narrating each and every person had a distinct and unique personality. Yet, the other narrators sounded exactly like Persephone to the point where a few times I had to go back and read the name at the beginning of the chapter. For me it pulled me out of the story and almost rushing through the chapters that weren’t her.

Now with that being said, the plot is amazing, just like the others. Continuing on the trend of being completely original and filled with danger my heart broke and cried out for Persephone many times in the book. Having her isolated had me on the edge of my seat waiting for them to get her and I absolutely loved all the side work with the additional gods. Overall this was a fantastic ending and I would kill for more books, but due to characters all seeming like 1 and not being, I have to give it a lower score.

Characters: Persephone- Persephone finished her growth in this novel. Deception and torture have shaped her in a way that you won’t believe. She is still all she was before but she’s also so much more and such a wonderfully perfect character. ( )
  BookBliss2013 | Dec 12, 2013 |
Wow. That's really all I can say after finishing this series- wow.

This incredible adventure Persephone and Hades have been on together, has been simply fantastic. With so many ups and downs, the drama of their story is wrapped into this final book. The grief, pain, angst, love, and loss in this series, and especially this book, is perfect for a Greek tragedy. I found myself shocked, happy, sad, and in the end, torn and simply left emotionally exhausted, in the way a great book leaves you.

It's always difficult to write a review for the third book in the series, when trying to avoid spoilers. Following Greek mythological creatures, in a modern world, makes for a fascinating story. These characters are famous in their own rights, and after this story, you'll never think of any of them the same way again. This is obviously a book you can read only after reading the first two in the series. It is, however, a series and a book I would recommend to anyone who enjoys dramatic adventures, based on Greek mythology.

*I was given an eBook copy, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.

Be sure to check out my blog post for this book! Includes a dream cast, character bios, excerpts, an author interview, and for a limited time, a giveaway!! Check it out here: http://desertrosereviews.blogspot.com/2013/11/daughters-of-zeus-trilogy-reviews.... ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Nov 16, 2013 |
Full review on Reader's Dialogue: http://readersdialogue.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-iron-queen.html

What a powerful whirlwind end to this section of the series! There's such a sense of movement throughout the whole book, as the gods speed around the worlds, both in reality and in dreams.

The heightened danger and urgency is helped along by the varying points of view in each chapter. At first, I was thrown off by the changing perspectives, but once I got into the rhythm, it made the pace lightning fast while still showing each event really clearly. That's part of what adds to the sense of movement also, as each character is in a different place for each event.

Persephone's torture is horrific to hear about, but thankfully we actually see it only the first time and only hear about it after that. Any questions about Persephone's strength and right to Hades' admiration are laid to rest by the way Persephone stands strong, and then again by the way she reacts to Aphrodite's offer to help get her out of the torture.

Hades' love is such a powerful force, and I was glad that we got to see inside his mind this book. I love how all the gods are so clinical in their quest to stop Zeus while Hades is full of emotion and recklessness - much the way Persephone behaved in the previous books!

There's so much heartbreak in this book. So much emotion. A great book! ( )
  EstherShaindel | May 26, 2013 |

Life is hell for Persephone. Zeus will stop at nothing to gain access to the living realm and the Underworld, and as the only living god with a right to both, Persephone's in trouble. Captured and tortured beyond the limits of her resolve, Persephone must find the power to stand against Zeus. But will she be strong enough?… (more)

Kaitlin Bevis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible